Friday, December 23, 2011

Elite 3 Part 3

48 hours into K-Day

0001hrs
The Main Central Police Station got a directive to stop all traffic to the island of Genoe immediately. All personnel are recalled for duty and they are to be posted at all the exit points to block anyone going to the island. The Coast Guards have been advised to patrol outside the island perimeters and prevent any boats from coming out of the island. A fleet of medical personnels is being assembled at the airport for flights by helicopter to the island, but of the total numbers expected only half turned up. The others are not in communication or refused to go.
An international flight just landed and there is a distraught lady who just arrived. She is rushing through the immigration and hopped into a taxi for the jetty.
Across the sea, two men are loading up their boat for a trip to home. They are also looking distressed and the limping one threw away his crutch when he boarded the boat.
On the island, there is a blanket ban on any disclosure and all queries are directed to the Governor to answer.
The price of the rare metals are increasing in the open market listing and its going to be acute shortage soon. This is causing alarms to the many companies involved in high end research and also niche manufacturers who needs these exclusive metals to continue production.
But three hundred seventy nine thousand and five hundred eighty five people still reside on the island. And most of them are sleeping. But one man still walks the street; he is a homeless and he carries a placard on his chest which says; ‘the end is nigh’.

0159hrs
‘Do I sound like the Medical Director? Why call me? Its his area of concern, not mine.’ The Commissioner of Police slides the handset off on his portable. Damn these people who wakes me up at this hour. I am the Commissioner of Police and an epidemic is not my area of jurisdiction.
The portable phone rang again.
‘I told you I am the Commissioner.... Oh, hello Marjorie. I am still stuck in the office. You go on sleeping and worry nothing. I will be back when I complete my reports........ Uh...... Uh......... You stop listening to your sister from the hospital. No need to panic on some silly rumors. ....... I will check it out. So go back to sleep. Bye.’ Damned women never knows when to sleep or wake up.
The portable phone rang again.
‘I told you.... Sorry, Governor........Is it? I will do the needed. Sleep tight, Sir.’
Darned it now, I am back on duty. ‘Okay, guys. Poker night is over. I got work to do. And so all of you. Lieutenant, you get your butt to the hospital and give me a first hand report on what is happening there. Sargeant, rouse up all the personnel; we got an epidemic outbreak. And Jimmy, please don’t take my money from the table. They are my hard earned money......... and who took ma’ shoes?’
Across the city at that time, a young man has managed to clear the fencing on the perimeter of the Medical Building. He is on his way out, and he checked on his portable camcorder if it's still there. He heard shouts from across inside the perimeter but he is not anxious about them. He saw his ride coming and its a scooter. Good ol’Jenny to be on time with my trusted scooter. She rode up to him and offered to move to the rear seat. But he stopped her and took out the camcorder.
‘Hold that, while I ride.’ The young man mounted his scooter and moved into gear, It was then the shot came.
‘Aarghh! I am hit.’ He shrieked out in pain, but he rode off on the scooter, with Jenny is holding onto him tightly. She did not see the bullet wound in the side of the young man’s chest. Her mind is on the promotion for him when he hands over the recording to the media.
The young man made it to the Media Room before he collapsed from lack of blood. The editorial team grabbed hold of him to the company van and drive him back to the hospital, but he died on the way there. His live recording on the camcorder was viewed by the Editor then, and it was panic then in the Media Room.
‘Get Tim Curry. We are going live in one hour. This is the news to make us famous.’

0408hrs
I knocked on the door and waited for the door to open. At this hour, most people are still sleeping so it takes time to wake up and then decide whether to open the door. The final push is the process to walk to the door and actually opened it. In this case, it was opened by remote , and I walked into a dark hall. The door closed behind me and I can hear the extra door sliding across that closed door. It was only then the light came on.
‘Welcome back, Kingfisher’. I looked at Peter; my trusted weapon supplier. Peters is away for new supplies. Peter told me he’s got a limited stock but I am free to peruse. I guess I have to grab what I can.
Half an hour later, I had my selection done.
A MP7A1 ( HK Personal Defense Weapon Design ) with night light and several clips of extended 4.6x300mm with brass jacket 40 rounds ammo. One M416 or HK416 with the 100 rounds Beta C-Mag and M320 Grenade Launcher. One HK P30 Pistol with 9mm 15 round clip and one old colt Cobra .38 Special with six rounds. Peter used to carry it with him before he switched to P30; he gave both to me.
I got an old Mauser Karbiner 98K with five round stripper clip. I got three more clips for it.  
Peter threw in a couple more grenades for free including flash and fragments. And a couple of flares that nobody wants.
He even offered me an SUV he claims was found outside their place and no one came to ask for it. I am not one to refuse an offer when it's free. I loaded with everything and drove out to the early morning skies.
I picked up Marius near the jetty. He was busy too.

0400hrs
I told Marcel to drop me at the Outdoor Activity Shop, where I wanted to go pick up some scuba gears. I managed to pick the locks and was in. There was no burglar alarm installed so all was easy to handle. I went through the shop and find the owner has moved from scuba diving to now mountain climbing and adventure trails. The only scuba tool I could find was a set of flippers and a spear gun with three spare arrows. I got those and a large back packer bag, which I stuff with ropes and some climbing gear, including a pair of hand picks. I guess our picking is not very good this time but we will improvise as we go along.
Marcel was late as I waited there in the shadow of the shop. I threw the gear in and got in with him. We drove off for his old hideout, the house where we last stayed.
We parked outside at 0530hrs.

0542hrs
I was sleeping next to the couch when I heard the back door open. I got up slowly and move towards the kitchen area. I was barefooted but I am carrying a wooden baseball bat, and I know how to swing one. I stood by the door side and watched the shadow of the person walking in. When I saw the silhoutte moving pass the door I swung the bat hard towards it. I came in contact with a soft padding and then saw the gun barrel in my face.
‘Next time, swing higher and go for the face’. It was Marcel and he is holding a knapsack in front of his chest, which my bat hit on. He lowered the gun and I hugged him crying out. I saw from behind was my other brother, Marius. I pulled myself from Marcel and went for Marius.
‘They took ma’ baby. Alicia was kidnapped yesterday, and we have 48 hours to find her or they will kill her’.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...