Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume I Stories 25

 For the love of one Tree.

 

Author's Note:

I was sitting in the car waiting for my turn to move another inch in the cluster of cars on the same road. I was watching the tree and I said; you may have a lot to tell us more about life as I have seen you before when I was much younger. Then it struck me why the tree does have a tale to tell.

 

 


 

It was a hot day when I came to break the soil surface. I made it here as a seed, nurtured by the soil which enclaves me in its hold and let the warmth of the sun to permeate my shell so that I can grow. For days, I slowly mold myself into the little sprout that springs into the warm sunlight. Soon I will be big like my father and his father before that. But first I must grow to be the height of a man. Why? I will explain.

 

It's not easy to be small although you are not hunted upon like many other living creatures, you are too small to be noticed. Even the smallest creature can trample you or break your stem. I have seen many of my kind perish in this way though it's not the fault of the creature nor us, but these are the rules of life here. I am the blessed one to be growing off the normal trails of the creatures so the risk of being trampled is less. I strive hard to grow with the little sunlight I can get that the leaves can trap in the branches. I am still young so I need not the full strength of the sun's rays.

 

The days passed and I am still around and it was only the day before I was almost pushed aside by the slimy slithering creature who went past my stem. It took the daisies next to me and the decaying mushroom on the deadwood. But I will prevail even when the moisture from the skies come down with force. But those days came to pass, and I am now about two feet off the soil surface. Twice I have been pushed over but I managed to straighten up again. I can see some distance now and I have my branches out with a cluster of leaves.

 

The growth of my body grew with strength as the sunlight and the moisture in the ground feeds my roots and leaves. I am growing now to a height of five feet. I saw a creature came to the older tree near me. It took measurements and then it marked the barks on the trunk. It was two days to it when more creatures came and took the older tree down. I don’t know to be happy or to be sad, as the removal of the tree gave me ground to grow faster with the more exposed sunlight and open soil for my roots to spread. I watched as the men took the older tree down, removed its branches, and then cut its trunk. I can hear its cry for assistance and then the plea for mercy but who listens in this forest when we are mute and deaf.

 

Soon I grew and became a noted tree with a trunk that holds well to the soil. I had little friends coming to live at my base and also in my branches. There is the chirpy sounds of the birds and the flaps of the butterflies; there are the flying foxes and their enemies, the slithering ones that moved on my branches. I don't mind that as long they don’t feed on my branches their catch. The irritating ones are the monkeys who come to rest on me and pluck my leaves.

 

I did not know what time means in my life but I was always growing. Soon I became big and strong, with my branches leaping over others in the chase for more sunlight. It was also then, I remember the creature who took refuge at my trunk base, and then it hurts me as these creatures seem to play at my base. The metal pieces scrape my bark and create a long gash of cuts on my trunk. I had time to grow and recover from my wounds.

 

I grew higher and more and spread out my branches, and then I saw the bird flying creatures came with their fierce droppings. They dig up massive holes in the soil and removed many of my young ones and sometimes one of us. I prayed hard I will be saved and I was. For some time, there was nothing to worry about except for the normal creatures which come roaming.

 

It was on one of these days, that I noticed the number of creatures that ply the trails is reducing by the numbers. Soon it became more few and on some days, there was none. I rumbled to the other living creatures like me but they kept silent. But what irks me more was the young creatures that came to carved silly marks on my trunks. Don’t they know how painful when metal material scrape your bark But it was also then I could feel the air was not the same as before? They are a lot of contaminants in the content and my pores are suffering from it. I began to lose more leaves than I normally do. My barks begin to feel coarse and hard as a result of the contaminants. I looked out from the top and what was green on the horizon is now gray in the colors. More to it, I can see the metal materials looming over yonder, and it's creepy to see them higher than my height. They are hard and cold materials and now they come to loom over us. More to it, they remain so strong against the elements.

 

I slipped back into my forest and await my destiny soon to come. I gathered my thoughts and sort out the important ones to be remembered. I checked on the scars and markings of my development and retained the ones I know I may need to remember. It's sad to me as from a young sapling to what I am now; a two hundred feet high adult tree with a base of fifteen over feet, I am about to lose it all soon.

 

The moment came and more strange creatures came. They took more measurements and placed markers of their works on me. I know not what they scribbled but it brought many more living creatures daily. They stand before me and they watched me as I swing to the winds. They take flashes of me like the lightning but no thunder strikes my base trunk. Just like the first time I met these creatures years ago, they caused me pain at the base of the trunk before they go off.

 

Today they come but they caused me no pain at the base. It's the air they contaminate that poisoned my growth. I desired no more growth as I cannot bear to see above me and yonder. It's like I am an island in the vast ocean with the waves ever lapping at the beach. You will never know when the waves will cover me overall and I will not exist.

 

But before that, I want to lean down and tell these living creatures my memories so that they can remember me. But every time I see them looking at me, I felt I have been violated on my soul. They feel my trunk and roots for my growth yet their minds think of me as planks for their homes.

 

So tell me how can I share my memories with them when they looked to me as a commodity and not as a friend. If I do share my memories, it's only the selected ones I will do as to preserved myself with them. Such is the trust we had developed between us living creatures. The shadow of deceit betrays our trust in each other a long time ago and in which we never learned to believe in total trust of each other ever again.

 

The small living creature spoke my mind; ‘Dad, if trees can talk, do you think they can tell me more of our past?’

 

‘Trees are not like us. They can’t talk. They are grown for their use to us in our life.’

 

‘But Dad, I said it they can.... would they tell us?’

 

Somehow If I could talk like they do, I would but I will choose only the selected memories as I don't think I want to tell it all. In time they may discover more of it and then they may say; ‘if only we knew’.

 

( Not all the memories of the past are ever taught on by the living; it's only discovered long after the living has become the memories.. )

 

 

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...