Monday, January 30, 2012

Odyssues Part 4

1V
“Telemachus, I beg of you. Come down and we will talk of it.” I am holding my hand for my son, who like me is ever a handful. His mother in care and also was mine, stands next to me with tears in her eyes as she looked at the five year old kid hanging onto the roof edge. Telemachus climbed up there without the knowledge of Eurycleria, on some workmen’s ladder. Now he is tethering over the edge to a drop of twenty feet above my height. I prayed for Poseidon to bring in a draft of wind that will sailed Telemachus into my arms.
And it did, as I voiced it; the wind came with a force to gently lift my son and then lowered him down onto my arms.
“Thank you, Poseidon. Your name will remain in my heart forever.” I handed the child to his mother in care, and walked to my work place. Since my marriage to Penelope, I have forego my life as a warrior to be that of a statesman and on occasion the farmer. I have my own plot of land which bears good food for my family. My trusted plough is pulled by my ox named Power for his mighty strength. 
On my harvest, I will load my cart with the produce and both me and my donkey, Diode will pull it. Its my life and I beginning to enjoy it. I have many a calling to go to battle but I declined them all. I promised myself no more volunteer to seek my death except in the arms of my wife. I shall die as a old man in her arms.
But this was not so for long.
King Menelaus of Sparta has made call for the suitors of Helen, his wife who was abducted by Paris of Troy. I was one of her suitors not by choice but by arrangement by my father. This was before my marriage to Penelope, but Helen declined my offer to marry Menelaus instead as I was too young for her. Helen was raised by a Sparta King then named Tyndareus. She grew up in the courts of the Sparta King, and she was not without suitors when she was of age. She is a beautiful lady and many compared her to Aphrodite, the Goddess of Beauty. I was swooned by her beauty too but I am only a minor lord compared to some. Menelaus was no great King. But he had a brother who was one; Agamemnon who is also the King of all the Greeks, Agamemnon is also the son in law of Tyndareus, King Sparta.
So the power of Agamemnon was to influenced the marriage to his own brother Menelaus, who soon became the Spartan King. But the marriage was rocked not by themselves but the arrival of Paris of Troy. A guest who stayed too long and soon eloped the wife of his host. Menelaus took leave of his wife and his guest for a important funeral of a neighboring King, but he did not bargain for his wife to betray his love. It was not her fault then as Aphrodite had a hand in it. 
Paris of Troy is a cursed son of King Priam of Troy. Before his birth, his mother the Queen of Troy; Hecuba had a dream that she will give birth to a torch that will burned down Troy. She told her husband, King Priam who had the born child sentenced to death on his birth. The child was given to a shepherd who left him in the forest to die. But the child did not die as he was suckled by a female bear. The shepherd return to the spot where he placed the child and was surprised to see it alive and well. So the ignorant shepherd adopted him as his own son.  It was years later that he was found in the games which his natural sister Cassandra was to recognised him. In actual fact, it was the help of Aphrodite who assisted the sister to see him for her long lost brother. King Priam in consolation accepted back his son and kept the prophecy in silence. Some claimed he was made to forget what took place years ago by the Gods.
It was not Paris and Helen who initiated the war, but the Zeus himself with his folly of manipulating the events of the world. Zeus gave to Peleus, an Argonauts the gift for his heroic deeds a wife from the ranks of the goddess. She was Thetis whom Prometheus had prophesied that its her son who will overthrow Zeus. Zeus in avoiding the prophecy decided to marry the goddess to a mortal so that her children will be not in the same rank as the Gods, and may not overthrow him. But by overriding the event, he triggered another which affects the Gods and their worshiper to a war that was to be known as the Trojan War. It was the wedding that triggered it off, as Zeus in his hasty preparation forgot about the goddess of strife and disharmony; Eris. Eris was insulted that she was left out of the feast, so she threw in a gift in a form of the Golden Apple with the words inscribed ‘To the Most Beautiful’ on it. It was desired by three Goddess; Hera, Athena and Aphrodite. 
No Gods will decide on the Golden Apple, so it was left to a mortal do be the judge. That judge was none other than Paris of Troy. So the three Goddess did their best to entice the mortal to judged them worthy. Hera offered wealth and power, Athena the military prowess but Aphrodite offered only the most beautiful woman in the world. Paris being of young, choose the last thinking that he will get the Goddess of Beauty but she outwitted him by saying she meant a woman and not a Goddess. So she made him see Helen as one and he was seen by Helen as her true beau. 
It was this that Paris eloped with the wife of Menelaus, thus sparking the war we just mentioned. Menelaus on seeing his wife being taken by another, was enraged on the insult. He could had waged war on Troy alone but he chose to destroy the very city and its people for the insult. Menelaus seek out his brother, Agamemnon; King of all the Greeks. 
“Your choice for my wife has insulted me by eloping with a Trojan. So give me your support to redeem my pride and recovered my wife. She may be a harlot here, but she is still my Queen. Do I hear your support, brother?”
“You shall get not only mine but also of the allies of Greece.” So hailed the King of all the Greeks. There is an oath taken named as the ‘Oath of Tyndareus’ which established that all the suitors would defend and protect the man who was chosen as Helen's husband against any wrong done against him in regard to his marriage. Among the suitor was of course me from the island named Ithaca. That call came to me and I defy the oath as I favor no fight for any man but my own. Not so when I was told the war may take ten years to end and another ten more to come home. I will not be able to see my family and my son grow. I will be an old man when I am back. I cannot go for they need me.
Many warriors came to my doorway but I chose not to see them. They were ever persistent that I had to feigned madness so they will go away. I took my donkey to be harnessed with the Ox on the plough. One of obedient chained with one of utmost disobedience was a task that Heracles will find trouble to handle. I could not move my plough the direction I want or I may stumbled over it as one of the haulers decided to sit on the work. It may had brought laughter to the children who sees my silly folly on the field, but the warriors were not amused.
“Odysseus, test us with his wits. He tells of an army that has two types of warrior. Dis-unity caused woes for the warrior. I saluted his knowledge. He is truly a great warrior than us.” That make them ever more persistent to avail me on the coming battles. I could not bring myself to plea for being left out, as I am also a warrior myself. So I feigned another madness by pouring salt into my fields. Its ate into my crops and destroyed a year’s effort, and longe before I could grow on it. But the warriors sees it as a stratagem to poison the enemies’ crops. 
It was the act of Palamedes that made me reveal my true self. 
Palemedes set Telemachus on the path of the ploughings animals when I got them to march in sync, and I saw the hoofs of the Ox was to set on my only son. I rushed forth and hold the hoof with one hand while the other grabbed my son. It was mine to save my son, and an act which I told myself, I must fight to avoid them harming my family. That is the true motto of the warrior’ we fight to protect the weak. I carried my son, Telemachus back to his mother. Penelope took hold of our son and motioned to me to look at the heap on the bench. It contains my armor and bow with the quiver full of arrows. 
“Be here waiting for you even if it takes a lifetime. My promise to you.” Penelope’s eyes turned to tears and I wiped it with fingers. I laid the finger onto my lips and said; “None may take mine except my myself. I will carry your promise in my lips.”
I turned my back on my family and don the armor. Then I joined the awaiting band of warriors which includes Palamedes. I walked up to Palamedes and said, “Do that again, and I may forget that I am also Greek.” 
But he laughed at my remark and walked on ahead of me with his back towards me. I will not stab a man in his back nor in his sleep but only on the fighting fields when he can see me thrust him with my arrow or sword. I want him to see that he has died in the hands of Odysseus. 
Among in the band warriors who walked with me, there is a big man named Telamonian Ajax. He is the son of the old King of Salamis, and he had bested me twice in the games especially where physical strength counts. I lost not to a better man but a man of almost twice my size. Big Ajax was what they called him, and his brother was Little Ajax. But we were good friends and to the Greeks, they look to Big Ajax as their symbol of pride. When he marches, the ground trembled to the steps he takes. 
But King Menalaus asked us to seek one more man who is needed by his army; Achilles. He is not of the Oath but he is the man who is claimed needed to bring Troy to its knees. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...