Thursday, April 4, 2013

My first 24 hours in Melbourne

I stood there on the lobby of the luxurious apartment watching my mother board the car that would take her back to the Airport. We had just landed at dawn at Melbourne Airport and then shipped off here in the car. Her associate told her that the meeting have been postponed to Sydney, and it was scheduled for that afternoon. Then I had my usual pep talk from her; 'you wouldn't mind, darling if mummy do her work. I will be back late tonight'. I may be fifteen coming on sixteen but I have most of my holidays alone or without my parents; they are divorced hence I get to stay with Mum. It won't had mattered if I did stayed with my Dad as he was always on the move too. They moved so much that they forgot I even existed at times.

"Its okay, Mum. I would be fine in Melbourne by myself." She nodded and kissed me on my left cheek. That means she said thank you for understanding.

"I would arrange for someone to take care of you here. Be good and keep the portable charged up. I will tweet you soon when I get the chance." There she goes off like the mysterious ghost of Old Melbourne Goal. I laughed at my silly thoughts then. I been reading too many tales of Melbourne; the odd and mysterious ones that I am imagining things now. Well, with a set of busy parents, I do have to get my friends from unknown places, and ghostly ones are still acceptable.

I took my leave of the lobby and walked up to the unit which we were to occupy. I guess my holiday with her this time would be no different from the previous one; shipped in a car with a host that keep on telling you the sights which would be boring by itself. I needed adventure but where could I find one on my own. I am a stranger in the city and more to it, I am considered at the vulnerable age to seen alone.

Darned! I wished I was a boy then I could go biking on my own. Or even climb the mountains hanging by the ropes attached to the iron stakes pinned on the rock side. But Mum said no, darling. You stayed on like a good girl and go shopping. That's all we ever did and nothing else.

I heard the bell on the unit door rang. I walked towards it and had it opened. There stood a young boy of my height; okay, he was slightly shorter than me. He had on a baseball cap, oversize t-shirt and dragging jeans with trainers on his feet.

"Sally Yong?" He asked of my name. His breath smelt of minted chewing gums but he does looked cute. I nodded to his question.

"I am Brian Neely. My dad called me to take care of you while he goes to Sydney with your mum." Neely, I remembered that name. He was the guy who picked us up and then took my mum off back to the airport. "Can I come in?"

I guessed it was alright. He does not looked like a bad guy aka murderer or rapist. That last one shuddered me up. I held out my hand to him.

"Your ID please. I can't admit in strangers." He had taken a step and was taken aback by my request. He reached for his wallet and then paused at it.

"Your ID too. How would I know you are Sally Yong? You could be a fake." He had then withdraw his leg back. I looked hard at him and then replied.

"Forget the ID. Pass me a a chewing gum." I asked from him. That he was happy to comply and soon he was sitting in the living area with me telling me all about his life while we were changing channels on the TV set. There was not much on TV as the channels was all news and boring documentaries. He asked if I mind traveling on a bike. I told him, I don't ride one.

"Mum does not think I should." I explained to him.

"Its okay, I have a two rider tandem bike. You could sit in the back while I ride." I nodded to his suggestion but he pointed out to me that I need to get changed into something more appropriate. I guessed skirts ain't the best attire for riding. I changed into my most casual clothes; dragging jeans and over size t-shirts. I also put on my Outback hat bought through the e-bay.

"Cool!" That was what Brian replied when he saw me in that dressing. "I love that."

That last line made me blushed. I meant I have hardly heard anyone who hardly know me said love to me. I was thankful for my hat which hid my rosy cheeks from him. But Brian misses nothing.

"You may need some sunburn. Your cheeks are flaring up." That was my cue to rushed off to get my moisturizer on. How can a lady be without her makeup kit.

I was awed by the bike. It was 'cool' when he introduced the bike to me.

"The best way to see the city was to cycle. More to it, we would saved the environment from more contamination." I looked at Brian and smiled. "Okay, it was all from my school works. But it was a good opening liner to tell you what I cared about my city."

I slapped him on the back of his head on his corny statement. He laughed at my action while I blushed again. It was not like I knew him very long, and here I am going buddy with him. I sat back on the rear seat while he slowly pushed the bike onto the road. I was a lady and we are not bound to push the cart as the saying goes.

Soon we were off on the road, and he made a snide remark; "You could go on a diet. I am already feeling tired pushing you."

That earned him another a jab in the waist, and we both laughed when he almost lost his balance. The driver in the cars was not impressed with us hoarding the road. We took down Domain Road before turning left to Punt Road up to Alexandra Avenue. We rode into Royal Botanical Garden where Brian impressed me with his knowledge on the plants. I be honest I was not very keen on the greens,as I have seen more it at home, but I humored him. He showed me the Melbourne Cricket Ground; he started off with the shouts of “Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. Oi, oi, oi!” as we went passed it.

Then we came to sight I been reading about; the Yarra. From its source in the Yarra Ranges, it flows 242 km west through the Yarra Valley which opens out into plains as it winds its way through Greater Melbourne before emptying into Hobsons Bay in northernmost Port Phillip.

"Do you know the Yarra means the river in the native tongue?" Silly of me to tell him that but he just nodded his head as both of us looked at the skyline of Melbourne Central Business District.

"I saw yours in the movie. The one where the old guy rowed down the river with the burglar?" I smiled at Brian's trying to recalled the scene of my own city.

I was entranced by the rowers on the Yarra when Brian told me to get back on our adventure. I stopped him as there were important things to do the; one I was hungry and the second I needed the bathroom. He got my message and we rode to the nearby shops.

For a meal in Melbourne, the hamburger ranked somewhere missing off the chart. I sank my teeth into the best pies I had ever eaten. They are absolutely delicious. I had to admit I took two before I realized that Brian was giving the amused look.

"Well, you would gobble more than two 'roti' if you are in my city." Brian was still trying to piece together my meaning on how a piece of toasted bread can be so delicious.

Nevertheless with my needs settled down, he told me that we are going to downtown, but we would parked the bike for now, We are traveling by the tram to Flinder Street Station; one of the oldest train station in Melbourne. That was the green and cream livery shaded electric tram that I read all about. It was a fascinating ride as we went down the streets with the view of the people getting on with their everyday life. I can just imagined the days when these trams were pulled by the horses, but now we are over reliant on electricity.

We got off at station and guessed who I met there.

"Hi Dad." I greeted my father who was standing there holding a back pack. He was surprised to see me, and then glared at Brian. My dad can be over protective at times. I introduced Brian and then told him why I was with the boy. He was getting upset and insisted on calling my mum but I stopped him. I suggested we took a break and have a meal. We ended up in Bourke Street Mall trying to catch up on the missing days. Brian wanted to be excused but I held onto his arm to stayed. It did not missed my dad's attention so I had to let go.

Soon Brian and my dad was on good terms as they shared things which only males can appreciate like sports, while my eyes roved on the things you can buy there. We spent sometime there and eventually, Brian excused himself saying he had prior things to do. Then was the time I asked my dad the crucial question.

"Dad, when was the last time we met?" I looked at him with my adoring eyes that he always complimented looked like my mum. I did checked it over the mirror many times, but I think I looked more like Brooke Shields.

"Last year at Christmas, back in Penang." He looked away when he finished the reply. I remembered it too, and by the time we had supper, he and mum was at loggerheads over some petty issues. He left that evening without opening the presents. I was devastated by the fight that I went to bed forgetting all about the festival.

"I am sorry, darling. Your mum and myself are not meant for each other." He confessed to me. "We did loved each other, but it could had died some years back."

I knew those years when both of them got me and also the promotions to work harder and further from home. I was shipped between nannies and later servants to the point I did not know what their names are. My parents soon called it off and I ended up with my mum. He does visit me but it was rare. That the history of my last three years and now by coincidence of fate, we met during this holiday. His, mine and soon to be, my mum. She promised me this holiday.

"Dad, would there be a chance you would be back with Mum? I loved the two of you..." I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. He looked at me and smiled. That was his best smile, and that said for his feeling but his reply was different.

"No, darling, We have grown apart and I am happy being alone. I have a new job and do travel extensively....."

I stopped him and got up. I picked up my hat while his hand held onto my arm.

"Try to understand, darling. You are a big girl now. You should be able to understand."

I looked down to him. I wanted to speak my mind but I was not going to. I am on holiday and there was no plans to include him. So I would let it be as I planned. I pulled my arm away and walked out. He came rushing out to confront me.

"Let me take you back. You are new to this place, and more to it, you are young." He was trying to be my dad then but I have not lost my dad three years back. I pulled away and walked on. He caught up with me and told me to listen.

"I cannot be with your mum, as I am with someone else. Please understand that." Those words hurt me than him leaving me. Now he was with another. He would not be my dad anymore. He would be someone's else soon. I hated him then. I ran off back to the station while he stood there calling me. I did not stopped until I seek refuge in the ladies bathroom.

It was not for another hour before I stepped out. Guess, who I bumped into outside.

"I guess the food was not to your taste, huh?" I smiled at the young boy who stood there with his hands in his dragging jeans. "We could go for a ride in the train."

We did on the Belgrave Line, and then the blue line painted on the platform to Puffing Billy. This century-old steam train continues to run on its original mountain track in the magnificent Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne. We ended up at Menzies Creek, passing through an enchanted forest named Sherbrooke Forest. All that time in the train, I tried to forget about my dad while I immersed myself in the scenery. Brian was a true gentleman as he kept quiet most times while he played the perfect host with his casual remarks to showed me the sights.

It was evening when we arrived back at the city and collected our bike. We rode back in silence while I let mind drifted along the evening lights of the city skyline. Brian stopped me at the building where I was staying.

"Would you like to come up for a drink?" Geez, I sounded really corny with the line. We both burst out laughing and then he replied to me.

"I would suggest you stick to Harry Potter than those soap operas." Brian replied. "I am not at the age where I can drink anything other than coke. And more to it, I needed to be back for supper. My mum would be waiting for me. Yours maybe too?"

I smiled at his remarks. My mum does not wait for me for supper. I waited for her. I took my hat and turned to walk in when Brian called out.

"Hey, Sally. My friends called me Billy." I turned back and smiled at him.

"They called me Sal for Sally." We both smiled and then went our way. When I stepped into the lobby, I was met by my dad who had waited for me.

"I lost you and called your mum. She told me where you were staying and waited here. Are you okay?" He asked me. "Your mum is in the airport now. She was on an earlier flight to come back."

I nodded and invited him to the apartment. He sat there in the living area while I refreshed myself. When I came out, he had ordered some food and we sat down.

"I thought you would like some food. I took the liberty of ordering pizza and pies." He smiled at me.

"When is mum coming back?" I asked him.

"Soon, I guess." He was not sure but he took up the portable. He did no dial it but looked at it. "Soon darling."

It was then the apartment door opened and my mum walked in. She dropped her bags and approached me. I got up and she hugged me close.

"Darling, I was so afraid that I may had lost you." I held her tight and then asked her to sit down at the table. I looked at my dad who had stood up but now was wondering what to do next.

"Sit down, Dad." I told him. He looked at my mum who gave him the nod. All three of us sat there looking at at the food on the table. Neither of us spoke for a time. Maybe it was us saying grace for the food and love on this table. I then reached out and picked a piece of pizza. I handed it over to my dad.

"Mum does not like the pickle. Could you please remove it?" I told him as I looked to my mum. She did not move nor did she said anything. He did as I asked and then cut the piece into several small pieces. He knew mum likes it that way. He handed it to her on the plate.

It was like the clock had stopped then, when she reached to received the plate he had handed over. It was like before when I was a babe sitting there waiting for my turn to be served. She took the plate and placed it front of her. Then she took up a piece that was cut to passed to me.

"Would you like to share mine?" Those were the words I remembered spoken many times to me. I nodded and she placed it onto my plate. We all ate between the small talks mostly to me but never between them, and when it was time to cleared the dishes, I took up the offer of doing it.

"Darling, it not like you to volunteered for that?" My dad remarked back. He had not seen me much lately to noticed the change.

"She is a big girl now." It was the first statement my mum made that evening to my dad. It was like the first words they spoke when they first met. Okay, I had some wild imaginations.

"I noticed that too. She can run faster than me." My dad replied before they both laughed. I took the dishes to the kitchen to cleaned up while they remained seated there. While I was in there, I heard the sound of something breaking. I rushed out and saw them both standing by the table. There was some broken glass on the flooring, and my dad was holding my mum' hand. She was bleeding at the index finger.

"Get a towel, darling. Mum cut her finger on the broken glass." I rushed off to fetched the towel while he comforted her. It was not much but a good start to the coming marathon that would changed their life again.

That night, my dad slept in the living area of the apartment.

The next morning, I met Billy downstairs at the lobby; dressed for a long biking excursion. He had with him a blanket which I gave him my 'why do you need that' look.

"I am taking you to see the penguins at Phillip Island. They only come up in the evening, and it would be cold. I am prepared for that." I guessed he justified his action. I liked the idea of traveling far today while my parents are still resting in the apartment. They needed some time alone. And so do myself.

As we huddled by the beach with the blanket over our shoulders, I laid my head on Billy's shoulder. It was rather uncomfortable as he was shorter than me.

"Billy, do you know what is love about?" I asked him.

"I am not sure. I am just fourteen and love does not happened at this age." I could had sworn that I would had buried him there if there was no bystanders around including the penguins. But I would let him live then. Where else would I get a guide like him. He made my first 24 hours stay in Melbourne then a very memorable one.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...