Monday, October 17, 2022

Dante V Canto XIII Scene I

 Canto XIII

Second Terrace; Envious

Scene I

“Do you envy me, Virgil?” Dante asked the other. They had reached the new terrace which was a cornice; an overhanging mass of hardened snow at the edge of a mountain precipice. It was marble but with a white surface.

“Envy? Of you, Poet?” Virgil replied. He had stood next to Dante and looked at their surroundings. “If to enquire one wait here for others.”

“You have not ---“Dante was cut off.

“No, I don’t. I am a construct like you are now but you managed to attract radical atoms that gave you a form --- a physical form. Putting that aside, you are a living soul with a physical body to return to but for myself, I am --- will remain a construct; a program.” Virgil stopped there. “I will never be you. With that, I have no necessity to envy you.”

“Why do you question me, Poet?”

“Envy is more like want or desire; somewhat more intense than zeal. It's like the green monster in us when we get jealous. The Book says it’s more akin to envious. It’s all of us, the coveting what was not ours ---- coveting the lover that is not yours.” Dante smiled. 

“I did and married her despite her misgivings, and regretted it later. She was my second wife.” Virgil returned the smile. “Or rather my real self. I am just the imaginary self here.” Virgil snapped it back towards Dante. “You may not know it.”

“You may not but I do envy you, Virgil.” Dante placed on the weak smile. “You won’t die here---literally.”

“Thanks for the afterthought. Do shut me down properly.” Virgil then motioned to Dante to rest there. He then stepped away to observe the place they were at for any signs of any souls there.

“If to enquire one wait here for souls, I fear that perhaps our choice will have too much delay.” Dante looked upwards to the sky and seek the sun position on his right and turned left to shine on his back. He felt the confidence inside surfacing.

“O sweet light, with confidence in which I enter on the new road, do thou lead us onto it,” Dante sighed. “As there is need for leading here within. Thou warmest the world, thou shinest upon it’ if other reasons prompt not to the contrary, they rays ought ever to be guided.”

“Huh? Another selection of quotes from the poems? Poet, do me a favor, please. I am for ----real, sounding ironic am keen to complete this task without the need to be reminded me of the poem’s words.”

“What is it with you, Virgil? Yu have not rebuked me on my poetic quotes.” Dante was surprised at the change of perception by the companion of his.

“I don’t ---maybe a glitch in my program.” Virgil then saw what appeared to be souls in flight or appearing to be with the inviting arms. The first soul passed Virgil with a melodic voice ‘Vinum non habent’ (water into wine). That was the verse from John 2:3 during the wedding feast in Cana of Galilee which Mary said to Jesus. It was the first miracle displayed then by Jesus. The host had declared there was no more wine, and water was asked to be served by Jesus. When it was served, the water turned into wine.

“What the voices are these?” Dante asked.

“Love them for whom ye have evil.” That was the reply heard by Dante. He gave it the thoughts towards it and then spoke.

“We must be at the Second Terrace of Purgatory; Envious. In here, the sin of envy is removed, by means of love. As in love thy neighbor.” Dante explained. “The curb must of the contrary sound; I believe, according to my judgment, that thou wilt heard it before thou arrived at the pass of pardon.”

“Do tell me of them. They were not there just now.” Virgil motioned for Dante. He looked in front and saw shades with cloaks in color not different from the stones. He heard then called out for ‘Mother Mary’ to pray for them, and all the other saints.

It was a plea for mercy.

Dante approached the group, seated there on the ground, clad in the coarse haircloth; patches of rough texture sewen by the thick threads. They held the heavy look of grief in their expression; one seen by the condemned man before the final act to remove their living of the soul. Some of them looked like to be without the gift of sight for their eyes were sewn shut with the rough threads, that were used on their clothes. They leaned on one another for support using the sensory of touch to feel their surroundings. They wait as if those who did with the pardons who stepped off the steps at the Houses of Worships to beg what can be offered, not by their plea but by their sight they offered.

“O folk, assured of seeing the Light on high which your desire has alone in its care, may grace speedily dissolve the scum from off your conscience so that the stream of memory may flow down through it clear, to tell me, for it will be gracious and dear to me if there be a soul here among you ---that is of my city.” Dante offered his prayer for them.  

“O brother, what is of your city? Each of us is a citizen of their city, but thou meanest one who will live in the city of yours, while a pilgrim we have yet to reach there.” It was one of them in the group who was further away. “Our sight was taken but we shall see the path that will take us there.”

“Excuse my ignorance but ---” Virgil had heard the words spoken and approached Dante.

“They spoke of the City of Heaven. They seek it even in their blindness.” Dante then approached the one who spoke and saw there was no difference in the outlook of that one from the others.

“You shall for the ones who will ascend to reach there.” Dante offered his solace towards them. “Make yourself known to mem of your true name and city?”

“I am named Sapia, and was of Siena.” The figure looked towards Dante. It was a familiar face seen before; one of victor in a grand battle. Dante could not place the recognition and was cleared of his doubts soon.

“I was the one who planned but was usurp by the others above my rank on the actual battle which we lost; we were routed and yet I rejoice. I saw the retreat; experienced the joy unmatched then that I turned to face God; Henceforth no more I fear thee; as the blackbird does because of a little fair weather. It was my envious feel that I soon sought my repentance with God; and yet my debt would not have been lessened by penitence, for a fellow officer who prayed for me.”

Dante heard the soul there and was interrupted by Virgil who whispered to him.

“I know of her. My records stated that she was from the Federation, and was one among those who were arrested for their defeat at the Battle of Seina, whom she was one with the city and betrayed us with the reveal of the routes at the River of Talamone to attack but were thwarted by the efforts of one our spies. It was a grand battle and one of the rare ones lost by the Federation. It was recorded that they were punished, and not seen. Perhaps---”

“They are here as the offender or in the eyes of the Doctor, a new set of sins for him to work with. She may be of the Federation does not revoke her rights to the purging of her sins. She had repented ---” Dante was cut off by Virgil.

“Does clemency be allowed for the mass ---” Virgil was, in turn, cut off.

“Virgil, it not for us to judge. We saw it in Hell the ones who had yet to fulfill their penance, in truth, we are in a dimension unreal and all of their needs to be saved be it the mortal enemy or friends.” Dante hit back. “This is not real.”

“Who then hath led thee up here among us. If thou thinkest to return below? Are you an Angel unseen by us with our sight?” The one named Sapia asked.

“This one who is with mem and who says not a word.” Dante turned towards Virgil to still his comments. “I am ---alive; a living soul or spirit elect if thou wouldst that on earth I should yet move for thee my mortal feet. I hold no flight with wings.”

Dante shuffled his legs on the ground heard but unseen by the other.

“Oh, this is so strange a thing to hear,” Sapia said. “That is a great sign that God loved thee to among the Angels; therefore, then assist me with thy prayer. And I beseech thee, that if thou ever tread the earth of my city, thou could restore me to good fame among my kindred.”

“I will be moving on, Sapia. Your request will be carried out.” Dante replied to the soul there and then motioned Virgil along.

“Who are you who could see and is alive?” The call rang out then. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...