Monday, December 17, 2012

The Pelican and The Vulture ( Disney Style )

Hakuna matata! What a wonderful phrase!
Hakuna matata! Ain't no passin? Craze.
It means no worries for the rest of your days.
It's our problem-free philosophy."

"Would some bird shut him up?" Paul the vulture perching on the cactus shriek out. It was John singing then. He is always singing and if not then he is composing new beats with his round steel rimmed frame perched on his beak.

"Why can't I sing? I am happy." John replied back.

"Osh Gosh! We are in a middle of a desert and he thinks we should be happy." That was George pecking away at the pebbles. He uses a pair of sticks to hit at them. He is always collecting pebbles. George is one vulture who needs a feather trim as its all over his head and beck.

"Hey guys, I think I found a new corpse here." That was Ringo who came flapping in to perched on the nearby cactus plant. "So anything new happened yet?"

"Yup, you did arrived." Grouchy Paul was it again; becking at the rest. "So where is the corpse?"

"Oh, I dropped it on the way here. I had an itch in my beck so I dropped it." Ringo laughed at his own joke.

Can you feel the love tonight
The peace the evening brings
The world for once
In perfect harmony
With all its living things

"Would someone shut him up?" Paul the vulture flapped his wings. "I am the lead singer, so he better keep his beck down."

"Oh, Paul. Let it be. He is in love. He met this gal and she is pretty." George spoke up from his pebbles picking. George went over to John' cactus. He point to the poster on John' cactus stem. It showed a pelican with its wings flapped open.

"Osg Gosh! She is a beau." George leaned over to see more clearly. But John snapped his wings at the other vulture.

"Get your own. This one is mine. More to it, She is coming over today." John snatched his poster up and tucked in under his wings.
Then he began crooning.

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming

"Bah, I can't stand vultures in love. They would bore you to death with it." Paul lament on the singing as he was envy of John. Then the Pelican came and landed on the next available cactus.

"Hello Fab Birdies. I am looking for the vulture named John. Do you know where I can fly with him?" The Pelican is like any with the beak droopy and the smiling face. "I brought him a fish. Its dead now, being away from the water for too long."

The voice can be heard in the background.

Someday I'll find my love
Someone to call my own
And I know at the moment we meet
my heart will start skipping the beats

"Oh, you are John. I was expecting a more scrawny looking vulture." She dropped the fish for him. "I hoped you like dead fish."

"No, I actually don't. I am off seafood diet. I much prefer rattle snakes or scorpions." John was cold to his guest.
Ringo flew down to George and asked him on John.

"What's with John? Did he lose a beck or something?"

"I dunno. Could it be, he was expecting to meet someone else." George replied and then rushed off to grab the fish when he saw Paul swooping for it. Then Paul told them.

"He is not. He just being his usual aloof character." Paul pulled at the fish and it tore into half. "Yuck, I hate fish. They have bones."
Meanwhile the Pelican flew towards the cactus which John was on. She then sang these words to him.

You think I'm just an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places; I guess it must be so
But still I cannot see, if the savage one is me
How can there be so much that you don't know?
You don't know...

John had joined in and then he stopped.

"It was a silly song. So are you here long? I mean this is the desert and the sea in on yonder." John raised his beck to show the sea as over the twenty five miles of ridges.

"Nope, I was just passing by." The Pelican knows when she is not wanted. She flapped her wings and was about to take off when John spoke up.

"I am sorry, Pelican. When we swap tales on the air, I thought you were a vulture. And you now turned out to be a Pelican, and that is hard to stomach." John placed his head down. "I am sorry."

"Don't be. It was my fault. I like your singing and I wanted to meet you. So I imitate as a vulture named Pelican. I guess we are no match huh?" Pelican sighed. Then she sang these lines.

Tale as old as time
True as it can be
Barely even friends
Then somebody bends
Unexpectedly
Just a little change
Small to say the least
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared
Beauty and the Beast
John added in these lines.
Ever just the same
Ever a surprise
Ever as before
Ever just as sure
As the sun will rise
The others all chorus in with John.
Ever just the same
Ever a surprise
Ever as before
Ever just as sure
As the sun will rise

They all laughed then including Pelican. Then the sea bound bird told them a horrifying event. The ice have melted and the sea is rising. In fact the shore line is only a mile away.

"We could meet more often if that is okay with you." The Pelican spoke out softly to John. He shrieked out and almost fell from his perch. "I could bring you the dead fishes."

I guess the next few lines answered her question.

A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you're fast asleep
In dreams you lose your heartaches
Whatever you wish for, you keep
Have faith in your dreams and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling through
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
the dream that you wish will come true

The desert was never the same after that day.

( Happy Thanksgiving.... )

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...