Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Titus Adrian Scene II Act 5.2.2

SCENE II.

Rome.

5.2.2

Titus reemerged from the mansion and approached before the Queen. He had dressed himself like warrior he was
but without his weapons. He was coming to perform his duty as the loyal servant for the Queen.

“Long have I been forlorn, and all for thee.” Titus bowed to the trio.”Welcome, dread Fury, to my woeful house.
Rapine and Murder, you are welcome too. How like the Queen and her sons you are!

Titus revisited his words once again.

“Well are you fitted, had you but a Moor ….” Titus held back for a while. “Could not all hell afford you such a
devil? For well I would the Queen never wags but in her company there is a Moor; and, would you represent our
Queen aright. It was convenient you had such a devil: but welcome, as you are. What shall we do?

“What wouldst thou have us do, Adrian?” Tamara asked if she was a concerned mother to her child.

Show me a murderer, I'll deal with him. Demetrius voiced out his assumed role.
Show me a villain that hath done a rape, and I am sent to be revenged on him.” Chiron did the same.

Show me a thousand that have done thee wrong, and I will be revenged on them all. Tamara reinforced her son’s
words. Titus looked to the trio and beseech his concern.

“Look round about the wicked streets of Rome.” Titus lament on the woes of the land. “And when thou find'st a man
that's like thyself.


“Good Murder, stab him; he's a murderer. Good Rapine, stab him; he's a ravisher. Titus spoke his point across. Go
thou with them; and in the leader's court, there is a Queen, attended by a Moor. Well mayst thou know her by thy
own proportion, for up and down she doth resemble thee.”

I pray thee, do on them some violent death.” Titus crushed his knuckle against his face. “They have been violent to
me and mine.”

“Well hast thou lesson'd us; this shall we do. Tamara played her role to the hilt. But would it please thee, good
Adrian, to send for Lucas, thy thrice-valiant son, who leads towards Rome a band of warlike Goths, and bid him
come and banquet at thy house.”

“When he is here, even at thy solemn feast, I will bring in the Queen and her sons. The leader himself and all thy
foes; and at thy mercy shalt they stoop and kneel, and on them shalt thou ease thy angry heart.” Tamara spoke out in
her seductive and sultry tone. “What says Adrian to this device?
Micheal, my brother! 'tis sad Titus calls. Titus was in delight and called on his brother to join him. He ran between
the mansion as he called. His brother, Micheal stormed out still in his night dress. “Go, gentle Micheal, to thy ephew
Lucas.”

Thou shalt inquire him out among the Goths:bBid him repair to me, and bring with him some of the chiefest
princes of the Goths. Bid him encamp his soldiers where they are.” Titus instructed his brother. Tell him the leader
and the Queen too feast at my house, and he shall feast with them. This do thou for my love; and so let him, as he
regards his aged father's life.”
.
This will I do, and soon return again. Micheal heard the command. He tried to look at the figures standing behind
his brother but Titus had shielded the shadows.

“Go now. And waste not my time.” Titus commanded again. Micheal nodded and took his leave back to the
mansion.

“Now will I hence about thy business, Tamara stood out from the shadows. And take my ministers along with
me.”

Tamara turned to leave, but Titus made a plea.

Nay, nay, let Rape and Murder stay with me or else I'll call my brother back again, and cleave to no revenge but
Lucas.” Titus called out. The Queen stopped in her move and looked towards him.
“How dare …:” Tamara bit her tongue. She then looked to the sons of her birth. “What say you, boys? Will you
bide with him?”

“He is mad.” Tamara whispered to his sons. She then raised her voice. Whiles I go tell my lord the leader how I
have govern'd our determined jest? Yield to his humour, smooth and speak him fair, and tarry with him till I turn
again.”

Titus smiled when he heard the Queen spoke to the so called ministers.

I know them all, though they suppose me mad,” Titus whispered to himself. And will o'erreach them in their own
devices. A pair of cursed hell-hounds and their dam!”

“Madam, depart at pleasure; leave us here.” Demetrius who was amused at the proceeding had then told his mother
to let them to their own wits.

Farewell, Adrian: Revenge now goes.” Tamara replied. “To lay a complot to betray thy foes.


I know thou dost; and, sweet Revenge, farewell. Titus bowed to the departing Queen. He then looked to the two
men who stood there in the shadows.
Tell us, old man, how shall we be employ'd?” Chiron asked.

Tut, I have work enough for you to do. Titus replied and then called out. Publius, come hither, Caius, and
Valentine!

The servants of Titus emerged from the mansion with their weapons drawn.
“What is your will, my Lord?” The servant named Paul addressed Titus. He then saw the two figures at the rear. “I
know these two. The Queen' sons, I take them as Chiron and Demetrius.”

Fie, Publius, fie! Thou art too much deceived.” Titus laughed. That one is Murder, Rape is the other's name.”

The two tried to run but the servants had them cornered. They were led to Titus.

And therefore bind them, gentle Publius.” Titus gave the command which he was once privy as their commander. 

Villains, forbear! we are the Queen' sons. Chiron cried out but he was silenced by the kick to his groin.
And therefore do we what we are commanded.” Paul told the others. “Stop close their mouths, let them not speak a
word. Take them into the cellars and there they will live their last moments.”




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...