Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Crusaders Part 36

Six years ago

Back in Dover, we said our goodbye to Peter and his army of faithfuls. I took the reins to ride with Darius, my care as ordered by the Church. But before I was to ride, Peter came forth to request I lent him my ears. "You carry a heavy burden, but I would tell you this; trust no man and not even one with the collar in this case. Deliver him to the real Archbishop direct and not by the so-called emissaries."

The road to London was busy but none hampered us in our journey. I rode to the Archbishop Church and asked to meet the Holiness himself. The valet who attended to me said His Holiness is away on some trip and would be back tomorrow. I may rest here or be accommodated in some tavern. I took the first offer and we were shown to our rooms. We given two rooms to rest and we waited. It was near midnight when I was awaken by the sounds of battle, that I donned my rapier and pistol before searching out the source of it. I came upon some guards of the Archbishop who was holding vigil on a room with their pikes and swords.

"What happened here?" I asked of the nearest guard who was also the one who led us to our rooms.

"Your friend holds a priest in there hostage. We are trying to rescue him before the creature devours him." Creatures? Priest? This is madness so I pushed aside the guards and approached the entry to the room. None challenged to stop me as I walked into the room. I find my young care now in the form of a Lycan and he is holding the priest hostage with the claws at the neck. On the flooring around the two are three more men in the cloak with signs of mauling on their bodies. But there are also weapons of deadly intent in the room which means the Lycan may had to protect himself.

"Put him down, Darius. I am sure we can work out this matter without more blood being spilled." The Lycan growled back at me and sink his claws ever more tighter on the priest arms. I can see the blood are flowing out from the arm of he priest where the claw had pierced the flesh. "Tell me, Priest. What did you do here?"

"He is a Demon and I am doing my duty to remove him. I know the Archbishop secured him safe passage to come here but he cannot be tolerated." The Priest glared at me to do the needed biddings but I I am bound by the order of the Archbishop.

"As you said, he was given safe passage and even the evil could be saved if we purged them away like what we do in the confession box. Why do you challenge his order and take it upon yourself to condemn three more lives to the act. Do you know your boundary, Priest?" I looked at the man who wears the cloak and yet does not followed the order of the House.

"Demons are demons. There are no reforms for them. They are to be slain as we are to be killed by them. That is the order I know." Unknown to all us, the priest somehow has another blade hidden in his flock. He took it out and stabbed the young Lycan in the ribs to the heart. The creature of what was once a man howled in pain, but he exact his vengeance with the pulling of his claws from the arms to slash at the priest' throat. The weak cut was not of instant death but nevertheless a fatal one. The priest fell free on the flooring and gasped for his breath on his cut throat.

"Have mercy on me. Kill me now..." The priest pleaded for an instant death but when I laid my eyes on him, I see a murderer of a child, even though its not of man looks but it was one before. I turned my back and stood there waiting for the priest to die while grasping for air.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...