Sunday, January 22, 2012

Odysseus Part 2

11
King Laertes ascended the throne on my grandfather’s death. His funeral was a celebrated for over a month and many other Lords came from all the nearby lands. Even the King of Sparta came with his gifts for the new King. Even though it was a funeral but the gathering of so many people of kingship made the island like its in a festive mode. But the many funeral oration given by the other Kings made me proud to be his grandson. I wondered I would ever lived to be him, and be well known beyond my time. 
Unlike other funerals, once the rites are over, the festive mood steps in as the guests and friends all rejoiced to remember the departed hero. The fest itself took more than fourteen days with the ever flowing wine and the spread of food which are replenished through the day and night. As in every festive, the call for the games will be announced.  One of the fascinating event was the wrestling between the young boys or men. I was no exception as I also joined in. My opponent was a King’s son whose name I cared not of for his kingdom is smaller than mine. He is a bigger boy and has some scars to show for his prowess in the arena. As for me, this is my first real contest and not one with the slaves who feigned submissions so that I can win. 
“Are you going to fight or we are here to see a dance?” I looked up to the man who spoke of that. He is tall and older age and he wears a dagger on his waist outside of his tunic. He may looked familiar, yet I may know him but I cannot place his name. It was then my opponent came at me with his elbow on my back and he followed up by raining blows on my back. I had then half crouched in defence to his punches. It was by instinct of mine, that l lashed out my right leg to the back and caught my opponent on the ribs. He yelped in pain and I took the opportunity to turned my body and laid my fist on his left cheek. He flung back on the momentum of my fist but I was following up with a body slam onto his chest. It pushed him off the arena ring and the game was won by me. I turned back to see the boy who jeer at me but he was gone. Instead a towel was given to me by a young lady of my age. She asked me to dab at the blood on my nose and hold it there. 
“Thank you. My name is ....” She nodded her head.
“I know your name, Odysseus. Mine is Penelope. I came with my father to pay tribute to your grandfather. I got to go but hold this against your nose. It will soon stopped.” And she was gone. 
I walked the city looking for the boy who jeer at me. But he cannot be found. Or it was he found me instead. He called to me from the alley and I walked up to him. He is alone and he has the dagger in his hand. 
“I hear you are looking for me. Well, I am here. But before we fight, may I have your name? Mine is Menalaus of Mycenaean. We met at your Great Hall.” He flicked the dagger up and caught it with his fingers before it could fall.
“I am Odysseus of Ithaca. I demand a contest with you to redeem my pride. Will you accept?” I looked at him as he weighs the dagger in his hand. 
“Perhaps by dagger, I might. But not by bare fists. I disliked that. But you have no dagger, so we are uneven.” He is mocking me with his weapon and he knows if we fight with dagger, there could be death involved. But I fear not or I am not the son of Laertes. I proceeded to walked towards him. 
“Stop! Odysseus, your father seeks you now.” I looked back to see the Captain of the Guards with his platoon waiting for me. If he has come, then I am needed back at the Great Hall. I glanced back at the boy named Menelaus. 
“There will be a re-match and I will be with a dagger.” I walked back with the Captain while the other boy laughed at my retreat. I felt ashamed and really wanted to seek the dagger on the Captain’s belt. But the Captain saw my look and his right hand was clasped on the hilt of the dagger. 
“Young one, there will be a day you can displayed your skills but not today.” Yes, there will a day for that, but not today.
--------------------------------------- 0 ------------------------------------
I never missed my training hour with Apollo and since my father’s ascension, he could do nothing but sit inside with the other advisers in the Great Hall to consolidate his power and influence. He hardly sees me nor I of him. But I am in the garden with my bow from dawn to dusk alone or sometimes with my mentor when he arrives. 
“You learned quick for a boy, and I am pleased.” I looked to my mentor as I just shot an arrow through three small rings to the target without touching the rings. Its his patience and dedication that I managed to do that in the last two years. Apollo taught me not of bow and arrow but the art of fighting with a sword. We started our training not with wooden swords but real swords. He said that if I dod not use the real thing, I will always rely on the imitation. Apollo said he learned from the best himself; Hephaistos whom he is believed to be the God of metal workings. I asked of the dagger but Apollo said the dagger is the ladies weapon. Ours is the sword or the Bow and Arrow. I was soon to know my scars are not only of one bloodied thumb but more on the body and added with aching muscles. 
“Be not fooled by your anger for it will bring your downfall. Use your cunning mind to win and you will be victor over all. Hold my word well and you will be known in the tales to come.” I did many a times fight with my emotions as he always bested me in combat. So he taught me to hold my emotions behind and let the training come naturally.
Soon  Apollo was gone from my life when he find my training was complete. He left with these words and a skill I will mastered further by myself; “Find your new master who will teach you more. Then learned from yourself as none can teach you better than yourself”. 
But the best moment to come was when my father Laertes seek my companion to be on a boar hunt. He has not been on one for a a long time and he seeks the action of one now. We rode for the forests accompanied by the Captain of the Guards and his platoon. The boar is a wild animal with a pair of tusks on the side of their snout. They have a keen smell and these boars are the size of a bull. They hunt during dawn and dusk but they eat anything they can lay their teeth on. It was claimed that a herd of boar once fed on a horse but it was never proven. But the boar may be deemed dangerous has the most succulent meat when its roasted over the fire. But its price could be our leg or hands. 
“We are here now. Captain, take care of Odysseus. He is not experienced and he may be reckless.” I looked at the Captain who just smiled at me. On the later,l think he knows too well and on the former, I know myself. But this is my hunt too today. I will get my first boar or die trying; harsh words for me but I want to prove my mantle here.
The woods on Ithaca are thick undergrowths with high trees that reached to the top with its canopies of leaves shielding the sunlight in some places. Its not so much the dense forestry that haunts us but the morning mist that shadows the forest surrounding. I notched in my arrow which is laced with the poison to put it down fast. The Captain who was next to sneered at my choice of arrows. 
“We are hunting, young Lord. Not playing with the kids on the yard. Your arrows are too light and they may not penetrate the thick hides of these creatures. I would suggest you used a heavier arrow for more power.” I can see his arrow is almost twice as thick as mine. It may be so but a thicker arrow needs more strength to pull and its distance could be short. But a lighter one with the poison tips may be more effective on the right spots. 
“Aye, perhaps you need my dagger. It won’t be much but at least you can cut at it.” He hands me his dagger. Its a long one with about eight inches to the hilt and has both sharp edges. I took it and tucked it to my waist. 
We move in silence over the thickets and roots with our eyes looking for any telltale signs of the beasts.These beasts normally hunts alone but there are occasions they been seen in pairs,.The whole column halted on the signal of the scout. He’s seen or heard something as he is not moving. 
“Its coming!” The scout was the first to climbed up the tree while the others braced themselves for the rampaging boar. It did come from the where the scout was standing earlier, and its huge. It the height of man and the length of a horse, Arrows were released and the beast cried out in pain, but it did not stopped it. It rammed into one of the guards who was trying to notched his third arrow, but he failed to do so. The tusk of the beast impaled into his lower belly and flung him over like a ragged doll. I was still holding onto my arrow as I seek the place which to placed it. 
Its there that I seek. I raised my bow and hold my breath to make sure I have the correct stance. I pulled the arrow back and calculate it trajectory. The beast saw me now and is charging over. I breathe out and released the arrow at the same time. I can see the arrow as its keep its direction towards the right eye of the boar. The arrow pierced the soft tissue of the eyeball and embedded into the brain. Once its in there, the poison spread as its potency was designed to do so. It permeates into the brain tissue causing seizures and stopping the limbs. The beast fell on its snout and slides toward me. It not going to stop in time, and just before it hit me; I was pushed by the Captain to the side. I fell on my left shoulder and felt a sharp pain on my left leg. I got up ever slowly with the assistance of the Captain who cleared the beast in time. I stood up and then yelped out in pain. I reached down for my left shin and its bleeding. The Captain stooped down to look at it and smiled. He took out a piece of cloth and tightly wrapped it so the bleeding will stop. 
“You will live. Its deep cut but the wound will heal. Well, at least you have a scar for the girls to see now.” he laughed at my first battle wound. I am getting upset at being considered as a boy. My father was at my side and he was also laughing. I disliked that. Why can’t they respect me as their equal? I am a man now. I will be a King one day and they considered me as below them.
“Captain Palamedes. I need your assistance here.” My father called him and now I has his name. Palamedes, you are mine to control one day. And I would do it with glee. I can pictured myself smiling at the thought. 
“Your thoughts, my son.” I hear father but I am ignoring him. He is not for me to control. He has mother to do that. They are tending to the beast now its dead. They removing the innards so they can feed it to the other predators. They are dismembering the beast so they can carry it in parcels. They leave the rest which are the bones. But Palamedes took one more parcel; the head. He said its for me to display on my wall. I told him I am not interested in trophies. 
The hunt was over and we are back in the city but they are still talking about the hunt. I don’t understand the need to brag about it. Its over and we should be moving on but we are still talking about the past. I walked out of the place and went to the garden. I picked up my bow and arrow to continue my daily exercise.
“Is that what you do when you are upset?” I looked across to her. 
“How long has you been standing there?” Penelope has her bow with her. 
“Long enough for you to teach me. And I will teach you other things like humility and perhaps love.” So she did but it will take some years for me to returned it to her. 
--------------------------------------- 0 ------------------------------------
We sailed on the ships to help a nearby kingdom. On Ithaca, our army is not as big as others like Greece; but we are the equals of the Spartans’. Our bowmen are the best and we sent them out as mercenaries for that is the way of the warrior; to fight and die in battle. We also have beautiful ships that rivaled the Greeks. The ship of ours are built with broad bottom with a shallow draft. The bow of the ship had a protruded front at the water level for ramming or piercing the other ship’s hull. The ship is propelled by two banks of fifty men on each side sitting twenty five per level with two levels. The levels are placed one higher and nearer to the ship side while the other level was positioned at the bottom. It was positioned that way so the oarsmen would not interfere into another rowers move. 
We sailed off with ten ships of a thousand men; seven hundred spear’s men and three hundred archers. The spear’s man all carried long spears of almost double their height and holds the long narrow shield to protect their body. Everyone of them also wears a short sword with the double edge sharpened. As for the archers. They carry the Ithacan’ Bow like mine and they also hold the sword for close combat. But their shields are a small rounded one which they lashed to their waist unless its called to be used. 
I volunteered myself as the oarsman on the ship with my father. I wanted to do the duty as I wanted to be with the men. I do not want to be treated like a kid and I do get the attention of the rowers as they tried to outdo me. But soon when I am tired they add their effort to mine so the ship will not slack in the journey. I felt very proud of these men as they treat me like a fellow warrior.
We reached the land and we disembarked on the shores as per the instruction give by the emissary. Palemedes questioned the instruction as we were to come to aid and not invade, but father told him to hold his tongue. Indeed we were not received by anyone from the palace or the city which is half a day’s march away, but the instructions were clear. According to my father, we were told to come here and they will be a receiving party which they could be late. Eventually the receiving party came later, but they are not friendly. There are about five hundred of the infantry with five hundred calvary armed with short spears or lancers.
“Call to arms! Form the Square.” The army of Ithaca are one of the best in this level of stratagem. The one thousand men formed ten square with hundred men each. We moved in tandem of three  rows in formation of four, four and two. We moved in unison by the command. I was sent to the last row with Captain Palemedes. The enemy calvary came forward in loose formation and howling their battle-cry. Just when the calvary was about to hit the front row with the four square moved quickly aside with fast moves and let the calvary pushed on regardless. The second row did the same but the new stratagem was to form a crest formation. The calvary are trapped inside the formation of the crest and our archers released their volleys of arrows into the calvary. The riders find themselves trapped and their friends are dropping by the dozens. They charged into us but the long spears of ours deferred them from breaking through. Every time they reached our line, the spearmen of our lowered their spears to keep the calvary at a safer distance while the archers took out the numbers with their arrows. They find themselves losing som they called for a retreat. Once they have retreated, we moved back into the square formation again. This time their infantry did not come forward when they saw the calvary retreating. It was enough for them to do the same. 
A simple victory but its still victory.
King Laertes called for the column to marched to the City. Soon we arrived at the city wall, and we find the gates open. I looked up and see a man hanging by the wall.  A team of delegate’s comprising the King came out and greeted my father. We were then led into the City and feasted by the King for our victory. He claims the emissary was trying to overthrow him and the army send out to meet us were part of the rebels. We were told it was a mis-understanding and the emissary is being punished for pushing us to war. We sat at their Hall and the King of the land pledged his allegiance back to Ithaca. We left with a small horde of gold for our effort. 
On the trip back, my father spoke to me about the diplomatic issue here and why we sometime need to discuss things out instead of fighting. Fighting is always the last resort. If possible avoid bloodshed. That is what he taught me. But I learned something which he did not tell me; we need to be also cunning to win any battle. 
One day, that skill was put to test for me. We were visited by a group of men from faraway land, who claims to be royals. They seek my father’s consent to be placed their emissary here in our land. Its the custom of the King to approve it but King Laertes is away in another land. So its up to me being the King in waiting to honor these guests. But I wanted to see who they really are, so I disguised myself as servant and came bearing gifts to them on behalf of Odysseus. I gave them a scroll which wrote that my master is unwell and will see them tomorrow. I also feigned being mute and deaf so I am only a mere lowly servant to await on them. I brought them wines and food which they greatly consumed to the limit of intoxication. It was then one of them got up in drunken rage. 
“What fool will make us wait for so long? Does he knows that we are from a land which the army of us can conquer his in one battle? I am getting impatient for the wait.” He stumbled to the door to open it. But his other drunken friends stopped him.
“Hold,Idmed. We are of the King’s representative. If we do not see the King, how can we report back? And don’t forget our second intention to view their army so we can gauge their strength. And of their skills with the bow. I hear they are the best archers in the realm.” The one who speaks then falls down on the cushions, but he is the more sober of the group. 
“Medie, you disappoint me. I am the best archer in the land. Who can best me will be worth ten of the land’s archer.”  Idmed bares his chest to showed his badge of battles, and he explains everyone of them to his friends of the action it seen. But soon the wine and food was to overtake them, and they are sleeping soundly. 
It was morning when they were summoned to the garden to see me, the King in waiting. I received them in my full regalia as befitting of the position. They gave me their respect and announced their royal message. I let them have their ways until it was time for me to showcase the land’s best archer. The sun is set at the angle which I favor best, and my mentor arrived. Its none other than Apollo whom I call upon to do the contest.
“Our newest recruit into the ranks of archers. He is older than me, because its takes years to do what our archers can do. And this one is a slow learner but he can show you what we can do. Do your skills for the guests..... or perhaps a contest with one of you will suffice.” I knew the one known as Idmed will not disappoint me. He came forth with his shorter bow and threw the gauntlet onto Apollo. I prayed hard that Zeus is not watching this or he will strike the idiot for challenging his peer.
The contest was simple. The one who shoots the best win. My guest showed his skills from shooting at any angle and from any position. He has released six arrows on the six different targets. It was now Apollo’s turn. 
“Surely, you can do this blindfolded”, its my challenge to Apollo who felt it will be an insult to stepped down on it. He nodded his head and his eyes was covered. He did the same shots at the same position but there was a difference. All his arrows pierced the arrows of Almed down the staff into two halfs. Even the arrowhead is pushed further in by the force of the impact. Almed fell from his seat on seeing the marvelous skills presented here.
We did established diplomatic ties but I put the emissary in the far corner of the island. As for Apollo, besides his tongue lashing and extra hours of practice for me; I got my best compliments from him. 
“Your counsel rivals that of Zeus himself. Be careful as not to offend him.”

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...