Monday, September 23, 2013

Alice? Oh...Alice...

Why was there a secret door in the back of the closet? Why was it opened? And what could be possibly down the stairs? Those were my thoughts. I called up on my courage and stepped down the stairs. Once I had reached the fifth step on the stairs, the door behind me closed. I was engulfed by darkness. I would had screamed but I am a boy. Boys don't scream. They holler.

"Help!" I called out. "Help!"

It was then at the distance ahead of me was a light. I took my foot forward, and ended up tumbling down the stairs; or was it not a stairs anymore. I landed on my head with half my body outside of the doorway. It was a dry acrid land, with sparse low growth, and a very hot sun over my eyes. I crawled out and the doorway disappeared into nothing. I found myself standing in the middle of nowhere with nothing on me except the pj's I wore to bed earlier.

I stood there and thought to myself.

I am dreaming. This is all a dream. There was no door and I was in bed. I smiled to myself.

"Excuse me, I am late." I heard the squeaky voice and there was this figure of a white rabbit dressed in tweeds hopping on his legs towards me. When he past me, he shouted out.

"Excuse me. The tea party there." The white rabbit pointed to over the small hill before hoping away. He then shouted back after he passed me.

"You ain't wearing a dress, Alice." The rabbit hopped off. I looked at myself; of course I was not wearing one. I am a boy. Boys wear PJ's and jeans. I ignored the rabbit and walked to the so called tea party. There it was over the hill by the solitary tree. It was a long table and there were some people seated there. I approached them and was stopped by a green whiskers figure dressed like a soldier.

"Aye, girl. Who do you think you are? No one uninvited allowed." The whisker man told me. But the voice from the table called me.

"Its okay, Greenie. He is one of us." It was the man with the long tall hat. "Sit down, Alice."

Alice? Gee, these chappies are mad. I recognized him. He is the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland. There is the Dormouse, and the Queen of Hearts with her two knaves of Hearts behind her. But wait, there was some mistake on the characters. I saw Jimmy Cricket with his umbrella, Kalidah the Tiger, Cheshire Cat but it ain't smiling and there was Jasmine with Aladdin.

"Oh, my gosh!" I exclaimed out. I was dreaming of the characters I been reading in the books. This was unreal.

"Shut up, Alice. Your turn would come." It was the Queen. "We need to figure out how to get back?"

"Back? Back where?" I asked. It was then the Mad Hatter grabbed hold of my head and pushed me into the teapot.

"Be silent. We are trying to think."

I pulled myself and saw to the left, a solitary figure. He looked like Tumnus from the Chronicles of Narnia. I got up and walked towards him.

"Hello, Tumnus." I greeted him. He looked over to me on his hobbled goat limbs, and waved his upper limbs of man.

"Hello, Alice." The half man and creature replied. "You ought to join them. They outcast me when they knew it was my doing that caused all of this."

Alice? Why was everyone calling me Alice. My name was Peter and never would I like to called Alice. I asked him back.

"Why do you called me Alice? Do I looked like girl to you?" I laughed at myself. "Its the PJ's, isn't it?"

"Of course, you are Alice. You may had dressed up in that silly suit, but you are still Alice." Tunmus replied. He then looked hard at me. "You do lack the .... You know what but it would come. They all did."

Tunmus imitated with his hands holding an imaginary heavy load on the chest.

"Ah, those. I doubt I would have any. I am a boy." I laughed at Tunmus.

"A boy? By Aslan' whiskers, you are one mad girl." Tunmus laughed at me. He then turned to faced with his legs apart. "Boys have this."

I laughed at him but he took insult to my laugh.

"Well, it ain't the size that matters." Tunmus turned his back towards me. I decided to show him mine. I pulled the cords on my PJ's and called out to him.

"I got one too." Tunmus turned over, and started laughing.

"Well, you got one but it ain't no little twinkie." Tunmus laughed at me. I looked down and quickly pulled up my pants. Its not mine. It can't be. Oh, my goodness, I have become a girl.

"I need to peed." I called out.

"Well, go over there by the brush. We all did it there." I looked to the voice. It was Bella from beauty and the beast, but she was furry.

"Don't stare, Alice. You ain't got much as mine, but there are more you ain't got that I have." Bella stomped away with her heavier bosom carrying most of her weight. I then saw the clean shaven beastly looking figure who ran after her. He did looked rather emancipated from the bones structures.

I am dead.

I am truly dead.

I can't be a girl.

It must be a dream.

I closed my eyes and prayed it was a dream.

I felt the whack on my head.

I opened my eyes.

Its my baby sitter. Her name was Alice; she was nineteen and baby sit me when my parents are out in the evenings. I may had been fourteen but my parents think I needed caring.

"Peter Pander." Alice stood there next to my bed holding my copy of the girlie magazine. "If I find out you are reading these mags again, I would had you reported to your mother."

She whack me hard with the magazine before she walked out of my room. Darned! She looked beautiful with that jeans and tight shirt. She was my nightly fantasy but she had me whacked on my tenting pole.

"Alice, can I have my magazine back?" I doubt so. Well, at least I have my fantasies.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...