Monday, February 22, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume I Stories 27

 Beauty and the Beast

Author's Note:

The contest calls for the end of the world and a Yeti. It baffles me then and the snow came and I was alive. So I wrote this tale. There was no real snow in my place, but the imaginative ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 



 

I can scent the smell again. It has been for some time I had tracked such a scent. It's not often they come to my lair here in the high mountains. We shied from them as they had from us for they fear our size and looks. Truly they are the ones that look like us but smaller in the frame cannot be trusted our lifetime. They had come before as I have said, and when we approached them, they burned our skin with the fire from their hands.  We meant no harm to them but to seek some companion. But their action speaks for their character. We hid since then, but we watched them. Good as they are in the movements but we are the inhabitants here. We know when the earth will move and where the winds blow strongest. But I am now alone, the others have perished in their years and some died in the last earth movement. I was lucky as I was in the cavern and I was not exposed to it. But when I came out, I find the whole troops missing. I searched and this is what I came to scent on. Did they kill my troops with their fire hands? I saw no signs of that in my search and yet I suspect they had a hand in it. I watched as they climbed and some of them also could not make it. They fell into the crevasses or off the walls. I could have saved some but I told myself not to. It's our pledge not to do so after they hunted us. Now of the seven in the troop of theirs, only one left. It moved ever slow and dragged the large package behind. It felled on the slope and its slipping down. I must help or it will fall off the cliff. I jumped off the ridge I was on.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  --

 

No, it can’t happen like this. Not when we are so close to the top. I just grabbed hold of something but what. All that is snow and nothing that can stop me from going forward. My ice pick has gone; my ropes dangled uselessly, and my life now needs is a miracle as I am sliding down. God, give me mercy for my task is not yours of doing but my own. But it's to be done to save all of us if there is any left. I cannot help but ask for your love for we all had sacrificed our lives to be here. I am the sole survivor and let me complete the task. No.... the cliff edge is near. God, show me your mercy....please. I am slowing down in my slide....wait it's stopping now. Did the crate caught onto a ledge or I am dreaming? Tell me, I am not as I cannot die as yet. But yes, I am not sliding. I looked up to the crate and I see a dark shadow before the sun on its back. It's gray like and yet white like furs. It's huge and it looks like a man but then again not like the ones I knew. Oh my God! It's a huge man clad in white fur and he is hauling me up. It's so effortless in his grasp and I may be saved from the long drop to my early death. Thank you, God. You gave me a miracle. I reached out with my right hand to be pulled up and the hand that touched me was ever warm and comforting. He hauled me up and pulled me along to a safer ridge. I looked at my savior and I saw his face.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  -

 

It howled out loud and caused the earth to move. It's silly of it to howl out here and I had to stop it. But I am late as the earth has moved. It's coming down and we have not much time. I saw the outcrop and I grabbed it to go there. It struggled but I managed to get it there. It pointed to the package and I swooped down to grab that too. But it caused me great pain in my left leg as the sharp stone cut into my skin. I can see the life essence seeping out and colored the snow. It's dark in contrast to the white surface. But our main worry is the earth, and I held it close to me with one hand and the other holding the previous package of it. The movement was mild compared to some which I had to cower in the darkness, but I am injured this time. But it will not stop howling so I had to close my hand over the sound. Maybe I closed too tight as it went limp and did not move.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  -------

 

I woke up later to find myself still in the snow next to the large beast. It's holding its left leg and moaning in pain. I saw the cause and I know how it got there. It was my crate it saved and caused the pain. I reached out to touch the shoulder of the beast, and it turned to stare at me. I wanted to scream again, but I held my voice down. It looked like an ape and yet more to the human facial. Could it be what I think it is? My God, after seventeen expeditions and now I am facing the mysterious Yeti of the myth. Maybe I am dead and God is playing tricks on me. But I see the blood on his left thigh and that is no dream but real blood. I have seen such injuries in my climbs and it must be treated. I reached for my scarf and I tapped its shoulder again. It looked at me, and I motioned to the wound. How do you tell an ape you want to help? It's not they can speak your language or understand your signs. But I had to try. I got up and walked to its leg. I reached for it but it cringed away. I slowly touched it again on the knee and moved my scarf over the wound. It did not stop me, nor cringed this time. I wrapped the scarf and tied a tourniquet over it with a small spike in my climbing gear. It stopped the bleeding but I don’t know if it will hold for long.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  ------

 

It did me some miracle to stopped the bleeding. But we can’t move yet. The earth is still moving ever slow inside and we need to wait for it to stop. I pulled the package up close inside next to it while grabbing it to lie next to the package. It did not resist this time, and I also slept next to it. The warmth of my body will keep the cold away from it. I am used to the cold but not it so it's best I protect it. It did not move as I wrapped my hands over its body and hummed some sound my mother used to do. It may have worked as it did not move at all. But it's unusual to hold something warm like it as if I am holding my mate once again. She was mine and we roam the mountains together until she fell to the big stone. She was gone and I am all alone, like now. Those are good thoughts to have at such time.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  ---

 

I could not dare to move as its hands hugged me close to it. I have to admit it felt nice and warm with it but I am not so sure why it did it. Maybe the avalanche has not settled its movement and we need to rest for now. I could start a fire stove, but all of that is deep some ravine now. I guess beggars can’t be choosy at such time. It's humming some sounds to my head. Is it their way of communicating or it's their snoring when it sleeps. Oops, that is not good. I know what that can be, and I am not keen on any of it now or anytime. Sleep big boy, as you ain’t my type. I will just move a teeny bit so I will give you some private space if you need it. But move an inch and I will bring this whole mountain on both of us. That I can promise you now.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  -----

 

The sun signs deep into my eyes when I woke next. I know it's time to move. I slowly got up and tried to stand on my injured leg. It's painful but it's no bleeding so much now. Its magic worked on the wound. I slowly reached for it and tapped the body. It swung to face with a look I have seen many times when I wake my mate. It's disliked to awaken I guess. Who wouldn’t in such cold weather? But we need to find the cavern to properly rest. It got up and looked to the mountain top. I looked at it and find it very interesting. It’s about my height at the middle chest and half my frame. I could have crushed it if I had rolled over it. But it's got a scent I am familiar with; the scent of my mate. Maybe it's a smaller version of my mate. But its colors are too dark for me compared to mine. Ovi, I told myself; it is one of them, and stopped thinking about your mate. I grabbed hold of the package and pulled it to go back to the cavern. But it stopped me; it keeps on pointing to the top of the mountain. But why?

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  ----------

 

I can see the peak of the mountain top. I need to get there, and my task is over. I stopped it from going to where it’s moving to. I point at the top and I wanted to shout into its ears but I am worried I will bring another avalanche. But it soon understood and it moved there. Thank God, some beasts are easy to manage some of the times. And this is one of those times. It carried my crate like a boy carrying a small ball and walked to the peak. I followed it at the rear as the frame of it can shelter me from the morning sun which is directly in front of us. But then I also admired the beast as it moved up the slope. Nice butt but who is thinking of butt now that the Earth needs my help. We are into the last days and millions depend on my success. I have to reach the peak or we are all doomed. Forever.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  ----------

 

I made it to the top and I laid the package down on the ground. It went to opened it up and took out a long shiny item. It set it on the ground and moved its fingers over it like how my mates do on my back sometimes. I wanted to ask but I can see it's very concentrated on the workings. I stood there and see the horizon. It's beautiful to see the sights of the mountain peaks at this height. You are so close to the clouds and yet you cannot reach them. The sun shines ever brightly here and I feel nourished by its light. So different from my cavern where it's all dark every time. I heard it yelp and I looked down at it. Its long shiny item is now a wide-open item pointing to the sun.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  -------------

 

I have done it, and now it's up to the Head of Research to complete the tasks. I had already uploaded the codes and they should be transmitting now. And now we prayed for miracles to happen. Miracles that may just save the world. I don’t believe in miracles but on seeing the Yeti, I think they do exist. I can hear the unit coming to life now, and its solar disc is opened. It's building up its power and it will consolidate with the seven other units to shoot the laser burst into the atmosphere which will revitalize the ozone layer again. I don’t know why and how, but I was holding its hand in mine; with great anticipation. I prayed then for another miracle from God. Please make it happened.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  ----------

 

I saw the burst of light and then the sun went dimmer and dimmer until its light burned not my furs but comfort it in warmth. But nothing of the warmth I felt could match that of the hand that held mine. It's like when I first held my lost child’s hand at the moment of its birth. It's a feeling of achievement to bring life to this place. My fingers reached out ever gently to hold the palm of it as we both see the new sunlight coming in. Somehow in me, I felt I have done something right but I am not sure what. It looked at me and I think I know what it wants.

 

-----------------------------------  -----------------------------------  ------------------

 

I missed my Yeti as I laid here in the hospital bed. It's been two weeks now since he brought me down to the lower ranges and left me at the road where travelers pass daily. I know it's him as much as I know I am a woman. But my Yeti still roams up there and I yearn to go up for my eighteenth time. But the doctors said I need to rest for another week. I kind of like it here too. The attending doctor is cute too and he has got nice butts too.

 

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...