Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Seven Sins of Man Part 8

8
I stopped the shower and got out of the bath area. Something is not right. I slipped quickly into my T-shirt and casual pants. I reached for the door knob and turned it. Once the lock is released, I opened the door and slowly stepped out. The corridor is still lighted up and there are no sounds from downstairs. That’s what concerns me. I looked at the clock on the far end of the wall in the corridor. Its 11:00pm and its past bedtime for some but who cares. I walked up the book shelf in the corridor and reached for the item I needed on top row on the shelf. I know its silly to have a book shelf here but that row holds a thick volume book that’s titled “Pride and Prejudice”. But inside its cover the pages are cut to the form of a .38 short barrel revolver. Its my version of prejudice and my name is Pride.
I made my way by the corridor to see the over the balcony to the lower level. I can see no one or any movements. I walked down ever slow by the stairs making sure I do not step on the third lower piece as it creaks loud. I am down now and I think I saw some shadows in the kitchen. I moved ever slower to the doorway that will take me into the kitchen area. I can smell the roast we had for dinner even though the last of it was in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch. There is the shadow again, and its large.
Shucks! Why can’t they be smaller like me and I can take them down without discharging my gun. Then I saw the shadow split apart. That’s it.
“Ahem. When you finished, please leave by the front door and make sure its locked after he leaves. I am going back to bed.” I shuffled my legs around and marched back to my room with the revolver hidden in waistband. I can hear him asking Evie if she seen the gun I was holding. I can recalled her reply very well; ‘no, its a toy gun, She used that to scared off my boyfriends.’ Yup, its a man made toy and it does fire bullets that kill.
My name is Pride and I am twenty seven now. Single and still mothering six adults in age but kids in my mind. Its been ten years now since we left the arms of Global Research, but we are ever on our guard for them to come for us. I am a librarian in the public library and I am prim and rosy during the day, but comes night, I am the vigilante for my care.
Graham is in working in the sports store as assistant manager, because he is super efficient as said by his boss. His productivity is almost seven fold the normal guy, and they all envied him. Not so much for his ‘sister’ Evie whom you just met downstairs. She works there too as the front desk and she brought in the enquiries by the dozen admirers for her sweet talks. Lois her sister helps out at nearby pharmacy with prescription handling. She is a darling to all the elderly patients who comes for their medications. Sally and Angst are still in college and between studies, they are in the library and can considered as nerds if not for their intelligence level to help the non-nerdy ones.  Gareth is doing apprenticeship in the workshop and he is keeping a small profile.
We are all living in this small city and trying to merged in with the local people, and I think we are getting there. But no one is getting too attached to anyone for long as we feared their life’s may be in danger because of us. Our weekends are spent in the nearby woods or hills doing what we can to work and fight together. In order to survive, we need to coordinate our gifts to the maximum efficient level. We cannot slack or we may be dead soon.
I walked into my room and there is Sally at her computer. She has wired three computers and they are now running queries for her on the financial sector and working out the possibilities of the next chips which we can invest in. Its something Evie program for her and she fine tuned the workings.
“Was it Evie?” I nodded to her comment. “Well, at least she does not sneak them upstairs anymore. I am not sharing my bed with Lois again. She talks in her sleep; algorithms and predictions.”
I ignored Sally and jumped into my bed. Its been a long ten years and I wondered how the ten coming ones will be like. I have been with anyone as no one takes notice of the librarian with the reading glasses. Its fake but it lends credence to my image added with the tied up bun on the hair and obnoxious yet eloquent english presentation. There was once a professor but I found out he is still married and too old for me. So its the long lonely path as I walked daily or maybe there is the new museum curator; he’s cute. Gee, I must be desperate to go for the museum stiff.
“Prude, come here. You have to read this.” If Sally calls, I am on as she is our intelligence officer on anything that matters to us. I read the article she is showing me. It saids;
Today, Global Research has signed a renewal on the contract with Department of Defence for the heavily wrapped project named as God’s Way. Its highly classified that even the Senate only gets a brief on it after its completed in a year’s time. From our insiders, all members of the Committee has been sworn to secrecy on this Project. Its the brain child of Ms.Kristen Price, the Defence Secretary.
But what concerns me is the seven guards standing behind the lady in pink. Its the Family2 and they all looked menacing in their new black suits.
“Prude, read this.” Sally is pointing at the remark made by the lady; ‘its time for us to recover Pride and return the assets of the country to its peak again.
“She is talking about you”. I looked back at Sally who is starting to feel concerned  as she remembered the scar on her scalp. She still wake up in the nights crying which is why she shared my room. I held her and soothe down her fears. When she was asleep, I laid down in my own bed and started getting concerned for all of us.  We been monitoring Ms.Kristen climb to the top and how her third marriage paved the path in gold for her. Mr.Benny Price is the man to top off in the investment market as he controls substantial part of it. He is the one called Mr.Right Investment. And now with this new announcement, its look like the next investment are on us. We are the next Portfolio wanted by them. I am placed as prime blue chip catch.
Its time to go back on the years and fight the same war again.
During the morning breakfast discussion, I brought up the issue to all of them. It was a sombre morning that day but they know the day they had dreaded is now here. So the question is how will they faced it will makes the difference. Everyone is given a list of tasks and we are at war now.
But they never follow any schedule.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...