Monday, June 3, 2013

1969: A tribute to Woodstocks


Mrs Dimple walked past that door right up to my counter. She slammed her hands on the counter top and blew out her exasperation towards me.

 "Mary, I have never been so ....degraded in my life." The older lady reached for the small towel I left on the side of the counter to wipe off any dust or mess. She dabbled the cloth over her forehead and continued.

"The young man walked up to me and shook his pelvis at me, like I was some wanton lady in heat." Her face was then flushed red and I thought that a drink would be appropriate for her. "Its this new generation that morality issues are replaced with evil gestures."

"Mrs Dimple, I am sure the young man was just imitating some walks he learned from the musicians that are in town." I placed the glass of water in front of Mrs Dimple. "You do recalled we are having this music festival in town?"

"I wished Arthur was still around. He would had taken that young man to a duel for my honor...." Mrs Dimple poor husband; God rest his soul, died in Korean War. I always remembered that elderly man in the smart uniform when he re-enlisted in the army. They allowed him in as he was a fine officer. At our town of Bethel, New York, in between his stint for the army, he was our very own Police Officer. He used to drive in that charismatic looking car; 1948 Plymouth with the white top and roof light emblazing the word POLICE.

"I am sure Arthur would and if he was alive today, he may even stepped out with his banjo to join those musicians." Arthur was a ardent fan of the Country Gentlemen; a quartet who played bluegrass music. I stood there and hummed to one of their hits.

I was driving down a lonely road on a dark and stormy night
When a little girl by the road side showed up in my headlights
I stopped and she got in the back and in a shaky tone
She said My name is Mary and please won't you take me home

Mrs Dimple caught onto my chords and added in the next line.

She must have been so frightened all alone there in the night
There was something strange about her cause her face was deathly white
She sat so pale and quiet in the back seat all alone
I never will forget the night that I took Mary home

( Lyrics from Bringing Mary Home by Joe Kingston and Chaw Monk, also made popular by the Country Gentlemen. )

 

We both laughed and then realized there was someone else in the store. It was four gentlemen in dark jackets; three of them had on mustache and ear covered long hairs. They went straight to the cold freezer and grabbed some beers. It was Mrs Dimple and her righteous attitude who spoke to them in her flat tone.

"Them drinks needed payment here, boys." I was embarrassed by her outright comments but the boys took in their stride. Or was it the strut as they approached the counter.

"Yes, ma'am. We are coming to pay for the drinks." The one who spoke had on glasses and smiled at Mrs Dimple. I punched in the sales and returned their change. I knew they were from outside of Bethel but I had to asked.

"You boys playing any music." I could had sworn Mrs Dimple frowned at me asking these young men. I may be in my thirties but I still loved the current trend of music.

"Yes, ma'am. We are playing late tonight. After..." The guy in the glasses paused to check with his intinery on the card. "Grateful Dead'." He then paused and looked us. "You heard of our music; the Creedence Clearwater Revival?"

They went into an acapella version of their hits; Susie Q.

Oh Susie Q,
Oh Susie Q,
Oh Susie Q, baby I love you, Susie Q.

I like the way you walk,
I like the way you talk,
I like the way you walk, I like the way you talk, Susie Q.

( Lyrics from Susie Q by Creedence Clearwater Revival. )

The quartet left by the front door as they swayed their bodies to the words. It was a wonderful feeling to be part of that festival; with all the musicians and fans alike having stopped by for their purchases. Mrs Dimple looked at me and smiled.

"Mary, you had not smiled like that since John passed on." I blushed at Mrs Dimple comment. Its true that I had lost John to the war in Nam but two years of solitude was coming to an end. I think I would crack that period of loneliness with some jazzy and trend group tonight.

And guess what, he just walked. A man with a straight face that no expression can be drawn from his look, walked straight to the counter. He came bearing flowers and the broke into a smile.

"The name is Dylan. John Dylan." The expression of his would swayed some woman one day but that night he was mine. That was no JD that would stand on stages and wooed many ladies. Mine was just a simple banker with an expanding waist but he held some good properties around the town. Heck, as far as he was concerned, I was the prime property he owned since 1969.

"John, did you see my picture of Woodstock 1969? The one I took with Jimi Hendrix."

"I stored it away. I had the one with Tom Cruise there now. He's more with the current trend." John never appreciated the 60's like I did.
 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...