Thursday, September 5, 2013

Rebel then, Princess now


Seven handy quotes made the tale:

1. "When you hug your love make sure you do it as if it was your last hug, 'cause you never know how many hugs are left for you two"
2. "Sometimes the right person for you was there all along. You didn't see him/her, 'cause the wrong one was blocking the sight"
3. "My parents accused me of being a liar. I looked them in the face and said, "Tooth Fairy, Santa, Easter Bunny," and walked away like a boss!"
4. "Don't wait for a perfect moment. Take a moment and make it perfect."
5. "Don't be mad when someone else starts appreciating the person you took for granted. What you won't do, someone else will."
6. "You sometimes think that you want to disappear, but all you really want is to be found"
7. "It's hard to wait for something you know won't happen, but it's even harder to stop waiting, when you know it's everything you want."

 

"Mum, can we get real here?" I looked at them; exasperated and out of patience with these two older 'adults'. It was Mum who replied first.

"Don't be mad when someone else starts appreciating the person you took for granted. What you won't do, someone else will." She was referring to the jerk I just dumped on my date.

"Sometimes the right person for you was there all along. You didn't see him/her, 'cause the wrong one was blocking the sight" That was my Dad with his occasional glance up from the morning papers.

"Don't wait for a perfect moment. Take a moment and make it perfect." I looked at them. "You told me so yourself. I did. I dumped him. He was a jerk."

That came out well.

"But darling," I knew my Mum's tone very well. Its call justification time. "You sometimes think that you want to disappear, but all you really want is to be found"

I shook my head and dunked it into the cereal bowl. At least there were no weevils inside it.

"Shore up, girl. We know you liked him." That's my Dad cheering speech. It worked at five but not at fifteen.

"My parents accused me of being a liar." I looked them in the face and said, "Tooth Fairy, Santa, Easter Bunny, huh"

I grabbed my cereal bow and chose to walked away like a boss. The my Mum added in her softer tone.

"It's hard to wait for something you know won't happen, but it's even harder to stop waiting, when you know it's everything you want."

Oh, please. I had enough. I turned to walk but Mum stopped me.

"When you hug your love make sure you do it as if it was your last hug, 'cause you never know how many hugs are left for you two."

She was doing it. I went over and hugged her. Then I kissed my Dad on his ears.

"But I ain't going to see him anymore. That's final. Even though he is your favorite boy."

Teenager rebellion was on then. Ten years later, the jerk bought me a Ferrari for our engagement. Well, I did tell ya that I was a rebel then. Now I am mon petite, demure and elegant.... All in one.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...