Wednesday, June 19, 2013

221B when I visited it then


I walked up to the door and knocked on it. I adjusted my bow tie and made sure my coat lapels are in place when the door was opened. I placed the flowers in front of me, and greeted her.

"Good day to you, Mrs Hudson." I beamed up my charming smile at the lady who was younger than me, but not far in the range of the decades apart. She saw me holding the flowers and smiled sheepishly. She was wearing her usual working dress with the apron around her neck. That day was a Thursday; the day she had to cleaned the rooms upstairs.

"Obadiah....Sir." She corrected herself upon having remembered her manners. We have met several times, but the visits are spaced out. Nevertheless, the gifts bearing had changed from a curtsy bow to the then roses which matched her cheeks colors.

"May I come in, Mrs Hudson?" I had place one foot on the doorway; rude it may be but I was really eager then to get out of the street. "If I may?"

"Yes, of course." Martha Hudson stepped aside for me to come in. She had read my mind, and gossips were her fear from the nosy neighbors servants. I removed my bowler hat and placed it on the rack, and proceeded to the kitchen. Martha's domain was the kitchen and the smell of the morning tea was so inviting then. I been here like eight visits and I must admit, its a splendid home to stay in.

"Please sit. Would like a cup of tea?" Martha offered me her hospitality. I took the seat which was at the table, facing to the back door. There on it, was a small mirror which I could looked at whoever was at the front door. She served me the tea and then we heard the thundering steps of the upstairs occupants coming down.

"Glory be, Mr Holmes. I hoped you would not wake the rats up with your steps." Martha spoke to her tenants while stepping out to shut the door on them. I could make out the two gentlemen in their overcoats ignoring the lady as they rushed out. Martha soon joined me, at the table and commented.

"That man is rude and at times, I wondered why I bear with him." She sighed, but my assuring smile made her more comfortable. "I must apologies. Its just one of those mornings."

"Martha", I paused to read her response to myself calling her by the maiden name. "I am sure Mr Holmes being who and what his reputation may be, have his reasons for the lapse of courtesy."

Martha smiled and offered to poured me more tea but my cup was not even drunk then. She apologized again, and that was the time I reached over to pat her hand. I felt that the personal touch would assured her of my sincere intentions.

"Martha, don't be. I am your ....friend." I gently placed my hand over hers. "Its a lovely morning and perhaps if I may, please allowed me to helped you clean the upstairs."

"Oh, no....Obadiah." Martha pulled back her hand in embarrassment. "That's a house keeper's work. Surely a gentleman like yourself should not be doing it."

I stood up from my chair, and removed my coat. I brushed back my hair at the top of my head and declared to her.

"I am Obadiah Morin. Nothing that would be considered as below my stature to performed. I have raised some rascals from young, although they were not my own." It was some misfits of the London city streets that I took to my care, as mentioned by myself to her before. "A flock of sheep which roamed my farm and the ...."

"Alright, dear Sir. You may assist." Martha Hudson was already convinced on my so named housekeeping skills. "I must remind..."

"And you have before, Mr Holmes does not like his things moved. Only cleaned them and placed them where I got it." With that, both of us trooped up the stairs to the living quarters of the infamous Sherlock Holmes. I had cleaned his desks, waste, and also once cleaned his violin of those nasty dirt. Martha did cautioned me to take extra care when I touched that infernal tool as she had termed it. She claimed it brought in the lost souls to the house whenever he plays it. I am most careful with my cleaning and every thing was carefully placed back in the proper places, as Mr Holmes would had preferred.

"He's such a slob, this man." I commented to Martha, who broke up into laughter.

"But he pays well. So much I cared about my tenants. I once had that miserable tenant who still owes me ten shillings." I knew that tale; she would always remind me of it. Sadly, my dear Martha, despite being a good housekeeper, you were not a good observer of human characters. Like myself for a good example, a gentleman I may had portrayed, with the flowers and manners, but if she ever knew the real me; I am sure she would be rushing down to the streets calling for the bobbies in blue. Alas, I am the evil incarnate Doctor Moriarty, the underworld King and adversary to her good paying tenant. I am here in my guise as the humble shepherd was to understand my foe, the legendary Holmes. Unlike him, I much preferred the humble unknown persona so that the world may had heard of my name, but never had they identified the person. At that time, I was the humble companion of Martha Hudson, widower and trusted housekeeper of Mr. Holmes; seen only from the back profile and never introduced.

Alas, a humble person sometimes can't resist a bit of the flirt.

"Mr.Morin!" She exclaimed in shock and partly amused when I bumped into her back.

"I am so sorry, Martha. I did not noticed that you were standing there. Its my sight, they are failing me with the age." I smiled at her. I was sure she had noticed that besides that, my other anatomies are still hardy for the grueling tasks.

"Would you be staying on for lunch? Mr Holmes and Doctor Watson may be gone for the whole day." I never said no to an invitation. As long as they are eager.

"I'll be delighted. Do you like honey on toast?"

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...