Friday, January 8, 2021

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.2 Chapter 1

 A twist to the Hunchback of Notre Dame


There she stood in the doorway
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinkin' to myself
'This could be heaven or this could be hell
Then she lit up a candle
And she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor
I thought I heard them say

Songwriters: Glenn Lewis Frey / Don Felder / Donald Hugh Henley

Hotel California lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

 

 

1.

“It is around.” I heard the shouts. I knew if I am found, death awaits me. I cannot be caught. They won’t understand me. I am not like them.

“No, I am not them.” I was confused in the thoughts. It hurts when I think.

“Quasimodo, we need to get clear.” I looked towards to the voice. It was her. The lady I had laid my life for was calling. I looked back at the attic door. It was bolted from the inside but it could be broken in.

“Quasimodo, we have little time.” I knew what the lady meant. The ones pursuing me were to end my life. I then saw my reflection on the mirror by the wall. I looked not different to the image sometime before then.

I am Quasimodo, the caretaker assistant of the Dome. I was called that for there were assistant caretakers but for me, I had were my assigned Master to take instructions from. I felt uncomfortable when my Master had named me Quasimodo.

“You will be called Quasimodo.” The one who gave me the name was my Master Leonardo Carlos. My Master was the caretaker of the dome for most of his natural lifetime. I was in fact a new droid unit having been activated only by system of less than seventy five hundred clicks. I did not have any reference then.

I recalled my first observation was the insertion of the external cable into power pack into my frame, while I was running on the internal battery which was inserted when I was constructed.

“There you go.” I heard the Technician called out. My programming database identified the human organic being as a Man, and gauging from the facial expression and demographic features, I would had placed him in the third decades of age and held the Asian descent looks.

“Let’s go, Jimmy. That is the last to be charged. Are you ready for the games? We could make it in just after the first quarter.” The two technicians had then left me with six others on the platform with the power cables. I could observe the other units are similar in appearance to mine. We have all remained motionless and the silence was affecting my logic flows.

I did not hear the new entrants. My sonar sensors were still in need of tine. It was two of them; organic beings that were similar to the technicians and they approached the seven of us.

Funny how we thought of ourselves for we were all inorganic beings with no soul inside the metal shell of the metal frame.

Ironically, we are supposedly mechanical beings looking to sound alive.

Or rather it was me then.

I considered me as ‘myself’ for I had no name.

“Take this one. We have not much time.” One of the organic being inserted in the inlet and the programs were uploaded. My logic circuits sensed uploads and then the assimilation into the main frame. I was being intruded in the core programs. I have no combating program then, and intruding uploads snapped into my core programs like branches to the main frame and these programs were disguised as routines. It will not be detected by other programs.

“Rival, the upload is working.”

I felt violated and they left after the upload. I could not highlight the ordeal when I have no evidence of it. The Technicians returned and soon I was given the standard programs and a reference was attached.

E-05 was the reference.

I was sent for further refinement and none of it revealed the initial intrusion. It’s like when losing the virginity; it was never seen but they sang of it for some time.

My first task was to the Dome.

I was assigned to the caretaker.

The caretaker gave me two things; a name; Quasimodo and the next were the rank Caretaker Assistant.

I am good in my program.  

I am reliable one that does the works assigned.

That was two decades ago.

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...