Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Arthur II Book II Chapter 27

 

27.

 

“Who are you?” Lancelot heard the lady whimpered from the dark corner soon after he unlatched the door to go into the dark chamber.

“I am Lancelot, sent by Arthur to rescue you.” The knight introduced himself. “You are safe now.”

Lancelot reached out with his right hand towards the distressed lady. He could not make out the lady for she remained huddled there.

“It's fine now. Your captors are …. taken care of.” Lancelot assured the lady. “Did they harm you, my lady?”

Lancelot had heard no response and stepped forward.

“Come any closer and I will kill you.” The lady spoke of her intention. “I am …. With a dagger.”

Lancelot withdrew back and then crouched down to look at the unseen figure.

“I am Lancelot. Arthur sent me to find you.” Lancelot voiced out once more. “I meant you no harm.”

“Give me your sword.” The lady beckoned. Lancelot hesitated and then decided to hand over Arondight then in its scabbard. The lady’s hand reached out and took the scabbard. She drew the sword out and leveled it at Lancelot.

“Lady, the sword is …” Lancelot stepped aside to avoid the sword aimed at his chest. He was cut slightly on the left arm in his move.

“Argh….” Lancelot reacted to the cut and then he lunged at the lady. He grabbed her arms and wrestled the sword off her. They fell onto the flooring and Lancelot rolled over on the top of the struggling lady. He held her down with his arms and legs.

“Stop fighting me. I am here to help you.” Lancelot called out. His loud voice may have worn off her fear or was it the exhaustion from her ordeal, the lady laid back in surrender. Lancelot had his face near her’ and spoke calmly.

“My name is Lancelot. Can I have your name?”

“Hold me…... please.” The lady pleaded with her voice. Lancelot consented and held her into his arms. She laid her face into his right shoulder and cried. He felt the fear in the lady was released by her tears then. He did not move from her for some moments until she stopped her crying.

“Guinevere. That’s my name.”

“Guinevere, we met before.”The knight replied. It was then he felt the warmth of the lady and felt uncomfortable. He pushed himself up and picked up Arondight.

“I am sorry, Sir. I did not mean to…” Guinevere saw the wound on the knight’s arm.

“No harm was done. It’s just a cut and will heal.” Lancelot turned away to adjust this tunic. He felt embarrassed that he was aroused by the lady. She was not his but Arthur’s. He did wonder why he volunteered to rescue her. He had not owed any favors to Arthur and yet he volunteered without hesitation.

“Shall we leave here now?” Lancelot asked the lady. She reached out with her right hand towards Lancelot's left hand. She gripped it hard while he led her out. Soon, she was outside with the dusk light on them. She looked at her outfit and noticed her bodice strings were undone and half her bosom was exposed. She reached with her hands to cover herself before she looked at the knight. He had just turned away his stare on her.

“I am sorry….” Lancelot apologized.

“It must … It's okay.” Guinevere found her words to reply. She reckoned the bodice had loosened then in the chamber for it was warm there. She tightened the strings and looked to her gown. She saw the tears but she was still decent.

“We will stay here tonight. I will set the fireplace.” Lancelot told the lady. “I have food and drinks on the saddle.”

Guinevere insisted that they camped a distance away from the place of her capture. She then settled down to ease her hunger while the knight tended the fire with the collected twigs. It was then she studied the knight in detail. He was no taller than Arthur but his frame was slimmer. He was younger but older than her. He had removed the mail chain chest piece and strolled only in the tunic. He had bounded his wound with the herbs and covered with the thick leaf. She saw his legs in the bright lights of the fireplace and was embarrassed. It was like when younger she stood at the full-length mirror to admire herself in the nude. She laughed then at her silly thought.

“Did I do something funny, my lady?” The knight turned to her.

“No, Sir. You did not. It was just …... a passing thought of mine. A long time ago memory.”

“Well, my lady. If you were to excuse me, I have personal needs to do.” Lancelot stepped away and took to the nearby tree. There he raised the hem of his tunic and eased himself there. He felt the pressure on his body relaxed but he also aroused. He knew he does at times, and there were the wenches he could satiate within the settlement but out there, he was a lonely person.

“No, not alone. I am with a lady.” Lancelot reminded himself. He cannot be walking back to camp with a raging hard-on. He thought of the fights and the long rides but his mind kept on slipping back to the lady.

“Guinevere…” Lancelot mumbled to himself. He recalled the softness of her body under him. He did stare at her bosom. It was not that he had not seen one before but she was different. He had seen Morgause but never had he felt like with Guinevere.

“Guinevere…” Lancelot knew it was not right. She was Arthur’s lover. He can’t betray that trust.

“Help!” The call came from the lady. Lancelot rushed back and saw her fending herself with a twig against a hedgehog.

“It came from there.” Guinevere ran to the back of the knight. “Is it deadly?”

The creature was intimidated by the new arrival and scooted off. Lancelot assured the lady of her safety and offered to sit beside her while she rested. Soon, she was asleep and the knight kept vigilance on her. He could not resist looking at the lady then. She was different from the others. Even the younger and inexperienced ones that he had were so different from Guinevere.

“Guinevere!” Arthur called out from his sleep. Merlin who was nearby his bedding at the tent rushed over to hold the other down.

“Do not move, Arthur. You will open up your wounds.” The druid cautioned him.

“What happened? Did we win?” Arthur looked at the druid.

“Yes, we did. The Anglo Saxons were routed from Mount Badon. As we speak now, the remnants of the Anglo Saxons are scattered to the colder northlands.” Merlin replied. “You were an inspiration to the battle.”

“I …. I can’t remember much. I know…”

“You fought hard and well. You rode towards the enemies and chased them to the top. I was not all there in the battle but the men who were there said you must have vanquished hundreds of them. They ran to retreat on seeing you and Excalibur.”

“Excalibur? Where is my sword?” Arthur asked the sword.

“Here it is, Arthur. Excalibur will not leave your side.” Merlin handed the sword towards Arthur. The latter grabbed the sword and held it close to his chest.

“And how fared my lady Guinevere?” Arthur asked.

“I fear I bear no news. It may not…” Merlin was cut off.

“You are a druid. Can’t you see the future? Or the whereabouts of her?”

“I am a druid but seeing into the …. Whereabouts are vague to me.” Merlin sighed. “I hold no such skills. I could foresee destinies and …”

“Bah! Then you are no use to me.” Arthur dismissed the druid. Merlin left the tent and met Lamorak outside.

“Is he well?” Lamorak had asked.

“Arthur is feverish but he will recover,” Merlin replied.

“What about his delusion as Arthur? We are Legionnaires and not …. Knights.” Lamorak held onto his identity as the Optio. “He could be …”

“Bewitched? He is not. He is just tired.” Merlin defended Arthur. “Do not question his destiny, Lamorak. Arthur is to serve that.”

Merlin stepped away to look at the hilltop. The Anglo Saxons were defeated but they exact their vengeance to burn the hilltop of its structure and even the supply stores. It was a hard battle but they won the war.

“I hope it was worth the sacrifice,” Merlin muttered.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...