Thursday, October 6, 2022

Dante Book IV Canto VII Scene I

 Canto VII

Valley of Princes

Scene I

It finally came to an end when the figure offered to guide them on ahead but then it stopped in his tracks. He raised both his hands to cup over his eyes at the forehead and peek into the distance. What could be seen then was the setting sun.

“You can’t march on in the dim light. The path is not safe then. The unnamed may come out then and peril may be yours if you are seen.”

“Then tell us, wise man. Do we stay camp here the night?” Virgil asked.

“I have said to be seen on the path is not safe. You have to be taken to shelter. I know of the place but are you of any Royal descent?” The figure to Virgil again. “Who are you again?”

“Before the souls worthy to ascend to God were turned to this monstrous structure, my bone had been buried by Octavian; I am Virgil, and for now other sin did I lose Heaven for not having faith.”

“Octavian? I can see your link to the royalty but hush when you reach the shelter. There are many more there than if you were to smell the flatulence of theirs, it may be scented by their aides to avoid embarrassment.”

“Pardon my feeble old mind, my memories do not fail me; it just dissipates inside.” The figure sighed and bent down his brow. “Oh, glory be of Florence, though whom our language showed what it could do, eternal honor of the place wherefrom I was, what merit of what grace shows thee to me? If I am worthy to hear thy words, tell me if thou comest from Hell, and from what cloisters.”

“Wowed! Many sweet words but my tenure in Limbo told me to nimble in my choice of words. For the moment, I have arrived from Hell, and what cloister, I was through all the circles of the realm of woe, and I come hither; the power of Heaven moved me, and with it, I come. Not by doing, but not doing have I lost the sight of the Sun which marks our need to move or faced what is there during the darkness.”

“See how already the day declines, and to go by night is not possible; therefore, it’s well to think of some fair sojourn.” Trust Dante to be objective. He had seen or experienced Hell, and his survival sense kicked in.

“See, only this line thou could not pass after the sunset, not, however, that aught else the nocturnal darkness would give hindrance to going up; that hampers the will with impotence. One might indeed, in the darkness turn downward, and walk the path wandering around, while the horizon holds the day shut up.” The figure voiced out.

“Lead us then, there where thou sayest one may have delight in waiting.” Virgil cut in. The figure motioned ahead. We took it and after a short walk, we saw the new path. It was the one-off chance. It was a very huge chance on that man-made structure.

The new path took them a plane where they stumbled on a new group of souls who were unlike the indolent, for these were living a life of comfort. What amazed Dante was that the place was furnished with flowery motifs and comfortable benches.

“This is madness? We are in Purgatory albeit manmade, and there are a group of miscreants of souls indulging there is a flamboyant lifestyle.” Virgil was exasperated at the sight. “I have been in Limbo and we had no such luxury.”

The figure who led them there overhead Virgil and added his comment on those souls.

“Who you meet are the ones who sit the highest, and has the semblance of having neglected that which they should have done, and who moves not his mouth to the other's songs.” The figure explained the nonchalant attitude there.

“There sits Rudolph, Ottokar, Philip the Bold, and Henry III, they were leaders who were elevated above their negligent subjects because they were too pre-occupied by the special needs and made it difficult to think about the welfare of their subjects.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatorio#The_Late-Repentant).

“Old Guide, you are judgemental here. Why did you bring us here?” Dante looked at the figure.

“For your question, they are here because they were too pre-occupied with their roles, that repentance was not on their agenda. They decided to pursue their lifestyle even here.” The guide related on.

“Wait---- tell me who are they?” Dante asked. “The names are too familiar.”

The old guide repeated the names.

“They have embedded the identities to blend in. The whole Purgatory here is a setup.” Dante looked at the ones seated there. He tried to recall their faces. They looked familiar but no names came to him.

“I will take a ---- I need a break.” Dante steps aside to rest. Virgil was surprised at Dante. He thought that Dante was advised earlier that they are not real here as in the physical being but the mind of the other may have reset the thought. He then looked to Cato who was looking at the souls there.

“I am trying to place an identification of the ones here through facial recognition of the database of prisoners from the Empire. I could not find a match and will flag to the other databases.” Cato explained to Virgil.

“Why is that?” Virgil asked.

“As Dante said, he does not recognize any of them therefore it's inconclusive that they are not important to offer this sub-routine here. It does fit with the readings of Dante’s original works but if the purpose of his prison was not to brainwash as a punishment and this does not look like a punishment.”

“This was Dante’s interpretation of God’s mode of cleansing at Purgatory which the ones there had the mean to do something but did not, and even though when they repented, God does want them in Heaven as yet,” Virgil spoke and then smiled. “It was my analysis from the works, and may not be conclusive. No one has read Dante’s work truly understood his words but they do know he was a rebel and this was his form of assassinating the characters that he placed in different parts of the poems.”

“Like whom those he met at Hell?” Cato’s expression was seen to be taken in by the high brows above his eyes. “My readings displayed to me that everyone who arrives in Purgatory is already saved. However, many thousands of years a given soul might require for its purgation—for although there are particular sufferings coordinated to particular vices, the true currency of Purgatory is time spent in the second realm—every soul who comes to this place will be saved when the time comes to an end.” (https://digitaldante.columbia.edu/dante/divine-comedy/purgatorio/purgatorio-2/).

“So, to you, Purgatory is a way-station for saved souls, a place and a condition in which an already saved soul works to be completely freed from the underlying impulses that lead to sin. Employing its journey up the mountain, a soul that is saved when it arrives in purgatory is made.” (https://digitaldante.columbia.edu/dante/divine-comedy/purgatorio/purgatorio-2/).

“Hold on,” Cato hit the pause button. “I found them.”

“They are statesmen of the Federation and were deemed to be dead or missing. It would seem that they are imprisoned here and due to their status, they were given an existence --- or rather empty existence of indulgence, but unknowingly that they will never reach the end game of their career.” Cato spoke.

“I guess you can’t terminate your leader by physical means and they can’t be voted out but they can be degraded mentally to the level of being an imbecile than to be seen as an incompetent leader.” Virgil smiled.

“Which comes to my role here? I am leaving as in terminating myself from the program. I am needed elsewhere to be of more assistance.” Cato told Virgil. “With you here now, and having reviewed your competence, you will continue your lead with Dante.”

“As both of us are constructs, I won’t argue nor woo over the call. I will take over from here, and do appear when you could ----”

“Virgil, do not let your sub-routines override your main program lines. Stay on the line and take care. Dante is all yours once more.” Cato then disappeared.

“Awesome! I got stuck here and the miscreant gets a server tour.” Virgil sighed. “Surely does not pay to be a construct. And God, if you do exist, spare a truth for us constructs. We do need a place to reside after termination. Like our own Shangri-la and not the dumpsite of irrelevant programs. Being erased is cruel.”

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...