Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Oz; a remake of the tale 2.9


9        Napoleon' Battle at Loo.

The boys carried my father and myself to safety while Hinkley and Uncle Henry took chase of Private Omby Army aka Napoleon. We took shelter in an abandoned farm house on the nearby plains named Loo. It name came from the founder of the plains who first built his farm house here. Due to the nature of the terrain, he had the 'loo' or toilet build some distance away, Since then, a traveler passes by here, they would asked what is that house. Its the 'loo' and so the name stuck on this plain.

The farm house was the last of its kind standing there with the flower beds all around it, and a white picket fence for the house borders. The farm house had three rooms; two bedroom and the kitchen cum living area. There was also the attic which can sleep one person. The loo is on the outside as usual.

Aunt Em had removed my suit and covered me with the soft quilt. The metal projectile had penetrated my left ribs but missed my heart. Scarecrow was applying some herbs on the wound to stopped the bleeding. My father was lucky as the spear only pierced his flesh and not any important organs. He would live for now.

The men and boys are all standing guard around the house.

"We have to remove the metal ball. Its lodged in deep and may move to her heart." I can hear Aunt Em talking to Uncle Henry. I wanted to speak but there was no voice in my throat.

"I can do it if we have the equipments. I done al lot of surgery in my time." Uncle Henry was looking forlorn at the surrounding in the house. It was then Puss spoke up.

"I know of a place nearby which have the tools. I would get it." Puss meowed out gleefully.

"That is assuming you can get passed those guards." Hicks was referring to the army besieging the house led by a notorious soldier named Private Omby Army. He did not come alone that day, but with his army hidden in the forest. When Uncle Henry gave chase, he led them into an ambush but then two older man managed to escape. They had then rejoined the group who had found this farm house.

"I counted a hundred and twenty of them out there with the nasty green whiskers." Hicks counted off the odds against them.

"They are sporting green whiskers, Hick." It was Puss who reminded the young man. That caused everyone to laugh including myself. But that laugh caused me to coughed out some blood. Aunt Em immediately tended to me and placed me back comfortably.

"The metal ball have to come out soon or we are burying her tomorrow." Aunt Em reminded Uncle Henry. Hicks volunteered to make a dash for it but they stopped him. It was then the new surprise came to the farm house.

A head popped out from under the farm house floorboard. It was a Nomes, and one known to Dorothy.

"Anyone seen Dorothy? My name is Gourn." The Nomes brushed at the earth on his forehead and dragged itself out of the hole. "Nice place? Can do with a basement."

Soon they had Gourn to take Puss out of the siege area through the tunnel while the rest hold back the army. Then it was time to organize the defenses. Hick took to the attic while Zeke and Hunk took the side walls. Uncle Henry cover the front and Droid took the rear. They took their shots with precision and made every shot count unlike Droid. He just stepped out the back door and leveled the rifle to released scattered shots before jumping back in.

"Darned! They almost got. The last shot took a nick off my left hips coating." Droid complained out loud. Scarecrow tended to her metal friend, while the rest continue their sniping. The Omby Army green whiskers army returned fire but the farm house wooden walls could take the barrage of metal balls.

A couple of soldiers in the rear tried to push their luck with a charge but they lose more than their whiskers; they also lost their heads in the charge. Droid screeched out his delight in stopping that charge.

"I could told them privates, nothing passes through me without me taking their heads off."

But Private Omby Army was no fool. He held back his soldiers and did the task of sniping too. Zeke was the first casualty with a right shoulder hit. Aunt Em replaced him and the way she handle that rifle, even the soldier's instructor would go back to their basics. Her first few shots took the snipers in the eye shot.

Then the surprise came when Puss arrived back.

"Oui, I brought the Nurse along." Puss pushed the feline cat ahead of him. "Meet Minique; nurse extra ordinaire and massager of the stiff limbs."

"Did you get the tools?" Uncle Henry asked. The cat jumped back into the tunnel and soon came back with the bags and crates of tools.

"The finest in the trade. And sanitized too."

Uncle Henry with the help of Minique proceeded to operate on Dorothy. It was a delicate operation which involved suturing the broken arteries and bones chips. Finally the main target was removed. Droid asked for the metal ball to be kept by him for souvenir.

"What ails you, Minique?" Puss grabbed hold of the fainting Persian descent feline as it wobbled on its limbs.

"I am a nurse in dentistry, and now you placed me in the major surgery. Oui, there was too much blood. I think mine had also dribbled off." The feline creature fell on to Puss.

"Never fear, my love. Your dribble should be my licking to your recovery." The Puss rubbed its whiskers onto the neck of the Persian feline.

"Some one get a curtain for those two, please. I am going to dribble my vomit out soon." Zeke was sitting near them holding his injured shoulder. The two cats knows their need for privacy and sneaked off into the tunnel.

Just as everyone was relief the worse may be over, Puss popped his head up.

"So soon?" Zeke shouted in an alarm.

"Not that, my dear friend. But the tunnel; its blocked. I cannot find Gourn either. I heard soldier voices. I think they sealed it." Puss declared out predicament when Minique popped her head out too. "Its more than coitus interruptus but more like coitus no more."

Hunk pulled both of them of them out and dropped a grenade inside before shouting 'fire in the hole'. The explosion was heard by all of them and then total silence.

"I got an idea." Puss spoke up. " How many do you have of that?"

Puss was pointing the bombs on the waist belt of Hunk.

"Enough to blow more than twenty holes." Puss asked for ten of them and then he whispered to Droid.

"Yes, I can do that. Just tell me the trajectory and force required." Droid declared to Puss who went to work on the mathematics required. The Puss peeked over the opening ledge and calculate the distance. Then Puss gave the first bomb to Droid with some figures on a piece of paper.

Droid swung his arm and threw the grenade with the correct force. It landed within one tenth of the meter at the Army bunked down position. The bomb exploded and ten of the guards were thrown into mid air by the force. By the fifth bomb, the army was retreating.

Then Gourn popped out his head from the tunnel.

"Who's been dropping explosives on the ground? Did you know you blown up the loo? You rained mucks on those soldiers. "

"Where were you?" Zeke asked of Gourn.

"I was digging a supplementary tunnel to get us cleared away from the loo. Smelly ground there."


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...