Monday, February 15, 2021

Trojan War Chapter 37

 

37.

Nothing is ever planned.

“Ares, Troy is under attack. Your vision of war had materialized.” Aphrodite picked at the fruits on the platter served to her by the aides. She was reclined nude on the couch in the garden grazed with the scented plants, while her on-off lover, Ares was soaked in the scented water bath from neck to toes. Ares had removed his armor for the brief respite in the bath, displaying his fine physique marred by the scars of his battles. He had shaved his body of any hair and having the scalp on the top marked with the tattoos of the passage of rites,

“It’s a war foreseen but we are restraint by the command of Zeus not to partake,” Ares replied casually.

“And when have my son succumbed to his father’s whims?” It was Hera who appeared there. Aphrodite had reached for the robe to cover her body.

“Spare me your modesty, sister. I have seen it once too often.” Hera had approached Ares. “You have aged.”

“Why are you here, mother?” Ares addressed his mother by her birthright. “This is my…”

“Zeus. Zeus owned all of it and I am Zeus lover. And your mother by birth.” Hera looked hard at Aphrodite. “I am here on behalf of the Trojans. They had approached me to help…. Perhaps the better term is to assist. Help felt like a distressing need.”

“And we shall,” Hera added on. She saw the arrival of Apollo.

“Ah… another prodigal son… of Zeus.” Hera sighed.

“I came here to ask for your … assistance.” Apollo stammered there. “Agamemnon has violated my city at Trojan Five. I want to …”

“Apollo, in war these are the consequences of it. We cannot draw all the rules and expecting them to be followed.” Ares replied curtly. “And I am not in the position to assist now.”

Ares indicated to his naked form.

“Apollo, surely you have a plan. Let us discuss it.” Hera approached the offspring of Zeus and Leda.

“Zeus must not know but I am enraged by the Archaeon.” Apollo spurted out his anger. “I will have them pay for their action.”

“And you will. Tell me of your plan, Apollo.” Hera pressed on. The Gods and Goddess came together to discuss the plan with the details discussed.

It had happened that plane when Odysseus fleet returned to the Archaeon ports, he was given the report. He met Achilles and Agamemnon. They have returned to refit and replenish their weapons.

“I lost three destroyers and seven frigates, and the Carthaginians destroyers withdrew without telling me.” Odysseus shared his losses with them at the Hall at King Menelaus palace. “And three hundred stealth fighters were lost or abandoned on the surface.”

“We are victorious nevertheless.” Agamemnon roared. “I have brought with me another to be my woman.”

A priestess was brought into the hall and Achilles gasped out in horror. The priestess was in the chain and her gown was in tatters. She was led in by two guards.

“Briseis, are you well? Have anyone harm you?” Achilles approached the priestess. He had known her for she was his lover when she visited Lycomedes before. She had stayed in the palace with the other ladies and was swooned by Achilles then. He had bid her farewell when she returned to Troy but he had not forgotten her.

“I am fine. I am your captive.” Briseis looked at Achilles. Her reference to the captive was that she was once to be his but the situation had prevailed and she left to become a priestess.

“Chryseis died.” Briseis told Achilles.

“I got to know of this…” Achilles sighed. Briseis raised her hands to slap over Achilles’ face. It was never been by a woman then. Briseis was immediately brought down to her knees by the blow to her spine.

“Stop!” Achilles was in anger and had evolved in the golden armor. He grabbed the guard who struck Briseis by the throat and tossed the other across the hall.

“Anyone who harms her will feel my wrath.” Achilles looked at the other guard. It was Agamemnon who intervened then.

“Who is she to you?”

“Agamemnon, you told me that you will protect Chryseis yet she died at your action.” Achilles faced the other. “Now…you…”

“Stand down, Achilles.” It was Odysseys who held out his right hand towards Achilles. “We can’t be fighting among ourselves now.”

The reassuring voice of Odysseus diverted the anger in Achilles and he reverted to his normal frame.

“I could not stop her then. She jumped the opening.” Agamemnon sighed. “I had prevented the others. I saved this one.”

“This one? Am I another item of yours, Ach…..Archaeon.” Briseis looked at Agamemnon. “I was in communication with Iphigenia. She had described her father well.”

“Leave my daughter out. She is ..”

“She is the leader of the Wind. We are looking to tell you that we are to be named ladies and not women.” Briseis snapped back. “She was not wrong.”

“Remove this woman from my sight,” Agamemnon called his guards but Achilles stood up to the other.

“Briseis is mine. She will …” Achilles was cut off by Briseis.

“I am not yours, Achilles. I am the priestess of Apollo. I will remain like that. Spare me your … pardon.”

“Agamemnon, I …” Achilles looked back at Briseis. “Take care of her. I will be leaving now.”

“Leaving? Where are you going?” Odysseus asked. “We have much to talk about the war.”

“It’s no more my war. I am leaving for my own …world. I will have no part in this war.” Achilles took his leave of the Hall.

“Odysseus, we will work it out ourselves. A warrior who cannot control his emotions over women is not a warrior I want.” Agamemnon looked to his other leader. “We…”

Another guard rushed in.

“Odysseus, we have a major issue. Our weapon systems are all non-functional. We are hit by a program on the system that hindered them inoperable.”

“I had seen it before. It was the works of the Olympian.” Agamemnon said. “The war is now with new entrants.”



 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...