Sunday, January 31, 2016

TTO Episode 2.2


2.2         
I rushed to the wall opening and looked out. The city was burning from the aerial attacks of the Stingers. I recognized those crafts from their designs. It was disbelieving then for the Federation of Planets to do such an act on one of its allied member but the collapsing structures were real then. I looked towards the Command Base of the Enforcers with its five imposing towers. It was a distance away but with the armored vehicle I could there in under a minute. I have to do that for Edo was there. She needed me.
“If you construct will stop creaking at the joints then maybe can we fight for our city?” It was Mos Early standing by the bar counter. The man was not called a Conductor for his musical inclinations but his ability to fight. He had already strapped on a vest with the stick explosives and in his arms was the Heavy Shot PH1020 Hand Cannon. The design resembled a long pipe with a six loader shots at the rear. It was to shoulder mounted and have an effective range of five miles. The constructs there all looked at the man who addressed them.
“Well, take your pick.” Early motioned to the bar counter. The front panel facing the tables dropped open and it displayed the rack of mini cannons and heavy rifles. I ignored the offer and took my run towards the armored vehicle. During my run then, I saw the Stingers were all over the skies and there was no defense against it.
Not yet then.
 I heard the whoosing noise of the familiar launch of the missiles. It was a small one from the shoulder mounted launcher but it was effective. The Stinger went down seconds later. One up for the defenders but we were cannon fodders for them with their superior numbers and weapons. More shots went up but we were the miserable units. I reached the vehicles and reached for the door lock. I regretted the need for secured locks but then I wished it will just open on my command.
I punched the lock through. 
Within seconds I was driving towards the Command Base. I swerved and knocked a couple of constructs in the way before I saw the Stinger attacking the South Tower. I calculated the trajectories and worked out the damages. I knew then of its intention and stopped the vehicle. I jumped to the rear and grabbed the jet pack. It was then I saw the escape tube chute. I did a thermal scan and matched the heat signals.
It was Edo.
She was in the chute.
I kicked the jet pack thrusters and went into overdrive. The jet pack could do some serious speed and it was troopers issued. Those nuts loved the danger levels even during training. I went up into the air and raced towards the chute. Edo was reckless, but her other knack was she will do anything more than once. I saw the tear from inside the chute and then there she was dropping out.
I loved the part when she called my name.
I swooped up and then down in a direct trajectory to catch her. For me not to break her bones on impact was to match her descent speed and then slowed the trajectory before we hit the ground. I calculate d it all in my puny processor and took the plunge. I grabbed her on the descent and then kicked in the reverse thrusters. I estimated that the margin of error was milliseconds. I pulled hard at my effort with the body turned to create more friction as to delay the descent.
It was a last second call.
I ditched her into the nearby pond that they constructed in the shape of the justice scales. She dropped down hard but mine was harder. I hit the grass turf and ended up in a series of rolls. I survived my fall with my synthetic skin but the gears and nuts all creaked out loud. Within seconds I was up and running towards Edo. She was seated in the pond. I guessed it was not as deep as I expected.
“Edo, how are you?” I felt my sensors must have gone bonkers. She glared at me. I tell you women can get at you in even the oddest places. “Must you drop me here?”
“I can’t explain now but we are under attack by Stingers. Federation Stingers.” I told her rather plainly.
“Where is my bike?” I heard her called out. Damn the lady at that moment she wanted her bike. I almost shed some oil then. I motioned to the armored vehicle. When she left with the troopers I parked the bike inside the vehicle. She rushed off to get the bike.  

Damn! Those ladies always do that when they needed a ride. They just couldn’t wait. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

of course like your website but you have to check the spelling on quite
a few of your posts. A number of them are rife
with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I'll surely
come back again.

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...