Monday, April 10, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 4 Scene 3 Sub Scene 2

 Act Four

Act Four Scene Three

Sub Scene Two

Rise! The judges are in.

Hamlet ran in as if he was the age five. He ran round the assembled, making faces at the leaders, and finally stood before Claudius.

“Nice clothes you have on, my Majesty.” Hamlet pranced around the hall. “I am sure they are new.”

Hamlet was mocking the other.

“Now, Hamlet, where’s Polonius?” Claudius grew tired of the younger man. “His family is asking.”

“At supper, the last supper perhaps,” Hamlet replied and saw a seat vacant at the table occupied by the leaders.

“Is this taken or has Judas left?” Hamlet took the seat.  

“At supper where?” Claudius asked.

“I know not where Judas went. But the old man, he is not where he eats, but where he is eaten.” Hamlet acted as though he was eaten by others. His hands clutched his throat as if he was short of air. “A certain convocation of politic worms are e’en at him.”

“All of you are worms to your emperor for diet. We are the fattening creatures what else to fat us; we fat ourselves the maggots. Behold the fishmonger, he ate the fish that ate the King.” In Hamlet’s view, all of them ate the maggots that fed on dead flesh.

“One eats the maggots and the other eats maggot eater. Truly two dishes, but serve only the hunger of the eaten. A revolting cycle of the reality here.” Hamlet sighed. “That’s the end.”

“What does he means?” One of the leaders asked/

“That we are living off the death of others. He implies we are cannibals in my view. The fishes fed on the dead flesh, and we on the fishes soon after.” Another took to answer with sarcasm.

“Are we?” The one asking was baffled. “I had fish every Monday and Thursday. I feel sick now.”

“I never throw them into the sea. I burned them all. No trace back to me.” The sarcastic reply smiled. “I did it my way.”

“Did someone say barbecue? I liked that.” Another leader with senile age asked. “Are we having any soon”

“Only fish.” The sarcastic one added. “Dead fish.”

“Where is Polonius?” Claudius roared out. His patience at tethers.

“In heaven. I think. Send thither to see. If your messenger finds him not there, seek him i’ th’ other place yourself….. bring your coat, it may be hellish cold there. But if indeed, you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby. Or the chambers, let your nose lead.”

“Go, seek him there,” Claudius called to the servants.

“Where, my lord? We have lots of …”The servant who attended asked.

“He will stay till you come. He is after all dead.” Hamlet looked to the servant. “See not with sight, smell with thy nose, and if the stench reaches you first, then take a mint to ease the throat.”

“Go! Go now!” Claudius called the servant.

“Hamlet,” Claudius held not his claws. “This deed, for thine especial safety.”

Claudius looked to Gertrude but she wept her tears.

“Which we do tender, as we dearly grieve for that which thou hast has done, must send thee hence with fiery quickness. Therefore prepare thyself.” Claudius looked to the leaders. “It must be done. All is ready. The ship is ready, and the wind at help, the associates to tend, and everything is bent ….”

“For England?” Hamlet cut in.

“Ay, Hamlet. Do you…”

“Tally Ho, I am good.” Hamlet laughed. “They serve fish with chips. I will take the chips only.”

“So is it, if thou knewest our purposes?” Claudius asked.

“I see a cherub that sees them.” Hamlet referred to an Angel that oversees him. “But come, for England I am fair.”

“Farewell, dear mother.” Hamlet stood up and bowed to the mother.

“Thy loving father, Hamlet?” Claudius asked.

“My mother wedded once more. Yes, Father and mother are man and wife.  Man and wife are one flesh, and so, is my mother.— is my father.” Hamlet smiled. “Come, for England.” 

Hamlet left the hall, hardly bothering to listen to the mutterings of the leaders citing words like madness, and complicity in his life.

“Follow him at foot; tempt him with speed aboard.” Claudius looked to Rosencrantz. “Delay it not. I’ll have him hence tonight.”

“So soon? I have not packed.” Rosencrantz raised his protest but Claudius had done his part.

“Away, for everything is sealed and done. That else leans on the affair. Pray you, make haste.” Claudius gave his command, and Rosencrantz left the hall. He then turned to the assembled.

“The matter will be dealt with soonest.” Claudius bowed to them and they took their leave. Gertrude followed on and was stopped by Claudius.

“My lover did I …”

“Hold not me back. I am returning to my chamber…alone. You may do as you wish. He is …who he is.” Gertrude too sad-stricken took her to leave.

All but the Emperor exit.

“England, if my love thou holdest at aught since yet thy cicatrice (A cicatrice is a scar, the mark left on your skin when a cut, scrape, or burn has started to heal.  ) looks raw and red after the cut.” Claudius left England without much of a glance when he heard of the call to Elsinore.

“I am called to Norway. I must go.” Claudius told his friends there. “Be bold without me. I will assist from there.”

Claudius left for Norway.

“Thy free awe, thou mayst not coldly set our sovereign process.” Claudius when he left without the next on the throne. The recent incidents made him call on England to assist. It was a letter to England to act on his call for the termination of Hamlet. The letter will becarried by his apprentices.

“Do it, England, for like the hectic in my blood he rages, and thou must cure me. Till I know ’tis done, however my haps, my joys will ne’er begin.” Claudius was upset at Hamlet for having accused him of murder and derailed his seat as the next ruler of Norway. When it's done, he will put it right into the sovereign process. He took one more look at the seat where he was seated. He pictured a sword over his head and knew that he must act to remove it.

“Soon, it will be over.” Claudius smiled. “Tally Ho.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...