Monday, January 30, 2023

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 34

 34

 

“You looked fine for an old King.” Hengist greeted Vortigern who met him at the coasts off the land with the cliffs to his back. The former had received the invitation to return to the land.

“Come forth, Hengist.” That was the message conveyed by the daughter on behalf of the Lord. Hengist arrived but caution made him sail with the ship loaded with warriors.

“I see you look well for one who was defeated by a young cub.” Vortigern sneered back.

“Sadly he died before we can meet in battle.” Hengist roared. “We are warriors and death to us will be the fatal blow to the heart, and not dying on the bedding.”

“Aye, the young cub had passed on.” Vortigern looked to the other. “Vortimer was no real King.”

“You are the King, Vortigern. I had known that for a long time.” Hengist praised the Lord. “So, tell me. How is my daughter? Have you any child with her?”

“Nay, we have none to call ours,” Vortigern replied.

“You poor sod. I need to teach you some lessons of mine.” Hengist looked behind the Lord to the cliffs there. “Are you alone this time, Vortigern?”

“I am. I have my army but they are scattered. I have called on you once more to be my mercenaries. I hear the Picts and Danes are sharpening their blades.”

“I will be forthcoming that my clans do not have faith in you anymore. We came in your last call of need and ended up with our backs to the sea. We barely escaped with our families.” Hengist laid it out plainly to the other.

“I heard otherwise.” Vortigern looked at the other. “I have my scouts on the lookout. You massed a huge army there; close to three hundred thousand. Are you challenging the Romans or perhaps the other Gauls?” Vortigern challenged back. “Britons are still strong in the numbers and if you land on our land again, we will unit against your army.”

“Allay your threats to one who may have fear of you, but I am not of that.” Hengist looked to the cliffs once more. “You need not hide the archers there. I have not invaded you.”

“Hengist, we are linked in relation. I will tell you again. I want your army as my mercenaries. If you say nay, then our discussion is over.” Vortigern waited for the reply from the other but Hengist had taken to the ship. He knew then that the Anglo-Saxons will not aid him in claiming the throne.

“It seems that your mercenaries disliked your wealth.” Lord Cornell had ridden to approach the other.

“It would seem that way, Lord Cornell. There will be war and it's time to tell the other Lords. They are to determine their fate. Be with us or fight their own.”  Vortigern was upset that Anglo-Saxons had refused his offer. He needs to find other allies to protect the land.

Both the Lords returned to their castle watched by Hengist.

“Vortigern does not trust you despite the years we had known him.” Horsa stood next to Hengist.

“We are allies and to some, the word relations may be accepted, but the conquest of the land makes us rivals.” Hengist voiced out. :” Our task here is done. Now we return to battle our own with the chiefs. How many will be with us in the coming battles?’”

The decisions were different at the castle where Rowena had taken charge of the servants. She had taken conference with the heads of the castle there.

“Lady Conte, please have the King’s chamber cleaned. It will be open to daily airing and kept clean for the duration.” Rowena looked from the matronly figure to the head of the kitchens. “I expect the larders to be filled with the food that my Lord liked.”

“Old Albert, get rid of the plagues that held the King’s image. And also remove the weasel that attends to the King then. He is not to be seen in the castle. Make sure before he leaves the castle, checks his belongings. I want nothing of any value to be with him. He is a thief.”

“And for the sake of mine, remove those lilacs from the hall. I can’t have them all around me like a garland for the dead.”

No one dares to challenge the lady who was once the Queen.

That was not with the two princes in exile.

“Uther, we must meet the other Lords. They are our aides to fight Vortigern.” Aurelius was stooping over the parchments that he had written to be handed by messengers to the Lords. “Where is my seal?”

“It’s on the flooring. You dropped it there.” Uther was by the opening at the wall. He was looking in the direction of the land that was their brother’s.

“Who killed Constan? Was it the Picts or Vortigern?” Uther voiced out. “Or was it Lord Cornell as rumored by some?”

“Does it matter now, Uther. We will sort it out once we are back.” Aurelius took the wax to be heated. It was a slow process for ensuring the wax surface was evenly heated to lay a mark on the parchment. The seal will be imprinted on the wax when it was dripped on the parchment to seal it. The seal marking will serve two purposes; one is to denote the sender of the message and the other was if the seal was broken before it was opened by the receiver, then that message was read by others.

“How many seasons have we spent here? I counted more of the winter's offerings that I am beginning to feel like the old tree that was planted at the hall at the celebration. Are we ornamental like the trinkets that were hung there?” Uther raised his arms. “Here, they are. The young princes once again to be seen us.”

“Hush it, Uther. I am making plans to return home.” Aurelius brushed off the words of his younger brother.

“Why don’t we ride in now? We have an army to impress the Lords. We can pick up more warriors on the trail.” Uther pressed on. “I am not one to wait. Whatever I want, I will get.”

“Arrogance, my brother. What you have is mere numbers compared to Lord  Cornell or Vortigern. You said to get the extra numbers but how many Lords have sworn allegiance to you? Please be patient. Let me plan the strategy. We will win back our land.”  Aurelius then packed up the messages before he left for the meeting place with one that he desired to meet.

“Druid, I need …”

 “Your answers will soon arrive. I have been to the land and saw for myself the upheaval of the Lords. They are without a King now, and Vortigern is looking to be one again.” The druid told Aurelius. “You must gather your strength for the time to return may be soon.”

“I am, druid. The messages are sent out and Uther is recruiting more into the army.” Aurelius spoke highly of his brother. “He is the lion …”

“No, you are the lion while he is …. The dragon.”

“Dragon? The dragon was described as the serpent of all evil; numerous stories portray the dragon as the bearer of evil, death, and misfortune. They have not existed for generations.” Aurelius voiced out. “I doubt Uther is a dragon. A bear perhaps.”

“Regardless, young Aurelius, Proceed with your planning. You will be King soon.” The druid looked at Aurelius. “Both of you hold the King’s blood.”

“Yes, we are of the Kings,” Aurelius called out and then took his leave. The druid stood there looking and then turned away.

“A list of Kings and none as yer will the King of Kings.” The druid named Merling muttered.

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...