Monday, June 17, 2013

Oz: a remake of the tale 1.9


8. The Deadly Poppies

The next day we continued on the yellow brick road, and this time the sky was getting all bright red. I soon myself sweating away inside my body suit, and it was getting uncomfortable. I can see Scarecrow having lost her jacket the previous incident, now walking briskly in her loose half tunic. I ran up to her and asked if she has anything I can change into. Scarecrow reached into the bag of hers and withdrew a long tunic. I looked at it and frown.

"Scarecrow, if I wore that I would end up like my Aunt Em." I mimicked my Aunt Em walking in the kitchen dressed in her four by five sack cloth she taken for a dress.

"Okay, how about this?" The outfit looks like it came from some slave girl from the dry world of Tattonine. Its a halter and a set of pantaloon pants. I won't mind but the material looked like its made from silk and its look through. I doubt I am ready to be the center piece of every Munchkins.

"Do you have any thing else I can be more covered?" The next outfit looked more to my preference; a pant suit in light orange shade which only reached to above my knee. It also comes with a wide brimmed hat that covers my face from the bright red sky.

"That would do." I ran to the yellow flower bed alongside the yellow road. I changed into my new clothes and falling twice trying to pull it off the red boots which won't come off. Every time, I fall on the flowers, I find a set of fluffy flowers would float to the sky. Its beautiful as the flowers with the yellow shades floated up to the sky. Soon I had to forego my playing antics among the flowers and rejoin my companions.

I stepped out to the yellow brick road but there was no one there.
 
"Scarecrow?" I shouted.

"Droid?" I holler louder.

"Toto?" I spoke out meekly.

No one answered me. I am all alone on the yellow brick road.

Then it hit me that this was not the same yellow brick road. It has no bricks on it but its timber laid. It also painted garish dark brown. I looked out to the side of the brown road and noticed I am now on a jetty; a very long jetty.

No, it can't be.

I was on a yellow brick road. Now I am not. I am out ....... At the sea on a long jetty. Its impossible. I must be dreaming.

Yes, I was. I was dreaming.

The splash of water hit my face and soaked my pant suit.

"Darned it!" But I am still here, and there is a long serpent swimming alongside the jetty. Its not like any serpent but a its body is made up of alphabet from A to Z. The A was inverted to a horizontal direction with the bottom stroke the gap for its jaw. That's a big jaw for a serpent.

I wanted to run but the choice was where. I could run back which was the assumed direction I came from, or forward which I was to take on. I made my decision; I ran forward.

I saw a figure in front. No, its three figure in front.

They are hideous in look. They looked like some mis-shapen being with a large head and an elongated body that trail to the shape of a tail.

Serpents again. I hate serpents. They are mostly deadly.

I opened up my vocal to scream at them.

"Get out of my way." I shouted out loud and find the vocal of mine sent the three crashing to the back at some distance. My vocal power are back. I can scream again.

I ran the distance, running passed them and I never looked back. I saw from the side of my eyes, the large alphabet serpent is swimming alongside the jetty. Its pacing my run and almost parallel now. It moved its gaping jaw towards the jetty.

I shouted out to the serpent, and the vocal sonic boomed out across to the serpent. It tore off the jaw of the serpent from the A to F and then out at the S tearing a long gash to U before it dropped to a whimper at Z.

I tripped and fell forward on the deck.

"Darned!" I shouted out. I should not had done that. My vocal sonic tore the timber pieces laid on the deck for over a twenty meters. I am left without a path to run across.

I cut off my own path.

I am trapped now.

Then I heard the commotion behind me. I turned back to see and saw the three hideous creatures are approaching me. There is no time to sound remorse; it time to kick some butts. I took up my fighting stance and await them. They are coming up now.

Ten meters.

Five meters.

I strike out with a side kick at the center one.

I did not hit anything. I am just kicking at nothing.

I pulled back my leg and noticed I am no more on a jetty, but standing on the sea.

I am on the sea now.

Then I saw streaming towards me with a gaping jaw was the sea serpent, and its swimming towards me. I screamed out loud but there was no sonic boom; only my vocals was there.

"No, it can't be. I am going to die." I cried out. I closed my eyes to wait for the impending doom.

"No, Dorothy. You are going to be fine." I opened my eyes and find myself looking up at Scarecrow.

"Dorothy, you were caught up in the poppy field." Scarecrow offered me a drink which I gladly took. It tasted bitter and then sweet.

"Its an elixir from the leaves of the poppy plant. It would cleared your head." Scarecrow gave me more to drink. "You are lucky we found you. If you had stayed in there longer, you would died or gone mad."

I sat up and noticed I am still nude except for my red boots. I looked around me and I can see the droid looking to the opposite direction. Its being modest or is it standing guard. I can't find the cat anywhere.

"The cat?"

"That tomboy; I shooed him off." That sure placed the blush on my face. Toto came up me and licked at my face. That's one girl I can relate to.

"Can I have my clothes? Sunbathing in the nude ain't in my agenda." I told Scarecrow.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...