Monday, October 24, 2022

Dante V Canto XVI Scene II

 Canto XVI

Third Terrace; I need to know

Scene II

“You claimed that God is with you, and yet you trekked your journey through here. You are a living soul and not an Angel with God. How can you place yourself to the level of the Angels?” Marco looked at Dante. “Are you not with a soul and the free will to do the journey, and why must you claim to be with God to make it. Does it help you at all?”

“I ---” Dante looked for words to rebuke but Marco went on.

“Were we not given the free will as in our thoughts to make our decision? That is why I felt my wrath will not be lifted even though I am here in Purgatory. I pray thou point out to be the cause, so that I may see it, and that I may show it to others, for one set in the heaven and the one here below.”

“Then why don’t you move till you are purged?” It was Virgil who cut in. “Then you may be purged.”

“No, Virgil. Let him speak. He has much in him. What is your wrath?” Dante looked to the one named Marco. “Explain your wrath. I will listen.”

“Brother who still holds the living, the world is blind, and thou truly comest from it. You who are living refer every cause upwards to the heavens only, as though they moved all things with them of necessity. If this were so, free will be destroyed in you, and there would be no justice in having joy for good and grief for evil.” Marco motioned around him. “The Heaves initiate your movements I do not say all of them”

Virgil saw in Dante the expression of deep thoughts. Marco went on with his words.

“Supposing that I said it, light for good.” Marco motioned to the darkness that was around them, yet where he stood with Dante, it was light. “And for the darkness which represents evil is given to you ---- ours sins, and free will, which though it may endure fatigue in the first battles with the heavens, afterward, it will be well nurtured, overcomes everything.”

“It’s here, we are purged before we go to Heaven.” Dante cut in.

“Well can’t thou see that the evil guidance is the cause which made the world guilty, and not nature is corrupt in you?”: Marco went on with his explanation.

“To a greater force, and a better nature, free it will be, that creates the mind in you, which the heavens have not in their charge, therefore if the present world goes astray, the cause is in you, in you to be sought; and of I will be a true informant for thee,” Marco spoke of the free will in the living.

“As in Rome of the ancient time, have had two Suns, which made visible both one road and the other, that of the world and that of God. One had extinguished the other, and the sword is joined to the crozier; and those two together must perforce go ill, because being joined, one fears no other.” Dante quoted the original works of his idol, Dante Alighieri.

“Marco, I heed thee,” Dante said to Marco.

“Behold the brightness which rays already whitening through the smoke, and I must need depart --- the Angel is there --- before I become apparent to him.” Marco turned and walked to the sudden clearing of the darkness and was not seen anymore after that.

Dante stood there with Virgil with the latter inquiring on what had transpired between the two.

“Marco explained to me the role I was to embark here. I am not of this place and here on my free will. I must not succumb myself to the happenings here to believe God created all this but take my journey in my free will. When I co-joined my thoughts and beliefs, I was taken in by the program --- that’s where we are here now. I become imprisoned in the program. The designed program was to break down our will to adhere to the settings in the program but I can defy it with my own will. I am not its prisoner. I hold the freedom to think and with it, I shall not be subdued.” Dante looked at Virgil.

“We are the odd ones here. We can get through the task.” Dante smiled. “I shall not be bound by the program.”

“You mean Marco explained all that to you just now when I was talking about it --- and even Cato was doing the same since we met you here. Are you truly mad, Poet?” Virgil turned away. “I am wasted here as your companion.”

“Let’s us move on, Virgil. We have to challenge the program, not for our free will but for the others.”

“Indeed, my creator Virgil. Dante here is mad.” Virgil then followed on.

 

Note: Purgatory Canto XVI here was a real challenge. Unlike Inferno, I stuck to the script translated (there were many to find one I could relate to), and then doing the write-on Inferno was knocking ten pins at the lanes. I may have missed some and then took the next ball to do my best. It may end with shouting ‘howzat’; pardon me there, that was cricket hooray. I think is the gentle way of saying ‘you know what I mean but more decently said to avoid any embarrassing looks, after all, it’s a gentlemen’s game.

So, they were rabbit holes but these rabbit holes led me onto a series of connectivity in my digs. It took me some readings to come up with my writing. I learned more understanding at the depth of Dante’s words here.

There are two parts to the passages here.

The first one was simple; wrath is a sin to be purged but when you come to the second part, wrath is in us. It’s inside us and unlike the sins of Hell, we can serve out in ‘penance’ for it by the punishment. As wrath represents pain and anger in us, any form of punishment may be contrary to ‘purging’ the wrath. Punishment may be considered as retaliation instead of redeeming the peace inside us. As a child may be given the cane may feel that pain was to not do what caused the canning, but in some instances, it may strengthen the child to fight the pain with more defiance.

Hence came Marco’s passages. I read the many interpretations of the passages and like a dedicated decipherer (pardon the self-praise here.  I will serve my penance in Hell later). I tried to link the meanings of Marco’s words to the discourse and the segregation of laws (Marco was an insistence to be heard) and finally ---- finally I have done it. (I did have bronchial irritation then and drank the soothing syrups).

I think the passages were written herewith. It was about Dante’s mind on free will and not to be controlled like the others in the program. The main plot of the tale was the program created to keep the thoughts of the prisoner that they are in Purgatory (or Hell previously).

It does rhyme with the words Dante’s. I darn hope I got it right. Or was it ‘bonne chance'. (Good luck).

I just to share with you some of the links I went through in my ‘daze’.

(https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Checks_and_balances)

(https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+human+nature+in+politics&oq=why+human+nature+and+&aqs=chrome.6.69i57j0i22i30l9.13328j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_retribution)

(http://danteworlds.laits.utexas.edu/purgatory/05wrath.html)

(https://1000wordphilosophy.com/2018/11/26/descartes-i-think-therefore-i-am/)

(https://www.businessinsider.com.au/why-people-dont-follow-directions-2013-8)

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...