Sunday, April 2, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 4 Sub Scene 1

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Four

Sub Scene One

A Brutus act

Polonius on his dismissal rushed to see the Madam. He entered the personal chamber of the other without any invitation. The personal chamber of the Madam was more like a place to change her clothes and performed her toiletries needs. It was very personal to the madam that trusted female servants were allowed, and not even the King himself, or his successor the Emperor.

Hamlet had been there for a child below the year of five, his presence was tolerable. He had not been there since.

“Polonius, do you have no shame on you now at your older age?” Gertrude was buttoning her blouse after taking a bath, feeling the filth of the play produced by her son. “This is my per chamber.”

Gertrude recalled the anger on Claudius. The Emperor had taken refuge in the main chamber where he shared his sleep with Gertrude, and thus was still fuming with rage at the subtle words during the play.

“Why does he not see me in the eyes, and speak his accusations instead of a play seen by all.” Claudius had spoken to Gertrude. “I have made amends to bring him to my side as son yet he stabs me like …Shylock demand of the heart. God, have I done wrong to take what was mine? I held no ill feelings toward him.”

“Alas, Gertrude. For our sake sort him out. He is…” Claudius clamped his last word.

“Madness, you were too shy. It may be and be hopeful, it was not from your family side.” Gertrude lashed out. “I will speak to him…. Alone and as a mother.”

Then it was arranged.

“I do apologize, Madam. I was in …” Polonius bowed his head. “I was …I came here in your interest,” Polonius said.

“My tete-a-tete, yes? Claudius is upset.” Gertrude recalled that she asked Hamlet to see her there. “Speak your piece, Great Chamberlain.”

“Who knows what you had seen by those hidden holes.” Gertrude knew on the hidden panels in the walls.

“Madam! I can….” Polonius felt disgusted at being accused.

“Speak your mind, and be on your way. Is Hamlet coming or not?” Gertrude was waiting on her request.

“He will come straight. Look you lay home to him.” Polonius found his voice back. “Tell him his pranks have been too broad to bear with and that your Grace hath screened and stood between much heat and him.”

“All mothers ever did, while father frets with their wine.”

“I’ll silence me even here. Pray you, be round with him.” Polonius added. “Right here.”

Polonius took to conceal behind the drapes of the window curtains. Gertrude was to say naught but the steps of Hamler were at the doorway.

“Are you decent, Mother?” Hamlet stood there.

“You are kind, my son,” Gertrude replied. “You may come in. Let me see you once more. You have grown well.”

“Where is Claudius? Has he felt offended?” Hamlet looked around. His right hand is on the dagger at his waist belt.

“Have you forgotten me?” Gertrude looked to Hamlet. A mother’s stare will melt any of her children’s hearts.

“No, by the rood, not so. You are the Madam, your husband’s ‘brother in kinship’ wife, and, would it were not so you are my mother.”

“Nay, then I’ll set those to you that can speak,” Gertrude said to Hamlet.

“Come, come, and sit you down; you shall not budge. You go not till I set you up a glass where you may see the inmost part of you.” Hamlet offered his mother a glass of wine. She took it and sat down by her dressing table.

“What wilt thou do?” Gertrude motioned to the dagger held by Hamlet. “Thou wilt not murder me?”

“Help, ho!” Gertrude cried out in jest but she did sound like she was in trouble. That was echoed by the one behind the curtain.

“Who lurks in the dark?” Hamlet reacted. “How now, a rat? Does he lurk, unlike other emperors? Sincerely, not of him who held deceit in his ascension”

Hamler assumed whoever had remained hidden was Claudius.

“Rats are to be killed on sight or heard.” Hamlet drew the dagger to thurst at whoever was behind the curtain. “Dead for a ducat, dead.”

Polonius felt the dagger thrust into his heart. He fell to his knees, dragging the curtain drapes, while his last words were; “I am slain.”

“Not the rat I was expecting, but a fatter one; mice he has by the litter.” Hamlet saw whom he slain and stepped back while his mother attended to the fallen figure.

“O me, what hast thou has done,” Gertrude rushed toward the dead Great Chamberlain. She sat down to cradle his head. “He held no breath. He is dead.”

“Nay, I know not.” Hamlet reacted to the kill.  “Was it the Emperor?”

Hamlet had wished it was.

“O, what a rash and bloody deed are this!” Gertrude cradled the dead man in her lap.

“A bloody deed—almost as bad, good mother, as killing a king and marry with his brother.” Hamlet held not back his words toward his mother.

“As kill a king?” Gertrude was confused.

“Ay, lady, it was my word,” Hamlet replied and then looked at the dead man. “Thou wretched, rash, intruding fool, farewell.”

“I took thee for thy better,” Hamlet said of Polonius as deserving the death he had been given. “Take thy fortune. Thou findest to be too busy is some danger.”

“Too busy? He is the Great Chamberlain. It’s his task to know all and act on it. He was no busybody, but a well-cared old man for Norway.”

“Mother, leave wringing of your hands.” Hamlet reached out his hands to his mother. “Peace, sit you down, and let me wring your heart; for so I shall if it be made of penetrable stuff; if damnèd custom has not brazed it so That it be proof and bulwark against sense.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...