Thursday, October 30, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 3 Part 1.30

Act Three Scene 3 Part 2

The walk to the harbour was slow and entertaining for Cassio as Desdemona never stopped talking. He was initially walking in front of her but when they neared the tavern, she was beside him. They were sharing a laugh when they saw the Legatus who was with Iago a distance away.

"Hello, love. I was taking a walk with Cassio. It was a lovely day." Desdemona called out to her love. Cassio was shocked by the presence of the Legatus. Just when his status was still unknown, he does not want to see the Legatus. He turned to Desdemona.

"I have leave now. I have other works to do." Without another word, Cassio left for his own route away from his Legatus but he did not evade the Dark One' view.

"Iago, is that Cassio I saw walking with my love?" Othello asked his other Centurion. Iago looked over and then pretended to be unsure. He strained his face expression and then shook his head.

"It looked like him, but with the uniform, he could be any Centurion. I doubt if its Cassio, he would avoid you. He was your friend." Iago replied. He picked his last words to test the Legatus.

"Yes, he may be Cassio, but as my friend, he would not missed me. Unless...." Othello trailed his words.

"Unlikely, Legatus. Cassio, myself and you have been friends for too long to let last night event stand between us." Iago told Othello. He felt like the advocate of the God of Liars, double meaning to his word.

"Desdemona, I am surprise to see you." Othello looked to the rear of her. "Who is that?"

"A Centurion who came to me and asked for advise on his drunken manner last night. He felt bad, but felt more sad that he was misjudged on his mis-conduct. A slap on the hand would had suffice but he was sent to be demoted." Desdemona told him. She did her speech, but Othello was not keen.

"So that was Cassio, I saw just now. Why did he not see me?" Othello was irritated.

"Yes, Cassio it was.He came to me for my advise. So tell me, the Legatus that command the Centurion, are you forgiving?" Othello turned to Iago.

"Go and I would join you later." Othello told the other but Desdemona wanted to push the issue.

"Othello..." Desdemona called out to him but Othello had raised his hands. She repeated again, but she was stopped by the her love.

"Not now, Desdemona. I need to settle something first." Othello told her. "Maybe tonight but not now."

"Tonight? Why not earlier?" Desdemona asked. "Noon meal?"

"No, I said tonight." Othello told her but Desdemona was insistent. 

"Othello, are you listening?" Desdemona shouted. "I am you love. I have given you my vows to be your love. You have given yours to be with me. With that we are to share. I was sharing your work. I had listened when you did not. I had heard him well, he told me his errors, and I found it the need to forgive. Did you?"

"Desdemona, I told you not now..." Othello was in rage. He was humiliated by her.

"Othello, perhaps you let me handle it." Iago intervened, but he was told to back off.

"Is that it? Cassio loved you. He served with you long. How you no decency to speal to him?" Desdemona pushed on.

"What is it that you are wanting me to listen to him? He is not your love. He is my legionnaire." Othello replied in anger. "Why must we be having this discussion? I am confused on this."

"Because its our first lively discussion but you are shutting me out." Desdemona told him. "Its could be first or our last."

Othello shook his head. He was not sure how did he managed to here. He reached out with his hands but she turned away. She walked on back to the tavern alone.


"Iago, get me Cassio. I need to talk to him." Othello told him. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...