Saturday, March 27, 2021

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.2 Chapter 12

 

12.

Esmeralda was taken by the City Enforcers and her captor leader was surprised that the girl will be sent to the Dome. The Chief was surprised but his efforts to communicate with the Elite member were ignored. He had to comply and gave the command but there were restrictions.

“We will not allow her to be taken.” The Voivode stood there with defiance on the arrest of the girl. She was backed up by the Community who had harbored resentment for the Enforcers.

“Voivode, we are not here to battle your Community. We are here to take the girl. She is to be questioned on the riot at the Dome.” The Chief had explained his action.

“Esmeralda was released unconditionally from the Dome.” The Voivode told the Chief. “You have no grounds to arrest her.”

That was the unanswered issue to the Chief and the person he was trying to get confirmation was not answering him.

“I cannot say much for I am told to bring her back. Please work with us.” The Chief looked at the gathered there. He assessed the number facing him numbered about thirty from the Community. He has ten of his Enforcers with him and they are armed with heavy firepower guns.

“Chief, I would suggest that you return to your office. We will not give her up.” The Voivode was adamant on it. It was to her surprise that Esmeralda appeared then.

“I will go with you if you do not harm the Community.”   

“Chey, you are not to go. We will….” The Voivode spoke to the girl but she ignored her.

“I will go with you. Take me to the Dome.” Esmeralda approached the Chief. She then turned to the others in the Community. “Let no one stop me. Go back to your home. I will be fine.”

“Chey, if you leave with them you could be gone forever.” The Voivode looked at Esmeralda.

“I know, Voivode. I am to do this for the sake of the Community. I am the cause of the riot.”

“You are a fool, chey.” The Voivode eyes watered with tears.

“We are fools on this occasion. It’s the festival of Fools.” Esmeralda held out her hands to the Chief. “Take me.”

Pierre stood a distance away and saw the standoff. He then communicated to the Archdeacon.

“She is on her way to the Dome. We have a deal.”

From some reason, I was kept at the charging spot by the Caretaker. He was tinkering with my storage compartments and backing up the programs. I felt unusual but I am a droid. I should not question his intentions.

“You are my creation and it may be working. I just need to check those routines.” The Caretaker stopped his work and looked at my head piece. I could sense his sight was on my frontal head piece.

“If you can hear me, you piece of metal heap. I am your creator. I installed in the programs to see if I can make you …. Compliant to our emotional state. You may have done that. If it was working, I had progress the works of my father to near completion.” The Caretaker released the laughter of joy. He was interrupted by the communication unit.

“Caretaker, I must see you now. Meet me at the balcony.”

The Caretaker made his way to the balcony and saw the Archdeacon there. He was alone and had removed his mask. It was the sign that they were to communicate on a personal level.

“Marcus, you called for me.?”

“Yes, Rival. Your work may have been discovered. The Captain suspects something.” Marcus looked at his brother. “We …”

“I was careful ever since I placed in the hidden files. What did the Captain say? He had me questioned but I did not reveal anything.”

“The Captain did not tell me much except the servers had crashed. He was accessing … Quasimodo files. Your ....”

“I have implanted in malicious program should there be an inquiry into Quasimodo. You knew that too.” Rival replied. “I have Quasimodo in my chamber. I have seen the data. He was accessing…”

“Do not address Quasimodo as a person. It’s still a droid. It’s …. what it is and will be that forever.” Marcus snapped at his brother. “My life here was fine and when you came to me with the wounds, out of brotherly love, I took you in. I had you placed here. I allowed your desires to work on father’s legacy as I had done with the droid but you will not destroy my life here. I have sacrificed a lot to be the Archdeacon.”

“Yes, Marcus. I know. I will be more …. Diligent with the programs. I can erased what is in E-05 and wait for the new batch of droids.” Rival sighed. He knew it will be a setback to the works that their father had started.

“Quasimodo is so close to …” Rival was cut off by the brother.

“Do not call it by that name. My … Our existence here is more crucial And more to that, Esmeralda is coming here. I will find her a task suitable for her.”

“Does she know of you? Your role here as Archdeacon?”

“Eventually, she will know. It’s better now than never. I will reveal to her the secret of the display. When she knows of it, she will then understand.” Marcus replaced the mask. “Now leave me, Caretaker. Our new task awaits us all.”

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...