Friday, January 8, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume I Stories 5

 

Father and Daughter Talk.

 

Author's Note:

The contest asked for an intimate discussion between the family members. So I thought of this as it's not spoken in most families' discussions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 


Darling, daddy’s here now. We can talk about it if you want. Or we can just sit here. 

Hi, Dad. I am sorry.....

There is nothing to be sorry about. Whatever it's, we love you. Mum and I will never give up on our kids. We always tell you that when you were growing up. Well, you have grown but you are still daddy’s girl. So sit by me, we can see the coaches as they come in.

 Dad, I am already sixteen and I still love you.

 I know, darling. But to me and your mum, you are always five. Remember when you paid for your toy. You took out the money and you counted the coins...

 Can we drop that? Do you tell that every year since it happened? I am old enough now.....

But not old enough to leave your family for your own. Why did you leave? We all love you. Mum, me and your brother...

 

Dad, I am pregnant. I am carrying Steven’s child. We did not know till last week. ...

 Hold on there, darling..... come here. Let me hold you. Tell me everything from the start. I am your Dad.

 If I could just turn back the clock, I would do it but I can’t. We were just careless and stupid to try it. It was all everyone’s fault. And ours.  I don’t...

 You not at fault here. You are also not alone. We are here. Mum is in the shops waiting for you too. We knew from Steven’s parents. We can work it out.  We just need to talk first.....

 Steven told his parents? The bastard told his parents....he was to meet me here.

 Stop the profanities and cursing. Steven did right. Both of you are not ready for new responsibilities. And we will sit down and talked about it. You did not wrong; you only did a silly mistake that you did not consider beforehand.  Can we talk without the cursing? I have enough of that from your Uncle Ben’s.

 

Yup, Uncle Ben’s is where I learned the best words. I am so sorry, Dad.

 Enough of apologies. Now it's time to reconcile our differences. Yours with what you have done and we with what we can do to help. But we can’t do it here at the bus station. Those coaches are making me feel drowsy or they are killing me with their fumes. But if you want we can still talk here.

 I don’t know, Dad. I can’t go home with this. What about our neighbors and friends, relatives, and above all Aunty Mathilda?

 Does it matter to you? We are your immediate family and no one in the immediate family forego another for silly mistakes or even major mistakes. That is what makes us the family. Steven’s parents cared about you which is why they told us. They felt responsible for you too. It's also Steven’s responsibility. It's also mine as your father and grandfather to the child in you. This is not a game in which you can walk out in the end and start a new one later. This is real life and we need to work this one out. I like Steven as he is a good boy; clumsy but still within manageable parameters. The fact he speaks up tells me he is responsible and caring. He did not come here to meet you as he felt that both of you needed support in the coming times. And the family can offer that. He did not chicken out on his responsibility. He stood up to it. You should too.

 Dad, I am so sorry...... It was not meant to be this way.

 The fault lies not in you but in all of us. Sometimes, we overreact or stumbled into our life. And the repercussions could be major or minor but the most important thing is that we faced it upfront. It may hurt to confront it but if we had support, we will come out well again. There are many more turning points ahead of you, and you do turn and run when you see it; you challenge it. You will get the needed support if you hold your hand. And if none others come forth, be assured mum and mine will be there. Be brave, my darling girl.

 Dad, did you and mum did the same as me and Steven?

 I don’t know, my dear as when I was sixteen; I wasn’t dating your mum. Her name then was ....nevermind her name. We lost touch over the years. But I will suggest you do not tell Mum or she will tell you more about her days. So can we go home now before your mum gets too worried? And carry your bag. You ought to know the load of the burden you going to carry soon. So it's a good start. But if you do get tired, just holler to me. I can still hear despite the noise here.

 Dad, grandma married when she was sixteen...

 Can we discuss that another day, please?

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...