Sunday, May 3, 2015

Titus Adrian Act 4.1.2

ACT IV

SCENE I.

4.1.2

“Give signs, sweet girl, for here are none but friends’, Titus consoled his daughter. “What Roman lord it was durst
do the deed: Or slunk not Saturday, as Tarquin erst that left the camp to sin in Lucrece' bed?

Sit down, sweet niece: brother, sit down by me. Micheal comforted his brother. Apollo, Pallas, Jove, or Mercury,
Inspire me, that I may this treason find! My lord, look here: look here, Lavinia.”

This sandy plot is plain; guide, if thou canst.” Micheal pointed to soil there in the garden. It was soft to write on. 
This after me, when I have writ my name without the help of any hand at all.

Micheal wrote his own name on the soil with a stick from the garden. He used his mouth to move the stick to mark
the words.

“Cursed be that heart that forced us to this shift! Micheal cursed at the loss of the limbs. Write thou good niece;
and here display, at last, what God will have discover'd for revenge; Heaven guide thy pen to print thy sorrows
plain, that we may know the traitors and the truth!

Lavinia did the same. With every stroke of the stick, she relived her ordeal. The etchings showed the two brothers
held onto her arms and dragged her towards the deep forest. They cared not her well being, but their raw lust. She
did screamed when she woke up but they clubbed her to submission. The place of the act was the river banks of the
stream where they took turns on her. It was Demetrius who did the initial vile act; he was vicious with her.

“I want her sanctuary; her untouched one.” Demetrius selfish in his action cared not her pain. He had his fill and
then passed her to Chiron.

“You may have her now while I recover.  Demetrius told his brother. The younger sibling was reluctant initially,
but Lavinia cursed at him. It infuriated him and because of that, he did his own. He chose to bury his seeds into her,
and cursed her with his bloodline. It was a form of fantasy for the tormentor that their victim will bear their burden


of their acts. Lavinia wrote on the various acts along with the beatings. She also described the removal of her tongue
and the breaking of her jaw when she bit them. Then finally she described the final act of removing her hands.

“O, do ye read, my lord, what she hath writ?” Titus exclaimed out in disgust. He had earlier turned away from it but
the curiosity of his made him come back. She had taken the whole sandy pathway with her tale.

“'Stuprum. Chiron. Demetrius. The names are revealed.” Titus called out.

“What, what! There are the lustful sons of Tamara.” Micheal exclaimed out. Performers of this heinous, bloody
deed?”

“Magni Dominator poli, Titus spoke out. “Tam lentus audis scelera? tam lentus vides? ( Translated: The Great
Ruler of the pole,” Titus spoke out. "A very tough to hear crimes so tough you see?”)

“O, calm thee, gentle lord; although I know there is enough written upon this earth to stir a mutiny in the mildest
thoughts.” Micheal spoke out in anger. And arm the minds of infants to exclaims.

“My lord, kneel down with me; Lavinia, kneel; and kneel, sweet boy, the Roman Hector's hope; and swear with me,
as, with the woful fere.” Micheal called on the others. And father of that chaste dishonour'd dame, Lord Junius
Brutus swear for Lucrece' rape, that we will prosecute by good advice.”

Lord Junius Brutus was the one who led the revolt against the last King of Rome; Tarquin Superbus after his alleged
rape of Lucretia at the hands of the King’s son.

Mortal revenge upon these traitorous Goths, and see their blood, or die with this reproach. Micheal called for the
revolt.

'Tis sure enough, an you knew how. Titus supported it. “But if you hunt these bear-whelps, then beware: the dam
will wake; and, if she wind you once, she's with the lion deeply still in league, and lulls him whilst she playeth on
her back, and when he sleeps will she do what she list.

Titus cautioned the other of the Queen.

You are a young huntsman, Micheal; let it alone; and, come, I will go get a leaf of brass, and with a gad of steel
will write these words, and lay it by: the angry northern wind will blow these sands, like Sibyl's leaves, abroad, and
where's your lesson, then?” Titus turned to the youngest Adrian. “Boy, what say you?”

I say, my lord, that if I were a man, Junior replied. Their mother's bed-chamber should not be safe for these bad
bondmen to the yoke of Rome.”

“Ay, that's my boy! thy father hath full oft for his ungrateful country done the like. Micheal praised the youngest
Adrian.

“And, uncle, so will I, an if I live.” Junior smiled.

“Come, go with me into mine armoury.” Titus told the youngest Adrian. “Junior, I'll fit thee; and withal, my boy
shalt carry from me to the Queen' sons. Presents that I intend to send them both: Come, come; thou'lt do thy
message, wilt thou not?”

“Ay, with my dagger in their bosoms, grandsire. Junior spoke out as if he was readied for battle.

“No, boy, not so; I'll teach thee another course.” Titus cautioned the boy. “Lavinia, come. Micheal, look to my
house. Junior and I'll go brave it at the Court.”

Titus, Lavinia and Junior left the garden but Micheal chose to stay behind.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...