Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Titus Adrian Final Act

SCENE III. ( the final act. )

Court of TITUS's house.

5.3.3
The barons all stood up from their seats. They were of many thoughts; from the indignity of being served man’
flesh, to the imprisonment there in the hall, and of worse to witness the killing of the leader. Some other thoughts
were of sympathy to the Adrian while some were contempt of the action by the vile Queen. None was to think that
their leader was weak, but one did said he was sadly influenced by the vixen, and with both their deaths, there was a
closure to the matter.

It was then they asked themselves who shall be leader; the Grand Baron of all the barons. It was then one who was
not a baron yet the aide to the previous Leader spoke for the Adrian and for Rome.

“Lucas our leader; for well I know the common voice do cry it shall be so. AEmilius looked back to the barons and
nodded. Theirs was a look of confusion but soon their good obliging nature prevailed. They fear another war, and
with the Adrian ‘drained’ of warriors; they feared their sons may be sacrificed in it, and to the worse, their lands be
taken too.

“Lucas, all hail, Rome's royal leader! The barons hailed the new leader. Fresh wines were poured and the tables
cleared of the foul meat. On it was laid new servings of fruits and sweet tidings; as befitting for meat then was
considered repulsive to the taste. Soon the celebrations came to an end with most of the barons satiated with wine
and their diet amused with fruits, they were roused from their rest by the calling of Micheal.
“We have one more thing to do.” Micheal looked to the servants. “Go into old Titus' sorrowful chamber. And hither
hale that misbelieving Moor to be adjudged some direful slaughtering death, as punishment for his most wicked
life.”

“Thanks, gentle Romans: may I govern so.” Lucas spoke to the barons. To heal Rome's harms, and wipe away her
woe! But, gentle people, give me aim awhile, for nature puts me to a heavy task.”

The eldest son of Titus approached the previous patriarch.

“Stand all aloof: but, uncle, draw you near, to shed obsequious tears upon this trunk. Lucas went down on his knees
before his dead father. “O, take this warm kiss on thy pale cold lips. These sorrowful drops upon thy blood-stain'd
face, the last true duties of thy noble son!”

Tear for tear, and loving kiss for kiss.” Micheal laid his hand on the loyal son of Titus Adrian. Thy brother
Micheal tenders on thy lips: O were the sum of these that I should pay countless and infinite, yet would I pay them!”

Lucas stood up and the saw his son, the young Titus Adrian by his side. He pat the boy on the head.

“Junior, come hither, boy; come, come, and learn of us to melt in showers: thy grandsire loved thee well. Many a
time he danced thee on his knee, sung thee asleep, his loving breast thy pillow: many a matter hath he told to thee,
meet and agreeing with thine infancy; in that respect, then, like a loving child.”


“Shed yet some small drops from thy tender spring, because kind nature doth require it so.” Lucas told his son.
“Friends should associate friends in grief and woe: bid him farewell; commit him to the grave; do him that kindness,
and take leave of him.”
O grandsire, grandsire! even with all my heart.” Junior replied. “Would I were dead, so you did live again! O Lord,
I cannot speak to him for weeping; my tears will choke me, if I open my mouth.”

The boy ran to hug his grand uncle for comfort. It was obvious the boy was more comfortable with the elders than
his own father. Lucas could not blame him for he was hardly near the child. He was at war most times and more so
then the child’s mother had died. He hid his grief in battles and killings. He was to call for his son when the
servants brought in Aaron.

You sad the Adrian have done with woes: give sentence on this execrable wretch that hath been breeder of these
dire events.” AEmilius told the new leader.
“Set him breast-deep in earth, and famish him; there let him stand, and rave, and cry for food; if any one relieves or
pities him, for the offence he dies. This is our doom.”Lucas gave the order. Some stay to see him fasten'd in the
earth.

Aaron struggled in his bindings and then cried out.
“O, why should wrath be mute, and fury dumb?” Aaron curses out. I am no baby, I, that with base prayers. I should
repent the evils I have done: ten thousand worse than ever yet I did would I perform, if I might have my will; if one
good deed in all my life I did, I do repent it from my very soul.

“Silence!” Lucas kicked at the Moor. “Take him away and be done as my command.”
“Lucas Adrian, I thought Romans fought with honor. Yet you seek to kill me when I have no way to defend myself?
Not fair! May you die in a dishonorable manner equaled to this. The Moor cursed at the new leader. The Moor was
led away while Lucas turned to the barons.

“Some loving friends convey the leader hence, and give him burial in his father's grave.” Lucas bowed to them. “My
father and Lavinia shall forthwith be closed in our household's monument.”

“As for that heinous tiger, Tamara, no funeral rite, nor mourning weeds, no mournful bell shall ring her burial; but
throw her forth to beasts and birds of prey: her life was beast-like, and devoid of pity; and, being so, shall have like
want of pity.
“Then, afterwards, to order well the state, that like events may ne'er it ruinate. Lucas gave his order.



Epilogue

Soon the hall was emptied of its guests and the cleaning servants came in. There were two of them; a tall with a
heavy bottom in the frame was one while the other was deemed to obese in the looks given his girth around his waist
matched half his height. They began the dire tasks of cleaning when the first one ever the brighter of the two spoke
out.

“I wondered if Titus was ever sane or was he mad like what the others said.” Abbot the taller one spoke while he
cleared the mess done by the Goths.
“ Aye, he was mad. I saw him with my own eyes. I cared not to report it for we are humble servants here, and not
some barons.” Costello replied. “More to it, was the last part of cooking his insanity or his real self? ”


“That was his true self. I had known him since he was a child. He likes to cook for he favored the flesh of man more
than creatures. He had hi dden it from his family and friends but for the few trusted ones.” Abbot replied. Costello
was shaken by the revelation but his awareness came too late. Abbot thrust the dagger into the heart.
“Rest well, my friend. Your meat will taste well in my feast for Junior. He likes them tender with some fats on the

side. Like his grandfather. ” Abbot laughed. “Considered you now truly one with the Adrian.”

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...