Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 3 Part 1.31

Prologue 19

Othello looked at Brabatio seated at the head of the table. They are still waiting for the one other guest to arrive. The old member of Senate was getting irritated that the others are here, but not his loved one; the daughter he had named Desdemona. She soon arrived, and did not offer any curtsy bow to the one other who was also at the table; Lady Alicia of Venice. 

"Dear Desdemona, please greet our guests." Brabatio looked sternly at her. The daughter of his looked up and nodded to her father. She then nodded to the dark masked man and the several guests in attendance, but stopped short of the lady who sat opposite her.

"And what of Lady Alicia? She is also my guest." Brabatio was clearly then very upset. Desdemona looked to the lady and leaned over.

"He snores and farts in the night. Oh, the stench of it would even drive the rats to the cellar." Desdemona told the lady who reacted with the disbelief in her eyes.

"Ah! Shut the fake expression. I am just cautioning you not to be sway by the gold and coins in his care. They are mine by law on his death." Desdemona continued on. The lady in focus was upset and stood up to announce her departure from the table. The other guests of her entourage chose to follow suit leaving Othello, Cassio and Brabatio there with the errant young lady.

"What devil had taken your senses, Desdemona? Lady Alicia was our guest....." Brabatio spoke to his daughter.

"She would not be anymore. Neither would she spread herself for you, Father. I would not have her take over my mother's bed." Desdemona stood up and looked to the other two.

"My mother died a long time ago, but her spirits roam these walls. If my father choose to re-marry, he can do it in another house." Desdemona made her statement and left the table. Cassio got up and followed her. Othello looked to the departing couple and then back at the older man.

"I think I would be leaving now, Brabatio." Othello announced.

"No, please. Stay. I am in need of some comforting." Brabatio looked to the doorway which his daughter had taken. "I had tried to get a new mother for Desdemona, to quell her ....unruly manners, but she had desisted all my requests, and ....choices."

"I am sure Desdemona loved her mother and ...." Othello tried to justify the outburst by the lady.

"Oh, you are not aware of her antics as yet. You hardly knew her. Cassio did, as he was at his father side when they came to visit us. Desdemona is a outspoken lady like her mother, and a believer in fighting for the unprivileged or the so called innocents. She once argued with me on the plight of a beggar who came to my kitchen for food."

Othello laughed and then apologized to the older man.

"I am most amused at the lady's character. Truly a strong one, and yet ....." Othello was cut off.

"Yeah, she is. If you can command a Legion, perhaps one day you may over her." Brabatio hinted over. Othello continued his laughter.


"Me? With my dark mask, many of them shied away. I doubt I would be good for her. Cassio may be the one." Othello was seldom wrong in his judgment, but the night he was very wrong to assumed otherwise.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...