Sunday, March 14, 2021

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.2 Chapter 9

 

9.

The detention of Esmeralda concerned Pierre Gringoire that he had rushed to the City. He knew that the only ones that could override the Captain was the Chief of Enforcers at the City. He had known Raoul Delores for many years when he was a member of the Elites. The former owed him favors for past deeds.

“Raoul, I need your help.” Pierre had approached the Chief of Enforcers. He had changed his attire to that of the City designed wear. It was a three piece suit with the dark leather shoes and the homburg hat.

“Pierre ….. Pierre Gringoire, to what I am owed this privilege?” The Chief of Enforcers was seated behind the desk at the office. He was a huge stout bastard who had survived his career overstepping others or stabbing them in the back. He wore the dark uniform and the knee high boots and the beret similar to the Captain but the City Enforcers wore their beret red. The Chief was armed with the blaster holstered at the right side of the waist belt and the baton on the left side of the desk.

“I have not seen you for a while. Some said you died. Some say you retired. I told all of them Pierre Gringoire is around but he remained low key. If you died, there will be city wide mourning like…. The festival of fools. And you won’t retire. You are too important to retire. Die maybe.” It was a sarcastic remark by the Chief. He knew that Pierre was considered a washout.

But was still a dangerous person.

Pierre Gringoire have the secrets of a lot of very important figures in the City. When they sneezed, they turn to check if Pierre Gringoire was there.

“I was away, Raoul. How have you been doing?” Pierre started off the conversation with small talks.

“I am alive. I can’t say for Felipe. He died horribly. He had drowned in the river.” Raoul placed on the solemn face and offered himself the cross across his chest. Felipe was Raoul’s rival in the City, and Felipe was dead, it could only mean Raoul did it.

“Good. Felipe was a bad man. Raoul, I need your help.” Pierre cut the conversation to the concern of his. “The Captain of the Dome had arrested…”

“Captain Phoebus is a … What was the word you used…I got it… An imbecile.” Raoul struggled with his words. “What did he do now? I heard of the rioting there during the Festival of Fools. I can’t go there unless I have a reason. A valid reason, you know.”

The jurisdiction of the Dome was elusive unless there was a call to assist.

“There is a reason. I was hurt. I was trying to … stop the rioting. You know of my position. I …”

“Yes, you are a Councilor for the City. Why were you there? It’s not the Elites to partake in the festivals. I ..” Raoul was interrupted by Pierre.

“I was there to see the Archdeacon.” Pierre lied. “The commotion caused me to be pushed and I think I lost my … bag there. I saw a girl took it. She was arrested by the Enforcers there. Can you …”

“I will send my men over. She will be brought her for questioning. It must be the gypsies.” Raoul assured Pierre. “Shall I have sent to your place later?”

Raoul had on the cheeky smile. Pierre nodded to the other.

At that moment, the Archdeacon had taken the private route to see Esmeralda. He saw her at the Community and approached her but was intercepted by the Voivode.

“Marcus, I would not have to intervene but the event today was uncalled. Esmeralda was detained.”

“I know, Voivode. I had come to ...”

“I am telling you if she was harmed, we will not hesitate to storm the Dome and punish those who are there.” The Voivode did not hold back her words. “You may not be spared.”

“I had her released. Voivode, I have my past but I have not forgotten it.” Marcus looked at the elderly lady. “I … take care of her.”

“Your past is over, Marcus. I tolerated you here because you are the next one close to her besides her parents. She needed comfort but now I am not sure. If she ever knew of your present, there will be no future for you or her.”

“Please, Voivode. I needed time with her before I can take her away. I can offer her a new life.” Marcus looked at the elderly lady. “One that is not of here but she gets shelter and love.”

“There is nothing lost in our Community. If I was …” The Voivode sighed.

“Mama, I was banished by father. Do not banish me of my love.” Marcus pleaded with his mother. “I was betrothed to her. We were to….”

“Hush, Marcus. Your past is yours. I will not have your presence here anymore. You have not changed your ways. You are not of us. Your father was right. You do not know our ways.” The Voivode said. “Now leave. And don’t return here. I wished I had not the two of you. Your father was a better man then.”

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...