Friday, January 27, 2012

Odysseus Part 3

111
My first Trojan I met was Aeanas, the son of Anchises and Venus. He is also cousin of King Priam of Troy. He came to see Ithaca on a diplomatic visit to recruit our help to remove the dis-obedient King of a small kingdom who just ascended the throne. The King is Herod of Saul, who just took over from his father’s demise. Herod is not keen to continue his father’s allegiance and declared the truce is off. King Priam could had handled this himself but he made a call for allies. So he sent over Aeanas. 
“Please be seated, Odysseus. This is Aeanas, the emissary from Troy. They seek our assistance to convince King Herod of Saul to returned to the allegiance. The Spartans’ has declined and we are asked by Troy now.” I looked at the man who is sitting there; a fairly broad chested of about my height which is short considering I am still growing up. But he may lack in height, he made up in strength of his body. I hear he can carry a grown man and run a hundred paces. But for today, I listened to the discussion and the bargaining of the spoils. It became more intense with some strong words being exchanged. Then my father told him we may not participate due to the unmet terms. That got Aeanas to be quite upset but he was diplomatic to seek his urgent return back to Troy. 
But I soon find in the garden with my sister. 
“Surely the tides in our water cannot be that low that your ship can’t sail as yet?” Aeanas got up from the bench which he was sharing with Ctimene. He bowed his head and apologies if he has intruded on my life. “No, you have not intruded into mine, but that of my sister. Somehow we prefer to our guest to let us know if they are meeting our ladies as that is the rules in our household.”
“Odysseus, how can you rude to my guest? I saw him on the grounds and I invited him here for a drink. Is that wrong to do so at my age?” I was surprised that Ctimene would defend a man she may had met for less than a day. Such worthless values my sister carries within her. Surely she knows that we disliked to be associated with the Trojans. This may be something she may not know of this man, who sneak into our garden which is a personal place for the chosen ones.
“Ctimene, your judgment is blinded by your thoughts. This man has just been rejected by Father to aid on his conquest of a minor King. And now he tries to do the same of you.” But my sister Ctimene whose view is ever stubborn as always. She pulled at Trojan’s hand to led him away but I stopped her. 
“He goes no where but to his ship. Be gone, Trojan or I will have you strung up like a hog to be thrown over the wall.” No man will stand up to the insult I have given, and he does as expected to draw on his sword at his waist. I was reaching for mine when the voice told us to stop. I turned to face my mother who was walking towards us in a hurry.
“Both of you hold your anger. I will not have the two of you fighting in my garden. You, Ctimene. Go to your chamber. Odysseus, you too. As for you, young man. The exit is yonder and be gone before I call on the guards.” The three of us left without a word. I know when Mother is upset, she can be unforgiving and her lashes are harder than my father’s. But the Trojan had to say his final farewell to me. 
“We will meet again, Odysseus and I hoped its on the opposite side.” He laughed as he walks away. I am left seething with anger and if not for my Mother, I would had killed him. 
“Odysseus, you have made a mortal enemy of the Trojan. Beware his words for he will be fight you. Its up to the Gods to decide who wins. I hear he is favored by the Gods. Beware, Odysseus.” I turned my back on her and consider what was said as lies. I am the favored son of Zeus as he has blessed our family with only one son per generation. Just like my Father was one, I am also one. And my son will also be one. I shall not argue with her as I have my destiny to fulfill.
But that was not my last meeting with Aeanas.
It was in my sixteenth year, I met him at the battlefield. He joined the mercenaries and we were allies with them to fight the southern dark skinned pirates named as Sea People who came to our lands. I was on my ship with my fellow oarsmen warriors when we rammed into their ship. Their ship design mimics ours but instead of the bow protruding out; their’s is upwards with the design of the fish on it. We ram their portside and we were then boarding it with our swords and shields. I was one of the first to come abroad and faced my enemy. He is a tall dark man with a long shield of animal hide and holds a spear with a long metal metal head like a short sword on the staff. He thrust his spear at me but I pushed it aside with a swipe of my sword. In offence, I moved in with my shield to body slammed against his. Then I swung my sword from the side towards him which he stepped back to avoid. But we are on a ship which space is narrow, so his footing was unsure and I took the opportunity to rush in and stabbed him with the sword. Once he is dead, I was slashing at another who was about to thrust his spear on the fallen man. But the man I save was Aeanas. He smiled at me when he recognised me despite my head gear which covers part of my face. 
“Odysseus. Bless you for saving my life. Zeus must had send you to do his boy’s works.” Aeanas taunts me even during a battle like this. He is either stupid or mad.
“Aye, he is not blind to do so as a boy needed my help.” I replied to him as I parry away a thrusting spear at my chest. I slashed the dark warrior on his hand while Aeanas thrust his sword at the man. 
“I see we are never to be friends, but rivals. So be it but I can assure you that none can overcome our names in the legend to come.” But soon we were separated by the fighting and I was back on my ship. The leader has called for us to retreat and move to another ship who is need of help. I looked back at the burning ship of the Sea People which I was on earlier but I find not Aeanas among the standing ones. Maybe he is dead or he has left on his own ship which also rammed the Sea People ship. 
But my action took my mind off him as we are now boarding another.
-------------------------- 0 -------------------------
“Father, we been victorious and we bear much gold for the vault. Surely you will be pleased with my efforts.” I laid the chest of gold on the floor of the Great Hall.
“And you have shamed me for I was not advised of your folly to join with the mercenaries. You have not acted like my son. You acted on your own whims. Be gone and take your gold. I have no desire of such loot of yours.” I was surprised at his outburst, as I did leave in a rush for the war, but I did tell Palemedes to tell him. Did he tell my father. Did he failed me there? 
“Yes, I told your father but he said I should be consulted first. He does not like to be told by a messenger. He blames you for risking your life on the war without asking his approval. Telling and seeking approval are two different acts. You did the first and not the second.” I let go of Palemedes tunic and sulked in the corner. I am a man but my father sees me as his young son who still needs his care. Why can’t he sees me for my manhood and allowed me to do the things I see fit. I desire no accolades from him but only his nod at my efforts. Yet that he denies me of it and shamed before his peers. How can I succeed him if I am not his worth or equal?
It was always Penelope who soothe me with her words. She asked me to seek the Gods for help if I feel I am served an injustice. I spent days at the altar with my voice calling out for the Gods to intervene. I shower on Ares my gifts of armor, and for Apollo my marksmanship but none came to my aid. Even Poseidon who we the Ithacan worship did not pay heed to my voice. I grew disappointed at this lack of support for my call. I pledged to them that I will not answer the call to arm when I am needed. I shall not do what every warrior do; volunteer to fight. 
Instead they sent me King Priam with sons’ Hector and Paris. I was asked by my father to sit next to him when he speaks to the Trojans’. The discussion was cordial as the Greeks has some unresolved conflicts with the Trojans and it remained as such. Nevertheless, I find myself looking at the two son’s whose age is close to mine. The sons’ are of my age and they looked magnificent in their armor. Hector is a fine lad like me but with a more assured personality and reason. He stands to be King next and he is displaying his composure well. As for Paris, a man of beauty and I can see the court ladies including Ctimene laying their bosom opened for him. I am also intrigues by the man’s charm as he is one, and if I have my preference otherwise, I will be tempted to kneel before him. But the discussion went no where so the Trojan’s withdraw for their own lands. I stayed back to hear my father lament on the time wasted on the discussion when the calls to arm would had done better. Its his rare show of emotions but Mother was fast to call on him to settle down. But before he did, he took out a piece of me for keeping quiet and watching the two young man. I was confused as I was also told not to speak unless asked. Now I am really raging with emotions and left for my chamber. 
Penelope soothe me down with her words and charm again. Maybe it was the surging hormones or the emotions of the day, I soon see the lady who was at my side for years as the one who is suited to be my wife. I begin to see her for a woman and she can be one good companion to me. She can also be the mother of my children and their children’s grandmother. I told her so and then I asked for her hand in marriage.
“My heart plea for this day when you will see me more than the lady who sits by you. I will accept your offer, but it must be done with the proper trials. Seek for your father’s consent and I will marry you.” She drives me a hard bargain as my father is the last person I seek now. I asked Penelope for some time to talk to my father as he still rages on me. 
“One week, my love. No more or we will be apart. If you do as I said, I am yours forever even you may not be seen before me in years. I am to be a warrior’s wife and I shall be prepared to await the warrior’s return.” I agreed and she took her leave for her own home.
Alas! I sit down and thought my action through. How can I speak to my father within the days she speaks. The last time I did such a silly action, he did not see me for a month. I must seek my Mother’s help as she is the only one who can bridge the rift between us. 
“Your decision to wed is a happy one for me, but why to Penelope? Surely they must be others. I can bring you a dozen ladies of equal ranks.” She mocks me with her words, for she knows my love for Penelope has always been there. I plea with her and she said she needed time to think. Truly one can never understand the women at all.
I did not see Penelope that week and it was the last day when I met Palamedes. He saw me when I was in the garden with my bow. He walked up to me and picked up my arrows. I turned towards him with bow taut with the arrow at his chest.
“Touch not another man’s arrow unless you want to be impaled by it.” But Palamedes laughed and points at the arrow aimed on towards chest.
“Surely, you do not want kill me with the cupid arrow of yours. Who will explain to your father how these cupid arrow end in me instead of Penelope?” I lowered my bow and removed the arrow. I walked up to him and grabbed hold of his tunic.
“That’s twice you did it. There may not be a third time as I will plunge my dagger before you can do it.” I looked at the man who dares to challenge his next King in line. 
“Mock me again, Palamedes and its head who will roll.” I released him and walked back to my bow. It was his words who stopped me. 
“Aye, but I am here to support you. I am here to tell your father of your plans with Penelope. Surely that will warrant your friendship again?” He mocks me again and I turned to him again. 
“How dare you desecrate the name of Penelope? She is no harlot that you spend your gold on. She is to be my wife.” I really wanted to kill this man then.
“I know. And I am here to tell you can. I have spoken to your father for you. He has been advised and now he needs to see you. By the Gods, you have until sundown to tell her. So do you wait or I die for your foolishness?” 
I did not believe my ears of what he just said. I dropped my bow and ran for the Great Hall.
“He is in this chamber with your mother, Odysseus.” I heard him and I changed my direction to my father’s chamber. Its true of what Palamedes has spoken. Father gave his consent.
-------------------------- 0 -------------------------
 “Penelope, will you marry me?” I am on my knees before my would future Queen. She took my hand and she said; “Better late than never.” True those words will always ring in my ear when I laid my eyes on her.
It was not the feast of food and wine that I enjoyed most but the company of my fellow warriors who came from afar to celebrate with me. And there were the Gods who came to patronize the feast.
I was sitting next to Athena, the Goddess of Military, who told me she cannot give me what Ares may had given, but she will gift me with the ability to command and motivate the men under me. Apollo hails me as his best student and said he will be at my side when needed again. It was Gaia, Earth Mother who gave me the gift of devotion to Penelope despite any enticement by other women. She herself felt she has been scorned once too many times by Zeus but she still stand by him. She wished it was the other way. I did not see Zeus as I was told he is in the lands as a mortal and it was Gaia who added; ‘sowing his seeds is more like it.”
For my marriage, King Laertes gave me a wonderful plot of land to plant my crops so I can feed the people who will be my subjects one day. Its a wonderful and humble gift for a reckless lad like me. I gave him my word to curb my rashness and avail myself to his kingdom if the need ever come. It was a promise that I did regret making as Penelope was to influence my life more than to be a husband than a warrior second.
More so when she was with our child. I would admit fatherhood is not something l learned from the Gods. It was to come from Penelope. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...