Monday, January 18, 2016

The Planet 12.3 Finale

12.3  Home

I had strapped in at the pilot seat while watching the indicators on the console. The engines were powering up steadily although I felt the tremors outside. The planet surface was in turmoil with cracks appearing on it. The sensors on the craft reported the core of the planet was erupting. The hammering at the Bridge Door was thundering but it was holding up. The doorway was designed to repel intruders in the case of boarding. Once locked from inside, it intricate locking mechanism could only be opened by inside or by a special code. I had run from the Hanger to here when I saw Daniel.
I had to escape from the dusts.

“Surface compromise on the integrity of the craft.” The system was responding to the condition. It then gave out a stern warning. “We are attacked by some mineral substance from the surface. Wind velocity had picked up on the surface. We are registering…”

L391 or L391-2 was trying to get into the craft. They had force opened the rear doorway and more dusts were accumulating in. It was their only option given the planet was in the brink of self destruct.

It was then I pressed the thruster ignition on the console. The thrusters were not fully operational and needed some time to recalibrate. I was also concerned on the craft other sections for the sensors were displaying that the hull structure was deteriorating due to the harsh developing conditions outside. I felt a lurch on my seat then.

“Craft in danger of collapsing.” The sensor registered the surface was cracking beneath its landing struts. I checked the indicators. I have no choice and pushed the thruster buttons once more to force the fuel into the combustion unit. We have to take off soon or be buried there. The three combustion engines screamed out and then it lifted the craft from the surface. It was forcing itself up despite the strong winds and then the craft was soaring up.

“Surface compromised! Core discharge hitting us in three seconds. The sensors screeched out. I felt the craft tilted to the side when the heated plasma from the planet core hit at its left wing. The impact tore at the winds plating and the craft screamed out more warnings. I hit the switches to compensate for it while the craft resumed its lift off. I then turned my attention to the doorway. It was all quiet there and that concerns me.

Maybe they got through.

The reply came to me when I saw the other consoles lighted up. The dusts have compromised on the system. Somehow it had locked into the Bridge through the secondary system, and was piloting the craft. I looked at the main screen on the Bridge and ran a diagnostic scan for the dusts. They were everywhere, and they were taking control of the craft. Then the message came from the system speakers.

“It’s futile, John. We have control on the craft now.” The dusts have won. “We will command your craft now to your planet.”

“Who are you? Daniel? Dusty?” I shouted out.

“It’s neither of them. We are the new L 391 now. You may call us L 391-3 or any name you may wished. We will rebuild the planets into our new destiny.”

I knew then I was doomed like the others. The sensors have picked up that the fleet around the planet was no more there. 

I was all alone. Even the craft was not mine to control anymore. The system will not respond to my commands. I slammed my right fist onto the console. I was defeated.

“Do not despair, John. We will let you live. You are our savior.”

I slumped back into the seat and sighed. There was nothing I could do. These dusts are too powerful for me to fight them. I then stood up and walked to the doorway. I hit the unlock commands and then watched the doorway slide open. Just when it did, the dusts came flowing in like rolling waves. It ignored me and proceeded to the consoles. I had enough and walked towards the hanger. The rear door was closed on takeoff but the place was covered in dusts. The dusts moved away where I may step. I stood in the middle of the hanger and looked at the rear doorway. If its forced open, it may compromise on the craft integrity if the doorway. Even if I left it open but there was nothing I could do to hold it there.
I looked around and saw the battle suits. It had its weapons removed and was only the basic suit shell. The shoulder mounted mini cannon was on the flooring and so were the energy packs. There was a cluster of them on the flooring. The dusts had worked like an army of ants moving the items to the corner. I made my way across the hanger flooring towards the droid suit.

It was a calculated risk.

 I hit the manual override on the rear door. It triggered the mechanical door lock to release on it clasp. The door lowered down and a vacuum was created in the hanger. Everything was not pinned or clammed down was sucked out including myself. So was the droid suit.

My right fingers grabbed onto the suit and then I hit the codes on the armor plate. It activated the suit to receive me. It was not easy to handle oneself in the cold void space and without oxygen. I was also among the item sucked out by the vacuum including the dusts. I squeezed in and then activated the suit. Once it was activated, the suit oxygen unit went into action and gave me the needed relief. I did not have much time to dally then and searched for the mini cannon that were dismounted. It was there and I used the jet pack on the boots to reach for it. I grabbed it and checked that its energy pack was still intact.

Then it was hell to pay.

I shot the energy shot at the closing rear door which the dust had taken back control. The door was still closing when the energy shot hit the hanger. It was a wild shot but its impact was great. I may have hit the explosives or something vulnerable to the craft for it resulted into a massive explosion there. The hanger rear door blew open and the flames were seen in there. The craft went into a spin and then it dived back into the planet atmosphere.

It worked.

My plan worked.
\
And it was then I saw the planet began to break into sections with visible explosions on the surface.

The planet was going into an explosive ball of flame.

I was going to die.

I was then.


Epilogue

“Commander Cain, I think the survivor can be questioned now.”

I opened my eyes and saw the officer standing before me. I was in Infirmary.

“I am Commander Cain of DSV Madeson. Can you understand me?” I nodded and then replied.


“The dusts killed them all.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...