Friday, September 5, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 2 Part 1.25

Act Three Scene 1 Part 1

The event of the night did not go unnoticed; when words were whispered by the many who had heard of the commotion. The words went among the legionnaires and then the commoners, and back to the legionnaires; with more distortion on the contents. Montana was given his aid as requested by the Legatus, but he rage was still prevalent. He was hidden in the home of the local town folk, while others rushing by would peek but never to asked.

Meanwhile Cassio as busy with his preparation. After his departure from the tavern, he had knocked on the doors of the stores. He inquired on the things that they hold in their stores; lest it be wanted by a lady. He chanced on some clothes, and trinkets, but the folks there were not Romans in Rome. They lived their livelihood by the sea and wore what was given by the traders, with little need to have the extras on their body.

"My man needed nothing extra on my clothes for its without it, that he prefers me more." One lady quipped back. "Or lesser of the layers lest he pokes at the wrong layer."

"We smell like this day in and night out, but who cares how we smell, at least he knew that is all he would get for free if he needed that time. If he wants a flour caked flesh, then he might as well buried himself in the dough than bake in mine." The pastry maid added on.

"Alas, have any of you ever donned a gown that inspired your looks?" Cassio asked the butcher wife'.

"We had that once when he first took on me. I had donned on the apron, but I told him, watch where you swing that butcher knife, or I would be bleeding more than the sow you just fleshed out."

Cassio was to give out and went back to the tavern. He was to wait for the Legatus and do his own bidding. Then he saw the trumpet by the door. He remembered the music that was played in the tavern. He inquired more and was told that was the musician tool belonging to the tavern helper; he played during the weddings along with the clown. With that Cassio took to meet the clown who was the tavern owner himself. He rounded them up and reckon a small play would suffice to attract the lady's eyes.

"Please show me your skills, for which I had imparted some coins from my purse. You told me you could do more with the coins." Cassio asked and was hoping the coins would bring out the good music. It took only a short moment of time for Cassio to raised his hands in defeat.

"That is the most horrendous sounds that I have heard. You are no better paid or not. " Cassio told the two/ "Please stop or I would be forced to place my sword in your guts."

But the musician was still trumpeting away until the clown pulled the trumpet away.

"Do you want to be killed? The Centurion said to stop."

"But that was my better piece." The musician protested but he was without the trumpet.

"Here is your share." The clown gave the musician some coins. It was then the amused audiences laughed at them. Cassio shook his head; they may be fun for them, but the Pilus was not convinced.

"You are supposed to be artisan, but you are not. You are...." Cassio could not find the words to described them.

"Whatever we are, we did our works. Too bad you do not like it." The clown replied.

"Then do some useful with the coins I paid you." Cassio looked to the upper landing. "Tell me when the lady in waiting come down. Tell them that one named Cassio called on them."

Iago then walked down from the upper landing and saw the other.

"Cassio, I thought you had left the place." Iago looked to the Centurion. "Did you not sleep?"

"No, Iago. I did not. I could not. I was busy. I was ...." Cassio was not making much sense so Iago stopped him.

"Pray tell me slowly." Iago held his friend by the shoulder.

"I have the request to meet your love, as she is the lady in waiting for Desdemona." Cassio said slowly. "I apologies if I did not asked you for permission beforehand."

"None required. I would get her for you." Iago replied.

"You are most kind, Iago. Never a finer gentleman in Rome than you."

Iago double stepped up the stairs, and was soon in his room. He went into the room and saw his love still laid on the bedding. He pulled the cover off her which shook her to wake in shock. She saw who it was and looked away.

"Get dressed, Emilia. You are wanted downstairs. There is one in need of your service." Iago told her and then threw her the gown. Iago left her there and went down back himself. Soon she came down the stairs, all dressed up and looking like the love of the beloved centurion.

"Good morning, my lady." Cassio bowed when he saw the lady.

"Good day to you, Cassio. I have heard of your plight last night." Emilie looked towards Iago. "I am sure the Legatus had regretted his decision. He likes you much and was ill advised in his mind when he removed you."

"Ill advise or not, but he had done the task. I am in need of good words to restore his faith in me." Cassio replied. "She...No, I meant Desdemona..."

"Oh, of her. I heard them talk early this morning." Emilie lied to the other. "She had him listening on his mis-judgment. I heard him telling her that he valued you from the time you had served since he was a Centurion. He still loved you. You were once his closest brother."

Iago had stepped up between them but Cassio held out his hand to hold the other back.

"My lady, I need to see her. Please arrange her for me." Cassio looked to Emilia. "Some place where I can speak to her alone. I need that time and place."


"Yes, I know of the place and time. You would meet her there." Emilia smiled. "It would be arranged."

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...