Monday, March 1, 2021

Arthur II Book III Chapter 5

 5.

 

Gawain woke to find himself immersed in the huge bath, and the first thing he sought was his manhood. It was still there and the water there was scented. He looked around and noticed that he was in a warm bedroom of a very familiar place.

“Molly!” Gawain called out.

“You won’t have to shout. I am here.” Molly appeared with a hot soup in a pot which she carried in with a tray. “I do have available rooms; to be exact two rooms of which you are occupying.”

Molly dressed in her work tunic and apron placed the tray on the table near the bath. Gawain sank himself into the water and Molly smiled.

“I have seen enough of you that I have probably seen in my sons.” Molly was married at an earlier age and has two sons. They died at an early age with the father in a raid, and since then Molly had accumulated coins to build the tavern.

“Did you …” Gawain was conscious of his modesty.

“And hello there. I did have the bath prepared for you but the immersion was done by two of my servants.” Molly explained.

“Was it Stella and Mary? Oh, my goodness. They would have….”

“Spare that thought. If it was them, you won’t be alone there.” Molly laughed. “I have the stable boys to help. They took your clothes but I held onto the sword and the empty coin bag.”

“Thank you for that. My coin bag was empty anyway.” Gawain replied. “Molly, what about…”

“I got you some clothes from an errant boarder. It should fit you.” Molly smiled. “He was about your ….. shape.”

It belonged to Galahad but that man was not returning for it.  

“Molly, you did see…” Gawain displayed his annoyance.

“Well. For one, you were drunk and no, I did not see. I merely indicated the shape of your frame. I am not any wench who is keen to get in bedding with anyone let alone you. Or …”

“How is my brother?” Gawain asked.

“I know not nor do I care now,” Molly replied. “Galahad had drifted away from me. As some others had before him.”

“I doubt he has. He likes you. He may have a lot on his mind.” Gawain defended the brother. “He is a …”

“A good man without a doubt but of late, you have been a pain to his side. You get yourself drunk or worse in a brawl, and he had to pull you out. He was tormented by your action.”

“I have my issues. I will sort it out soon.” Gawain submerged his face into the water.

“Well, drowning won’t help you,” Molly told him off. Gawain decided to move the subject.

“I can hear that you and Galahad had …. drifted.” Molly heard the younger man and moved the subject back to him.

“Gawain, I need yourself saved from the misery of love. Whoever she was, she was not worth the tears and meads. Just move on... You cannot be always drunk most times.”

“I do love her.” Gawain cut in.

“And was she worth it?” Molly looked at him. “Who is she?”

“Elaine of Augustus,” Gawain uttered out. “I …”

“She is not worth your sorry arse. What I hear of her, she is a slut. She has been seen with a few men all notable leaders, but she had not remained faithful.”

“Please do decry my love. She may be confused like me. Like Galahad.” Gawain took defense.

“Whatever it’s. Get out and dressed up. There is the hot soup for you and then you can bloody leave here. Your stay has ended.” Molly stepped out and unseen by the young knight, she was heartbroken.

So was one other that was in Camelot.

At that moment, Elaine had stepped away from the bedding. She adjusted her gown and stepped to the wash basin.

“Is that it?” The voice was the Chief on the bedding. He was nude and had his satisfaction which was why Elaine had to wash her hands.

“You are not the one I need.” Elaine had spent the year looking for the champion for her father. She had not succeeded at it. She walked to the doorway and then stopped.

“This is my chamber. You will leave.” Elaine turned to the Chief. “Leave before I called the guards.”

It was then Guinevere stepped in. She saw the nude Chief tossing on the tunic. He did not look pleased.

“Am I interrupting?” Guinevere has bonded with Elaine in the last months.  Since her wedding to Arthur, Guinevere had found a friend with Elaine. They have learned to share their woes, but Guinevere had hidden her most intimate secret; her love for Lancelot.

“Oh, you are not,” Elaine replied. She then turned to look at the silly Chief standing there.

“Move it, miscreant,” Guinevere called out. “I am your Queen.”

The Chief rushed out for he was not to antagonize the King.

“We are alone now. I need to talk to you.” Guinevere looked at Elaine. “I am in need to find Lancelot.”

“Lancelot? He has not been seen for some time.” Elaine replied. “I have not seen him as yet. His reputation preludes him. But why asked of him?”

“I will explain but not now. He will eventually return to Joyous. Find him there.”

“Lancelot has not been seen for some months. What makes you think he will return? Maybe he has died?” Elaine said.

“If Lancelot was killed, his killer will announce it to the land and which he has not died, and then there is no such news. He is probably wandering like when he was the Ghost.”

“Lancelot the Ghost? I heard of the Ghost but I never knew…” Elaine gasped in her words.

“Next to Arthur, Lancelot is the one that could help your father. He is the …. Not the better one but he can be. Find him, Elaine. He may be your last hope.” Guinevere then excused herself to return to her chamber. She was unsure why she asked Elaine to look for Lancelot. Well, she can’t go herself without the permission of Arthur and yet she was concerned about Lancelot. It was true that he had not been seen but words of his exploits were heard from afar.

“When will you return, Lancelot? I missed you.”

At that moment, Lancelot was at the stream to wash himself of the traveling dust and also of his tunic. He stood there in the nude basking in the morning light. The friar had taken to wash upstream and having completed his ritual, he was in prayer.

Lancelot had learned some new things from the friar. He did admit that his upbringing was not normal and the Friar took it upon himself to teach him on God and the words of the book.

“I was not a heretic, as said in your teaching but I was taught other matters.” Lancelot defended himself. “I was taught on the skills and the code of chivalry by the ladies.”

“Aha, the ladies taught you. That could well explain your mannerism.” Friar Tate sighed. “The ever glum and then cheerfulness in them by the movement of the day and night. I will never understand them, ladies.”

“I was not that. I am …. I tend to remain silent most times.” Lancelot snapped back. “Unlike yourself, you are a puppet box with no ends of tales.”

“I am not. I was saying my prayers most times to thank God for allowing us peace in our wanderings. In which to that, I am in need to ask where are we headed?” Friar Tate asked.

“I felt the urge to return to my home. It’s called Joyous.”

“Joyous? I will like that. How far is it?”

“A few days …. Perhaps on your mule but we will make it there.” Lancelot laughed. It was a nice feeling to be back. He wondered how the settlement has progressed without him. He has been hearing tales of Arthur’s rule and all was better.

All was not any better with Centurion Marius. He had his case of coins from the Legatos, and it was sufficient to pay the men and more but there was a note for him.

“Centurion Giles, times are hard upon us at Britannica with the conflicts in the Continent. I have garnered here the coins for you but it may not be regular. I will suggest that you earned your own from the locals. Legatos, Legion Victrix VI.”

The Centurion looked to the Bursar. The other may have read the message without the approval of the Centurion. He had the looks of a child who had done wrong but won’t admit to it.

“Pay the men half and keep the rest. We may need to find more.” The Centurion told the Bursar. He then grabbed his helmet and decided to ride out. He was headed to the Villa of one named Antonio Marcellus. The Bursar watched the Centurion leave and then sent for his aide.

“Tell Lord Bors, that the Centurion is on the way to see the Roman family. Marcellus.”

Back at Camelot, Guinevere was surprised to see Arthur at her chamber. He was dressed in armor and carried Excalibur.

“Ah, my love. I was looking for you. I am in need to travel on my land with my knights. It has been a year since I was seen with them.” Arthur told her. “Will you be alright here?”

“I will be fine, my Lord. Do take care on your journey.” Guinevere replied. She was glad that he was leaving her then. She had felt tired with hi amorous advances although it was done in the chambers, her desire had waved with her concern on Lancelot. Initially, she had thoughts that if she was with his child, she may deter him off but that wish of a child was not be felt. She may be barren as some mid wives had whispered. She had wished it otherwise and there were moments that she felt sad.

Guinevere had conferred with Lady Igraine on this.

“Persevere at it, my dear. Love will come and the child will be there soon.”

“From what if I am barren.” Guinevere had replied in tears. “Arthur wants his heir.”

“I…. If he cannot, then there may be …. Another.” That was what prompted Guinevere to look for Lancelot. He may be her prayer for a child. And it was God’s will that Arthur will be away.

“Thank you,” Guinevere replied in her prayer. “Find him please.”

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...