Sunday, May 24, 2015

Titus Adrian Scene III Act 5.3.2

SCENE III.

Court of TITUS's house.

5.3.2


There was chaos in the hall when everyone including the barons took sides, but surprisingly they were all for Lucas.
Micheal stepped in as mediator.
You sad-faced men, people and sons of Rome, by uproar sever'd, like a flight of fowl scatter'd by winds and high
tempestuous gusts, Micheal began his compromising speech once more. “O, let me teach you how to knit again.”

“These broken limbs again into one body; lest Rome herself be bane unto herself, and she whom mighty kingdoms
court'sy to, like a forlorn and desperate castaway,” Micheal asked the assembled to unite. Do shameful execution
on herself but if my frosty signs and chaps of age, grave witnesses of true experience, cannot induce you to attend
my words,”
Speak, Rome's dear friend, as erst our ancestor.” Micheal looked to his nephew while he dismissed his servants.
“When with his solemn tongue he did discourse to love-sick Dido's sad attending ear.”

The story of that baleful burning night when subtle Greeks surprised King Priam's Troy, tell us what Sinon hath
bewitch'd our ears, Micheal compared the Queen to Sinon, who lied to the Trojans that the horse was safe and the
Greeks had sailed away. “Or who hath brought the fatal engine in that gives our Troy, our Rome, the civil wound.”

My heart is not compact of flint nor steel,: Micheal’ eyes welled up in tears. “Nor can I utter all our bitter grief, but
floods of tears will drown my oratory, and break my utterance, even in the time when it should move you to attend
me most. Lending your kind commiseration.
“Here is a captain, let him tell the tale; your hearts will throb and weep to hear him speak. Micheal pulled forth
Lucas to the front. “He is his father in the grand days.”

“Then, noble auditory, be it known to you, that cursed Chiron and Demetrius were they that murdered our leader's
brother.” Lucas spoke out in the clear voice of truth. And they it were that ravished our sister: for their fell faults
our brothers were beheaded.”

“Our father's tears despised, and basely cozen'd of that true hand that fought Rome's quarrel out, and sent her
enemies unto the grave. Lucas drew on his own hatred and later punishment. “Lastly, myself unkindly banished,
The gates shut on me, and turn'd weeping out, to beg relief among Rome's enemies.”
Who drown'd their enmity in my true tears. Lucas looked to the Goths who nodded to his words. And opened
their arms to embrace me as a friend.”

I am the turned forth, be it known to you.” Lucas raised his voice. That have preserved her welfare in my blood;
And from her bosom took the enemy's point, sheathing the steel in my adventurous body. Alas, you know I am no
vaunter, I; my scars can witness, dumb although they are, that my report is just and full of truth.”
“But, soft! methinks I do digress too much.” Lucas looked with pleading eyes to the barons. “Citing my worthless
praise: O, pardon me; for when no friends are by, men praise themselves.”

“Now is my turn to speak. Behold this child.: Micheal stepped forth once more. He held a child in his arms; a dark
one that belonged to the Moor. Of this was Tamara delivered; the issue of an irreligious Moor, chief architect and
plotter of these woes.”

The assembled barons all murmured but none dare to dispute the claim.

The villain is alive in Titus' house, and as he is, to witness this is true. Micheal called for Aaron to be brought in.
The Moor on seeing his son rushed forth but was restrained by the servants.

“Now judge what cause had Titus to revenge. “These wrongs, unspeakable, past patience, or more than any living
man could bear. He was ….” Micheal held back his announcement that Titus was mad. Instead he used another
word. “Enraged to the brink of breakdown. Now you have heard the truth, what say you, Romans? Have we done
aught amiss,--show us wherein, and, from the place where you behold us now, the poor remainder of Adrian will,
hand in hand, all headlong cast us down.”


And on the ragged stones beat forth our brains and make a mutual closure of our house.” Micheal glared at the

barons. Speak, Romans, speak; and if you say we shall, hand in hand, Lucas and I will fall.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...