Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 30

 30

Soon after the call that the new King was to be crowned, a few events took place on the land.

The affair inauguration of King Vortimer was a quiet one, attended only by the Lords who supported him.  He was handed the crown by Lord Cornell for many others will not partake in it. Vortigern stood at the side with his Queen watching silently.

“The throne now sits a new King.” Vortimer looked from the previous King to the Lords. “I may be King but the lands of ours are still plagued by …. Invaders.”

When mentioned the word invaders, the ex-Queen looked away. She was not in tears but the fury was in her expression.

“We will ride to remove the invaders from our land but first I need to arrange for the previous King to stay here.” Vortimer looked to the one who denies him his parenthood.

“Vortigern and his …lady will remain here at the castle under the guards. They are not to leave the castle.” Vortimer looked to the other. “You should be thankful I am merciful or it will be your head hung over the ramparts, ….. Father.”

“We will march at dawn to remove the barbarians. For today, we will rejoice.” Vortimer announced to the Lords there.

“My King, what of the other Lords that are not here?” Lord Cornell asked.

“If they are not here, then I will consider them as unsupportive of my throne, ” Vortimer replied. “I will attend to them when we return victorious.”

“More to this, King Aldrian of Amorica had pledged me ten thousand of his warriors to aid us in the war.” Vortimer released the news to the Lords. There was a sigh of relief among them for the war had taken its toll on their strength.

“I did overhear that the young princes are there in exile.” One of the Lords voiced.

“I am not made known of it. The assistance came from King Aldrian and nothing was mentioned of the young princes.” Vortimer assured the Lords. “This is my throne now and anyone challenging me will be faced by my sword.”

The gathered Lords remained silent and soon it was to be the setting of the issues at the castle. Gildas was back in his role to advise the new King while he acted as an intermediary with the Lords. Vortigern was not without his intentions to regain the throne, which he conspired with some of the other Lords, not in the favor of the new King.

King Aldrian did send the army as stated by Vortimer but he did not state that the army was led by one named Aurelius Ambrosius.

“Young Aurelius, you will ride as the commander of the army not to invade but to rout the Anglo-Saxons there. They are still the enemy of your family.” King Aldrian had told the young commander. “For no reason, we are to wage war with the new King.”

“Vortimer ursurps the pretender to my throne. He held no rights to it like Vortigern.” Aurelius had raised the issue then.

“It may be true, but the timing of your return as King is not now. You are to remove the threat of the Anglo-Saxons from your people. They will need to hear of the victories. It will shadow the victories of Vortimer. It will lend hope to the people.” Aurelius nodded to the call by the King.

All were planning for a comeback including Lord Vortigern.

The reinstated Lord Vortigern held his meetings in his chamber with the Lords there.

“Lord Baine, you are still in my favor.” Lord Vortigern looked at the elderly Lord who had served him when he rode by the father’s side. “I am sure of my return soon.”

“I am forever for you, my King.” Lord Baine bowed to the other.

“I am not the King now. Please accept my gratitude toward you and your father.” Lord Baine’s father was bedridden then.

“We will be ready to ride with you.”

Another event also unfolded then; hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

“My Queen,” The lady Rowena stripped of her rank when Vortigern was de-throned was still regarded by some of the servants. “There is a message for you.”

Rowena was in communication with her father, Hengist soon after Vortigern’s abdication. The set of servants was changed but soon she found the weight of the coins could assist in the matter.

“Here it’s.” Rowena was handed the message written on a small parchment and placed in the narrow canister. She read the message; identifying the secret seal of her father before opening the parchment.

Rowena’s eyes were in tears on the reading of the message.

“Time is short for us here now. We need to sail soon. We will return. Soon to meet once gain.”

Rowena had other news on the plight of the Anglo-Saxons.  They were in retreat sending their families to the coasts to take the ships across the channel, while the brave warriors stayed at the flanks to stop the New Army.

“Vortimer has more Lords to his side.” Vortigern had spoken to Rowena. “Some of my staunchest allies have changed allegiance toward him. Lord Cornell himself is now with Vortimer.”

Vortigern was with his scouts and the news they brought was dire.

“Aurelius rides as commander of King Aldrian’a army. He rides to fight the Anglo-Saxons whom he still claimed to be his brother’s killing.” 

“Aye, my King. The young prince blames the Anglo-Saxons. And I was told that he will not ride here. He owes his allegiance to King Aldrian.” The Lord who attended to Vortigern voiced out.

“Why did King Aldrian do that? What does he expect from Vortimer?” Vortigern asked.

“Perhaps an alliance?”

“Or a display of strength toward me?” Vortigern sighed. “The young princes may have come of age and will soon challenge me.”

At that moment, Hengist stood on the stern of the ship which had hoisted its sails to catch the high tides. He was with his warriors, all forlorn and dejected that they were retreating home.

“I had stayed. I will return one day.” Hengist made rhe vow. “Beware my anger then.”

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...