Sunday, March 21, 2021

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.2 Chapter 11

 

11.

Esmeralda got the written note and then ran to meet the Padre. He was waiting for her at the darker alley and when he saw her, he pulled her to the far end.

“Chey, I had to see you. Your Voivode had forbidden me to see you.” Marcus Luiz looked at the girl. “I bring you grave news. The Enforcers are looking for you.”

“The Captain released me. He told me to stay away as usual.”

“No. Not the ones at the Dome but from the City. They want you for some crimes I know not of.” Raoul had the news from the communication unit he had with him. “The Captain told them he had released you and should be back at the Community.”

“I … I can’t leave. I have nowhere to go. The Community is my family.” Esmeralda was in anguish. “Tell me, Padre. Where can I go?”

“You … You can go to the Dome. I will speak to the Archdeacon to let you in. The Enforcers have no jurisdiction there.” Marcus looked to her. “Trust me. It’s safer there.”

“The Dome? I can’t. It’s not allowed to me. Even the Voivode had told me not to go there.” Esmeralda sighed. “I can’t go against her.”

“You will be safe there. I can protect you.” Raoul sounded desperate. “I meant I can talk to the Archdeacon. He will protect you.”

“I …I can be there. I am sorry, Padre. I need to go back now.” Esmeralda left Raoul standing alone.

“It’s not that simple, Raoul Luiz.” Raoul turned to look at who was addressing him. It was Pierre Gringoire standing there in the three piece suit.

“Pierre…”

“Don’t be coy with me, Archdeacon. I knew of you for as long time. I was with the Community to see what was your motive there? I had seen it. Your lust for the girl who is half your age is truly damning.” Pierre Gringoire smiled. “I ought to report you to the Tribunal of Deacons.”

“The Pierre Gringoire in person reporting me when he himself a washout. As if civilization is not yet so far advanced that may one may go stark naked, as Diogenes of old wished to do.” Raoul mocked the other with words that only the Elites will apprehend given their many modes of deceits. The words said by Raoul was to mock the other of leaving the Elites to hide with the Community as if he was like a serpent shedding its skin for a newer one.

“I do not bring my ways to the Community. I am there for one reason. And Esmeralda…”

“Say not her name, Pierre Gringoire. You will demean her good nature with it. I had seen your eyes on her. That was why she had to leave the Community and you.”

“Says who in that role? Her ‘padre’ or her soon to be lover?” Pierre hit back.

“I am her padre. I am her real padre.” Marcus snapped out. “I left her to be adopted when I was to leave the Community. I was… asked to leave.”

Pierre was stunned. He was not prepared for that statement.

“Who are you, Marcus? I do not recall your name.”

“I am Marcus Luiz the son of Stefan Luiz or you may have heard of him as Stefan the Genius. He is my father. We were…”

“You are the Voivode’s son. I was told that she …”

“My brother is with me. I had to save him from his life of debauchery to bring him to the service of the Dome. I have re-educated him.” Marcus looked towards the Dome. “We have built our life there. I will bring Esmeralda there. We will be one family again.”

“Your brother is there. He was a member of the Truands. They won’t let him alone. He will be hunted.” Pierre had challenged the Truands as the member of the Elites. Their ideals were in conflict. The Truands have used their knowledge to infiltrate the City’s system and vandalize the efforts of the Elites. The master programmer of the Truands was the one named Rival Luiz but he had been missing for some years. Some said he was killed by the Truands or by the Elites which the latter had denied.

“You hid your brother at the Dome?”

“I had to. He was wounded by rivals within Truands. I offered him sanctuary when he sought me at the Dome. I gave him a new life.” Marcus replied. “He had not done any works for the Truands.”

“Rival is a fugitive of both sides. And if you….” Pierre looked at Marcus.

“Hiding one’s identity is not new to both of us. We are in the need to survive.” Marcus glared back at Pierre. “You will do well to conceal this fact if you still want to see Esmeralda.”

“Esmeralda will…”

“Esmeralda will be with me at the Dome. I will get the Captain to bring her back. It’s obvious that she is unsafe here. I will get her back.” Marcus looked at Pierre. “You will help me.”

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...