Friday, July 20, 2012

CWE Book 1 Part I Chapter IV

IV
Lieutenant Damai
‘I fight for no one except for my Lord.’ My step towards the Outsider leader was stopped by an arrow which struck in the ground in front of me. I stopped to look at the rides, to see a row of bowmen eager to release more of it at me.
‘Lieutenant Damai is not my men, nor am I from Lord Camlash camp. I am a Praetorian, and my loyalty is to the Grand Lord.’ The Praetorian was quick to clear the air on whose authority he relies on, but he is not my commander.
‘Lord Camlash did pledge us to assist you in any way, if we can bring the peace to the war. But we draw the line to kill our our own.’ I can understand what the Praetorian is doing, but this was not discussed last night. He is making decisions which was not consulted before.
‘Well, the three of you will do as i need is leaders not children with swords. You will fight for me against others not of your men, and I will give you peace.’ The Praetorian agreed to the terms but not for one war. The leader of the Outsider agreed and said he wants us to help in his war against the ‘Yellow Beards’; pirates from the sea beyond our beaches.
I myself have not seen the ‘Yellow Beards’ before, but their exploits are known by the Frontier Army. They pillage and raid the settlements along the sea lines and are enemies of the both; us and the Outsiders. The Yellow Beards has raided some of the other Lords’ lands near the open sea, but Lord Camlash is not by any open sea. There are rumors that the Outsiders are actually our people but they choose to live outside the areas of the Lords, hence their names. They became wanderers of the open land and as said before they were like nomads or wild hunters.
Not till we hear of this Braven who leads them against us.
I looked at Signar and see him smiling at the thought of going to another battle. This man is crazy to die by the sword or axe, as long as its not in bed by some vile disease. I turned back to see the Praetorian agreed to the more new terms. He also asked for a messenger to be sent back to the Lord, on the terms they agreed.
Braven agreed to the messenger and we are to march immediately to his camp. He asked us to take up our arms and horses, which was led to us by some of the Outsiders.
‘Praetorian, when did you make yourself my commander?’ I asked my companion as we were riding further north. I had to hear him said it again.
‘The day your Lord told me to do as needed to get this peace going. You follow my command as if I am your Lord. And Damai, do not forget I am in charge now. And she will not be widow soon if you know your place in my command.’
I dislike him the day I was ordered to marry his ex-lover. Its rumored that she bore him his child, but the Hall was silent on it. So was Domo, who convinced me to do marry her for her safety. I did reluctantly, but the years of knowing her later, changed my affection. Now he comes back and I fear his presence may wreck my affection or her’s to mine. I had the woman in my security and care for over fourteen complete seasons now, and no one, not even the Lord mentioned her name anymore. In fact no one called her by her name anymore. She is only known as :Lieutenant Damai’s wife. But Lieutenant Damai’s wife bore him a set of twins.

Lord Camlash
The bastard Praetorian took his own path; so be it as long as I do not see him, and also Damai. But the peace is established and I can planned my original campaign again. The conference of the Lords is due and I intend to spring a surprise for them.
But I must received my awaited guest.
‘Lord Daken, how are you?’ I looked at the man who calls himself Lord Daken. He is indeed a dark  skinned man; I heard his mother was a slave from the far lands, which is why he has the different look. But he inherited his father build; a giant sized man he was. I hate them bigger man, they always think they can bully me to submission. Like today for an example.
‘Lord Camlash, you owed me some compensation. Your plan was foiled by yourself with troops to threaten me. You are not a crafty old man. Pay up or we will wage a war.’ If I would tell him, I am older than Lord Kimble, he might be surprised that my plans still stay in place.
‘Perhaps the Prime Leader Romus can explain better.’ This was the cue for an old ally to step forth. They are called ally as long as we do not wage war in the open. Prime Leader Romus walked up to Lord Daken and showed his respect.
‘I represent the Grand Lord. I come to tell you you not cheated nor denied your victory. In fact, we just delayed it. Lord Kimble is a smart person like you. If you ambushed him there, you may start the next war between the Lords. I have a better plan which Lord Camlash is aware of only recently. That's why he send the Praetorian to warn you.’ I loved the way the Prime Leader speaks. The meeting took more than an hour and we all agreed to the revised plan. Lord Daken asked for the personal audience of the Prime Leader Romus, and as host, I cannot refuse such request. I told them to continue while I lunched with my children.
I met Camy and her bodyguard in the Eating Hall. We sat down at our appointed place while waiting for Conal. He is always late to the table, and more so now with his wife. I motioned to Dina and spoke to her in whisper. Dina left the Eating Hall to carry out my order.
Soon Conal arrived with his young wife, and we settled down to some good meals. It would had been better if Conal’s wife named Kimi was not asking about the city and for permission to see the people. I looked at her distasteful request, and told her to get used to been married before she can think like a queen. If it was not for Conal’s intervention, I may have send the lady back to her quarters.
Soon it was Domo who came to tell me my guests has left the city and convey their goodbye through him. Its expected of these two to do that, so I will not let the event spoil my day. I choose to retire to my Personal Hall, where ten advisers are placed to plan my campaign.
And I got a conference to attend soon. But first, I need to collect my gift from Dina. She was asked to get it for me, and she did with exact instruction. I am beginning to like my young assassin.

Prime Leader Romus
One thing I dislike is to travel across the country, with the people clambering around every corner hoping to catch a view of the traveler. What is so fun to see a person on a horse, and having ridden for hours, I do not have an expression of fun on my face.
My meeting with Lord Daken was as expected. Its called flipping the coin, with both side showing head. He wants my personal assurance I would not undo the plan again. I told him his victory is a also mine. But I did not tell him all the details. Lord Daken is a careful man but he is too careful. Today he can win, tomorrow I will win.
I have now is another meeting with the Grand Lord to put into motion the plan. But I must put into action something before my meeting. I turned back to see the young man on the horse riding a few horse length behind. He is all dressed up in the expensive cloth and ornaments which is becoming a trend among these young Lord’s and their families.

Grand Lord
‘Who did it, Prime Leader Romus?’ My anger is on the man who was to guard my nephew. I know my nephew was at the wedding of Conal and he was coming back late. These young people are too reckless and they think as Lord’s relatives, they are safe everywhere.
‘On the route, he received a message to go there, and he insisted to be send there; so I did with some of my men to protect him. But I was not prepared for the treason act of the Lord, whose assassin they met. We know who is the Lord who paid them, but we kept silence awaiting your command.’
‘Young fool! They ruled by their desire than their mind. Prime Leader Romus, you know your vow. Keep it well and protect your Lord. And his family including the relatives.’
‘Yes, I hear you, Grand Lord. Its shall be done.My men are getting ready to do the needed.’

Prime Leader Romus
The column has marched with non-stop to the border of Lord Camlash. There we will join forces with the Lord’s Camlash First Army to move to the Green Plains. On the Green Plains is the army of Lord Kimble, already massed up facing Lord Daken. This may sound to be an unfair fight between the three Lords and the Grand Lord, but it was called by the Grand Lord for the murder of his protected member of his family.
The battle field was filled up that late morning, with my Praetorians on the left, while Lord Camlash took the right. In the middle is Lord Kimble’s marchmen and lancers. Across the field is the massed army of Lord Daken and his mercenaries. We outnumbered the Lord Daken’s army by two to one, as I brought only half my troops and so did Lord Camlash.
The call to fight was sounded when the sun reached its peak, and both my army and Lord Camlash’s marched out to far right and left encircle the army, while Lord Kimble’s lancer took the front charge to break the army formation of Lord Daken’s mercenaries. The clash of the lancers and mercenaries was a rout by the lancers, with the marchmen of Lord Kimble following up. Lord Daken’s army then engaged the oncoming army of Lord Kimble. Things looked desperate on the battlefield for Lord Daken as his army was pushed back. It was then I signaled my men to charged at the marchmen of Lord Kimble, while Camlash’s men aided Daken in his fight. The army belonging to Lord Kimble was caught in the middle with a pincer move by both of our armies, was seen to retreat in disarray, with some survivors put to the sword. Lord Kimble himself was killed by his own men who saw the battle results, hoping to get some reprieve in doing the act. I did not believe in a man who will kill his own master, so I had the soldier killed alongside his master.
The evening, the three of us sat down to discuss the aftermath of the battle. I told them, its the order of the Grand Lord, that the city of Lord Kimble be brought under the control of the Praetorian until we have established peace and order, plus a new successor be appointed. For their contribution in the battle, both Lord Camlash and Daken will be given half the treasure to be shared by themselves. The two Lords wanted to argue but kep their piece, as they did get some rewards after all. It was all in my plan to grab Lord Kimble’s city.
Everyone will know why we turned against the alliance with Kimble, and why the Grand Lord’s punishment of Lord Kimble, as the official report will say this. It was Lord Camlash who came to aid Lord Kimble in his battle against Lord Daken. But Lord Camlash was not aware that Lord Daken was instructed to avenge the Grand Lord’s nephew death by Lord Kimble. When Lord Camlash on advise by the Prime Leader, of the foul deed of Lord Kimble, he also choose to stay off the fight until the last minute to prevent Lord Kimble from escaping.
The one act abhor by the Lords’ was the open murder of innocent members of any family; although kidnapping and holding hostage is sanctioned. That will be story that will be circulated in the conference, and any rumors as always will surfaced without real evidence, can be ignored.

Lord Camlash
I dislike any Praetorian, as they always make us the bad ones and then grab the rewards for themselves. I had to explained to so many Lords under my influence that I was led into battle by Lord Kimble and taken for a fool by him. True, I dislike the Grand Lord too, but I had to abide by the act of the Lords’ to punish the errant ones. I plead innocence of not knowing the murder of the nephew until told by the Prime Leader. I ended up all my arguments with the line that times are difficult for us Lords’ now to know who to believe in now. I think they bought my lies and in good faith, I ‘released’ some of the hostages I had with me. After all, I don’t want them to die in my custody.
As for Lord Daken, his loss of part of his army can be replenished soon, but that will take time. And the mercenaries are wary now of this Lord who seems to ‘sacrifice’ them so freely. So he is in weaker position now than before. For myself, the marchmen was not much a fight, as they were not motivated anymore. I secured a number of them to be in my army and put out the rest to the sword. For those in my employ now, I send them to the borders where they will eventually faced the Outsiders. I asked to collect as much discarded amour and weapons for the coming army to be formed.
Soon, I send out my spies to spread the news of the defeat in the cities so that the news can travel back. It was a version of deceit and back stabs by Lord Daken and he may be the one who killed the nephew of the Grand Lord. I know such stories will travel far and fast.
The irritated part of was to explain to my son’s wife of the father’s death. She was adamant on going back to see her family which I said no. I told Conal to take care of her as he is her husband. But this is one woman with a mind of her own.

Mistress Kimi ( Conal’s wife )
I grieve for you, father. Just as I grieve for myself. You married me to a man whom I do not know. But he cares not for me, except his books and writings. Its now almost one full moon, and he has yet to sleep in my bed, or even step into my room. We do meet and talk the pleasantries especially with his father, but never will he speak to me in private. I written him love notes, but he replied none.
I would had taken my life but I can’t; not as  a Lord’s daughter. But I shall one day tell this husband of mine his duties and mine. And if need be, I will make him know his duty as the heir to the Lord’s seat. For I am to be the lady next to the Lord.
I hear of the deceit by Lord Daken to out the blame on you. I will see you avenged one day.

Grand Lord
‘Well done, Prime Leader. Leave me now as I have to attend to a grieving mother now. But she thanked you for her son’s death was not in vain. And I thank you, for now the Lords’ can have dreams of knowing that I can still deal with them.’
I saw the man and his guards leave. You are good, Romus; but you presume too much. My spies in your men tells me another version. So it seems that I may have to watched you more often. Prime Leader Romus, you earned your right by murder too. And it may be your right to die by it too. I know your secret well. I care not for the death of Lord Kimble; he is old and arrogant, but he did not die in my plans. He died on Lord Camlash’s, assisted by the Prime Leader. So my dear friend, Lord Daken, you must be on guard as you could be next. Soon there will be no more eleven Lords, but two; me and Camlash. And only one can stay as Grand Lord.

Praetorian Genus
We reached the stronghold of the Outsiders. Their camp is on the hill overlooking the Northern Sea. The   camp or settlement spans from her to the beaches. And from there it spread out on both ends to a far distance.
‘We lived in the cove,and its safe here, from the strong waves and wind. The hills at the back served as our observation point and also our defense against anyone attacking our rear.’ Braven was kind to explain to me. I wondered why he trusted me with such information, as we spoke many times on our ride here. It took us three days to reach this place, and all the way, we met group of his people who ensure the route is safe for us to travel. The Lieutenant and his companion was quiet too; hardly spoke a word since we left.
‘If you are wondering, the strength of my army is about eight thousand here and another twenty five if I need to call on. Yes, the Outsiders has grown in numbers and strength. I have united like about four hundred packs or tribes. Now they all fight for the same cause. Here alone in this cove, we are about two thousand strong, plus the women and children. We have nothing to hide from you, Praetorian.’ I looked at Braven and try to picture this man. But I got was his back to me and lots more question. He is different from what the spies told us.
‘You are brave to tell me your numbers. You seem so different from the reports which we had on you.’ My horse skirt around the small group of children who are curious to see me, and my companions. We are probably the only Army officers they seen so far.
‘Why not, when most of these people are yours; previous citizens of your city and now in their own cove. We are not different from you; except we need to hunt to get our food. Come into my home.’
Braven was indicating to a large wooden structure that resembled more like a giant hall for meetings. Its the height of ten man and the width of of fifteen, the sides are stacked logs with its roof inlaid with animal skins on top of it. His doorway is a heavy set of two doors guarded by two guards armed with spear and shield. As Braven stepped up to the doorway, it was opened from inside. A small figure came out and was swept off the feet by Braven.’My young one. He will be five this winter. He is called Bowen as he was born with his legs bowed. Now he can walked straight like a man.’ A lady clad in animal skins appeared and took care of the child.
‘Come in, Praetorian. Bring your army friends too. We can feast and talk on what we need to do.’ His home is as I described, a big hall, where a long table is laid in front. There are food and drinks laid out on the table for all of us. On the side of the hall are more chairs and benches, where many more of his people sits. I looked back at the hall to see it has been screened off with a wooden wall, with a small door to past by. I believe that will lead to the personal quarters and also the cooking area. This eating hall is probably longer than fifty man’s length. I looked back at the man who sits on the sides; they are a mixed of elder and young, but they are all armed with swords and daggers. Their eyes pry into mine as if looking for a reason why I should not be here. Braven indicate to me and my companions to sit at the long table and indulge ourselves.

Signar
Three days ago, I was in iron shackles and now I am sitting with the people I kill with my axe. When I heard of the journey here by the Praetorian, I wanted to laugh and had my last drink before I plunged the dagger into my own heart, but the trip here has made me think twice on that. I was watching these people and they remind me of mine. My people used to live in the forest edge and lived with the forest offerings. We built some homes and make a settlement of our own. When I was old enough, I left to join the army but never went back to my settlement. I even forgotten how to speak my own tongue, except maybe some words of disrespectful terms. I looked at the food and find myself with a big appetite. I had a tap on my shoulder which stopped me from eating the leg of mutton. I looked at the person who tap my shoulder. It was the lad I saved in the battle. He smiled at me to show his missing teeth, probably from my blow. I smiled back at him and indicated to him to sit next to me.
‘You found your kin, I believe. Maybe he may have you killed before they roast you alive.’ The Lieutenant was always joking about us being roasted alive. I looked at him sitting across me to see him gulping down the wine cup and reaching for another leg of chicken.
‘If its to be, at least let me die with full stomach, and drunk with wine. I hear the other side they served you only flowers and water.’ I laughed at my own joke and was not surprised to see the Lieutenant laughing too.
Its been days since I saw him do that. He was bundled in iron shackles the moment the new commander arrived. All through our stay in the blockade, we were treated well with respect by the soldiers and also food was never short in supply. But no one dares to defy the orders that came from the Lord. The new commander only spoke to us that night, and in between offering his apology, he asked that we be patience for the Lord’s anger to subside. If not for the arrival of the Praetorian, I think I would had killed the new commander if he comes again to speak to us. Just as the Praetorian mentioned to us of the journey, I prayed to the Gods my answer was given; death by battle. I know the Lieutenant would be relieved on that but he seems to worry more on his family at the city. Me; I have no family, only friends who does not last long; they either died in battle or leave me for more sane friends.
Soon after the feast, I was shown an empty corner to rest my body. I laid down on the lice infested animal skins, but I care not. It was better than the mud we had to sleep on the last few nights. I looked at the Lieutenant who still sits on the table and nursing his wine cup. He will have a long night I believe.

Lieutenant Damai
My thoughts are on my sons’ and my wife. I am a fool to served for such a Lord, like my father did for his Lord. We are both fool’s to be played on by these Lords. Why can’t I be like these Outsiders; free of tradition and laws. I might be happy here, but only if I can bring my family here. I looked at my traveling companion; one is asleep and the other is talking in private with the leader of the Outsiders. I asked myself who is this Praetorian who served the Grand Lord.
Is he true to the cause or is he his own master of the destiny. Now he tells me that I served him. These are the words he used on me with the threat from my own Lord’s command. I heard your words, Genus. You said it but I will never keep them. I am not like your previous lover; so easily convinced by you. I will be used and discarded. You are a bastard in my world and I will kill you one day and serve you to the dogs. But before I do that, I will see your true purpose and expose your lies. Just as you are telling lies now to Braven; you lied at everyone.
Maybe you also lied to yourself.
Suddenly I reached for my dagger when I felt something on my shoulders, but it was a spread of the animal skin. It was put on my shoulder by an old man who was concerned that I may feel cold. I thank the old man and watched him limp away; probably a wound from some battle or in a hunt. These people are amazing; they take me in as a friend when days ago I was killing them as enemy. I could had killed some of them now while they laid drunk but I may not be able get out alive from this hall. I dismissed my silly notion and took another gulp of my wine. I looked at the decorations on the wall. I saw many pennants of the army who has perished in their fight with the Outsiders. My tears weep for them as they could had been my friends in some of these column.
‘We kept them there to remember them as they were warriors in our eyes.’ It was the same old man who now stood next to me, with a new jug of wine. ‘We collected the ones which gave us a good fight, and we hail them as heroes.’
‘Did you partake in some of those battles? Did you kill any?’ I wanted to hear from the old man, what was my own confrontation of my own fears.
‘Yes,I did. In a battle, I fight like a soldier; without remorse and mercy. Its only after it, then I will pray for forgiveness. That is the life of a soldier. We all do it until we cannot bear the killing; then we become invalids that walk the hall now. We wait for our death or a final round of killing if need be. And hopefully we will die in the undertaking. For us, its a sad and long day when you wake up inside this hall everyday.’
To me, it going to be a long night in this hall as I can’t sleep with my enemy around me.

Praetorian Genus
I saw the old man talking to the Lieutenant, and how he looked at the cup of wine. I saw him looking at the walls. I did too when I walked in and I recognized one or two of those pennants. They belong to good men led by foolish leaders and stupid oaths. I been through the same feelings as I feel now when the fighting stops and your mind is free to think again. Some of my friends in both the Praetorian and army killed themselves over such thoughts. We called it ‘dead thoughts’ when all we asked for in the end is death by battle. Our death will come one day so we can appease those tormented souls which has become ghosts to taunt us now. That Lieutenant is living with his own tormented ghosts now, but from what Braven told me, the only way to exorcised those ghosts is to do battle with it. Perhaps he is true in those words, but if nothing is taken care of the ghosts, there may be more to come. I hoped he can come to terms with it soon, or I may lose a good officer.
I looked at the Outsiders now with most of them sleeping, I feel some form of envy for them.  In the last years, Braven has done good on these people and now they are united, their lives are getting better. They now lived in settlements like these with good protection and harmony. True they fight the army, but its because the army pursue them when seen. So they rally together to attack the army which is their retribution for many years of sufferings. Now that they command the respect of the army, they need to chained in the ‘Yellow Beards’. These seafaring warriors comes and raid their settlements every dry season, when the tides are calmer. The last season they did it again, and Braven managed to repel some of them, but not all the settlements was secured then.
This time, he wants to take the fight to the ‘Yellow Beards’; not only on the sea but also in their home continent. It can be done, but the works to do is more, and the time is short. The dry season is not due as yet, but if we are to challenge them, it has to be before the dry season starts. They may not be prepared to be raided by anyone.  


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...