Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Dark Queen of White 1.12

12.

Gareth shook his head when asked by Clare as he then called her. She had been insistence on knowing what happened to him but he could not recall much. It was like waking up from a dream and then has no recollection of it.

"There were glimpses of my village, and then....nothing." Gareth told her. "I could not remember much."

Clare looked at him. She knew he was confused and whatever happened in there had affected him. She had him brought to the house and left there to rest. Unknown to her, Michael had run off to fetch the old wolf in the forest. The old wolf arrived not in the form of the creature but of Man. The figure that appeared at the doorway of the house was a young man dressed in the leather of the forest creatures and had a head piece with the wolf emblem.

"Master of the Wolf." Clare addressed the master who had stepped in. He did not acknowledge her, but approached Gareth.

"You been bewitched. You were cursed by her, who is her kins." The master told Gareth.

"You meant Lady Morgana. My own grandmother. The witch." Clare could not hold herself back. "I would have her hunted and ....removed."

"No, my child." The master replied. "Your fate and hers are interlinked. Your existence is an extension of hers'."

Clare looked at the Master. He then continued on.

"When she dies, her evil passed to you." That was all the Master said and then he looked back at Gareth. He leaned over and whispered to his ears.

"So are yours." The Master told Gareth. "You are her anchor to the goodness in her. If you are removed, she would be her other self. Keep this to yourself."

With that the Master walked out of the house and disappeared into the forest. Clare approached Gareth and asked him.

"What did the Master told you?"

"He told me to protect you. At all times."

"That's it?" Clare asked back. "He must have spoken more."

"Nay, he did not." Gareth replied back. "I am asked to protect you. With my life if need be. I would taste and walked before you."

Clare to him and smiled.

"Walk with me, never in front or behind me." Clare leaned over and kissed him. "I think I love you."

Gareth smiled. He never told her of love, and wondered how she knew what love was but she was ecstatic in her moves. Soon he pulled himself from her arms and got up from the bedding. He felt every ache in his body; scratches from her nails, and the intense grips from her hands. He reached for his clothes and hastily put them on. He walked to the table to get a drink and passed by the window. He looked out and saw the wolf hunched outside on the porch. He opened the door and walked out. The wolf raised it head and then growled.

"Michael, for whatever it means to you, I do love her. Well, I think I do. And she does of me." Gareth told the wolf. The wolf growled back at Gareth.

It was then; Clare appeared at the doorway, naked and springing on her toes.

"Well, he isn’t going to tell Michael." Clare told him while holding her arms out. "I am also feeling cold. Come on back, Gareth of Steinheim."

Gareth looked back at the wolf. Damned, they all looked alike.


The sacrifice


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...