Friday, May 8, 2015

Titus Adrian 4.2.3

SCENE II.

4.2.3

Aaron asked that all the assembled there stepped closer to discuss.

“Then sit all of us down, and let us all consult. My son and I will have the wind of you: Keep there: now talk at
pleasure of your safety.


“How many women saw this child of his? Demetrius asked.
“Why, so, brave lords! When we join in league, I am a lamb: but if you brave me; the chafed boar, the mountain
lioness, the ocean swells not so as Aaron storms. Aaron looked to the lady servant. But say, again; how many saw
the child?

“Cornelia the midwife and myself;” The lady servant replied. “And no one else but the delivered Queen.”
The Queen, the midwife, and yourself: Two may keep counsel when the third's away: Go to the Queen, tell her this
I said. Aaron turned to the lady servant. She stood up and it was then Aaron stabbed her in the heart with the
dagger.

“What mean'st thou, Aaron? wherefore didst thou this? Demetrius jumped back in shock on seeing the lady
dropped to the flooring holding her chest.
O Lord, sir, 'tis a deed of policy.” Aaron explained himself. Shall she live to betray this guilt of ours, a long-
tongued babbling gossip? No, lords, no: And now be it known to you my full intent. Not far, one Muli lives, my
countryman; His wife but yester night was brought to bed; His child is like to her, fair as you are: Go pack with him,
and give the mother gold, and tell them both the circumstance of all; And how by this their child shall be advanced,
And be received for the leader's heir, and substituted in the place of mine, to calm this tempest whirling in the court;
And let the leader dandle him for his own. Hark ye, lords; ye see I have given her physic.”

And you must needs bestow her funeral”, Aaron looked to the dead servant. The fields are near, and you are
gallant grooms: This done, see that you take no longer days, but send the midwife presently to me. The midwife and
the nurse well made away then let the ladies tattle what they please.
“Aaron, I see thou wilt not trust the air with secrets. Chiron spoke up.

“For this care of Tamara, herself and hers are highly bound to thee.” Demetrius explained to his brother. “Help me
with the body.”

The two brothers dragged the dead body while Aaron attended to the sleeping child. He spoke to his young son on
the life they will be leading.

“Now to the Goths, as swift as swallow flies; There to dispose this treasure in mine arms, and secretly to greet the
Queen' friends. Aaron smiled. “Come on, you thick lipp'd slave, I'll bear you hence; for it is you that puts us to our
shifts: I'll make you feed on berries and on roots, and feed on curds and whey, and suck the goat, and cabin in a
cave, and bring you up to be a warrior, and command a camp.




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...