Friday, February 26, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume I Stories 30

 

Birds and the Bees

 

Author's Note:

My quip on the above subject.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

We heard them all, probably seen them all, do it but how do we tell the kids of ours, the works behind the Birds and the Bees...

 


I traced this subject matter on the net ( as its loads of data are immense. ) and tried to find its source.

 

Nobody knew, but some did concur it could have been from some writings dated back to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem Work without Hope, 1825, ("http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-birds-and-the-bees.html") but it's not conclusive.

 

When I was wearing non-disposable diapers then ( they needed to be washed daily, so we had a dozen on the clothesline ), I overhead MUM telling someone I was picked up in the dustbin, left by the dustman. Much later in life, I heard from friends, they came via the stork; send by package mail, and even picked at the shop. But no one told us of the birds and the bees, although we had them in our small garden outside the house.

 

My school books did have a chapter on it when we were in the early teens, and the teacher ( I was in an all boy’s school and the teacher was a young lady. ) assigned to my class told us that there are the names of the parts and this subject does not appear in our exam. “Case Closed”. We would have protested, as the next classroom had their teacher which is a male, explaining in details to them ( we knew then as we had lessons passed onto us during the breaks. ) I am sure a lot of us was curious then, and sure took more than “a few glances” to see how things would have worked.

 

Much later in my married life, my wife told me her “daunting” experience; they all sat through a birth session shown on the video, and most of them turned green. Maybe the HULK was not such a good show after all. Good intentions mislaid objective, I guess.

 

So where did we picked up our knowledge of the birds and the bees? Surely not from the birds and bees for sure. We picked them up as we explore our minds on the available materials and sights. Nevertheless, we all grew up with some knowledge, not thought more nor a thoughtless, than anyone then and now. Of course, for the literary inclined, DH Lawrence Lady Chatterley’s Lover helped, but Sigmund Freud was confusing.

 

So when it comes to me to explain the Birds and the Bees.... to my kids, their response was before I drop my first sweat on the matter was “ we know, DAD”.

 

So I am blessed with the speed how children know so much nowadays.... but I asked back, “ Kids, it's got nothing to do with Birds and the Bees....” and their reply was “assuring”; “ We know, DAD ”.

 

And it's 905 days 23 hrs 12 min 32 seconds and counting since the day I mentioned the topic, and I am still wondering if they know more about Birds and the Bees.... or they know what is the reason for the Birds and Bees...... or they don't know what I know about the Bird and the Bees'.

 

Thinking back, I am getting concerned if we are all on the same version of the Birds and the Bees. Maybe I need that drink.....

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...