Monday, January 30, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 1 Scene 2 Subscene 3

 Act One Scene Two

Sub-Scene Three

The Prodigal Sons.

The Great Chamberlain, Polonius had waited patiently for the meal to be served. It was not hunger that prevailed in him but a sense of impatience to see the event ends soon. He stole glances at his only son, Laertes, seated some distance from him, unlike what a son should be when with his father. The man was with his peers, who were unlike him having cheerful sessions, while he sat brooding in his expression. Perhaps, he still grief for the death of the King whom he had considered as his better father.

“Laertes had grown more since I last saw him.” The one seated next to Polonius was the Emperor himself, Claudis the Great as he was named.

“Yes, I did not see him for a great many years. He was in Paris, as I was made to know, pursuing his passion in the arts.” The father of the man declared.

“Ah, yes. The young at heart seems to flutter far from the next.” Claudius smiled. “I am once without a son but now with one that I have yet to know.”

“Soon, my Emperor,” Polonius said with a smile. Laertes approached the table then. He stood on the Emperor’s side and bowed to the one there.

And now, Laertes, what's the news with you? You told us of some suit.” The Emperor spoke as if he was in the play with the King playing the supporting role to ask him of something.

“What is it,  Laertes? You mentioned that you have a favor to ask of me. You’ll never be wasting your words by making a reasonable request of the King of Denmark… or rather the yet-to-be-ascended King. Ask for that I wouldn’t give you?” Claudius laughed. “Though your father is as vital to the throne as the head is to the heart or the hand to the mouth. What do you want, Laertes?”

“My powerful lord,…. I duly apologize. It should be, my duly Emperor.” Laertes bowed bis head once more. “I’d like your permission to go back to France. Though I came willingly to Denmark to show my loyalty at your coronation, now that my duty is done, I must admit that my thoughts are once more directed toward France. I hope you will give me your permission to go.”

“Do I detect a flutter of the hearts there, Polonius?” Claudius mocked the young man. “Surely, you are his father will know.”

“Do you have your father’s permission?” Claudius looked at the young man. “Blood is thicker than… mere loyalty.”

“Yes, he has, and won my permission by asking me over and over again.” Polonius made a weak smile. “I finally gave consent but he does have to seek yours too. Do allow him.”

“Ah, the courtesy of our generation. Once when we only hear the King, now we may be asked of the Emperor.” Claudius remarked before turning to Laertes.

“Yes, my son. You may leave when you are ready.” Claudius smiled and then looked around. “I wonder how far my other son, Hamlet? My nephew and my ….son now. I hope not brooding in the chamber. We missed him at the funeral.”

“I am here, Claudius.” Hamlet appeared from behind the Emperor.

“Sneaking on me like before, Hamlet. I do wish you were more forwarding for us to meet.” Claudius turned to look at the peer of Laertes. Both of them are of the same age, with closely associated passion; one on the stage and the other behind the scenes. Peers with different talents but never a joint effort in their work. Professional envy was the excuse said by many.

“Much ado about nothing.” The King once remarked on the duo. The headlines played it differently; the actors have their stage to marvel at.

“A little more than kin and less than kind.” Hamlet stood there still dressed in the dark tuxedo and white gloves holding eh stalk of lilac. He had known Claudius since birth and was even considered at some stage,  the doting father to the child while the King was at his rehearsals or on the road with the plays.

“We should reconnect again, Hamlet.” Claudius looked at the other. “I do miss you with my plays and schedules.”

It was remarked that one once has the three maestros shared the same stage. It was headlined as ‘trifecta of heaven, hell and the living world’, the King with the Emperor and leading them was the young also named Hamlet. It was by chance a meet of the trio on stage but not since then they have not shared the stage, or as remarked by one critic that it shall be only death that to be their next meet.

“Why are you so gloomy, Hamlet?”Claudius asked. “As a courtesy, we kept him here for your return.”

“I have been in the sun far too long,” Hamlet replied. The sun there is the applause of the audience and hence his adoration for it. He saw then the approaching mother.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...