Monday, April 10, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 4 Scene 4 Sub Scene 2

Act Four

Act Four Scene Four

Sub Scene Two

Pride and Prejudice

Alone by himself, Hamlet slipped into his pensive mood. He stood on the open view of the airship landing area. He watched the airships take off or land, some perfectly, some shaky at most till the wheels hit the solid ground. All the passengers seen had the same thought as him.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods. They kill us for their sport.” William Shakespeare, King Lear Hamlet had that cynical thought in his mind. He wondered how many airships had crashed, and lives lost.

“Do they swear revenge toward Gods? Or like me, undecisive or cowardly?” Hamlet sighed. He then looked in the direction of the castle.

“How all occasions do inform against me and spur my dull revenge. Do I hold the courage?”

“What is a man if the chief good and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more.” Some of us do with the contend of being fed and rest, nary a concern on the surrounding. Young Hamlet was one. “Sure He that made us with such large discourse, looking before and after, gave us not that capability and godlike reason to fust in us unused.”

“It’s the price of being in the upper niche of society, most times we utilised the spoils of our elderly  and claimed it for ourselves when an effort was not into it.”

“Now whether it be bestial oblivion or some craven scruple of thinking too precisely on the event; a thought which, quartered, hath but one part wisdom and ever three parts coward), I do not know.” Hamlet sighed. He is still in a dilemma. “Am I the fool or not?”

“Why yet I live to say. This thing’s to do, sith I have a cause, and will, and strength, and means to do ’t.” Hamlet continued. “Examples gross as Earth exhort me: witness this army of such mass and charge, led by a delicate and tender prince, whose spirit with divine ambition puffed (as ego does.).”

Other Norway with a huge army of five hundred led by, to Hamlet’s mind, an egoistic man to swat a gnat with the huge swatter. Maybe like Xerxes fighting Leonidas at the Battle of Thermopylae; a hundred thousand against three hundred, and victory it was but at a price.

“A tailor’s tale of swatting seven flies with one blow indeed.” Hamlet also thought of the fable of the tailor. “Makes mouths at the invisible event, exposing what is mortal and unsure to all that fortune, death, and danger dare, even for an eggshell.”

According to the fable, the tailor was put to perform certain tasks of danger but he achieved it with some smart thinking.

“Rightly to be great is not to stir without great argument, but greatly to find quarrel in a straw when honor’s at the stake.” Hamlet chuckled. “The achievement of one does not come from performing the great task, but the menial one did which may be one that will make him for greatness.”

Like an actor who graces the play in a minor role, but made an astonishing entry that many well remembered and paced the path to major roles. No one recalled his other menial parts before then.  

“How to stand I, then, that have a father killed, a mother stained, excitements of my reason and my blood, and let all sleep, while to my shame I see the imminent death of twenty-two thousand lives that for a fantasy and trick of fame go to their graves like beds, fight for a plot whereon the numbers cannot try the cause, which is not tomb enough and continent to hide the slain?”

“More than ten million died in the trenches of the last war (World War One), and to that, we had learned nothing.n Their lives are committed by others to fight for honor. On my honor, I have one death in my family not by the war, but of a different war. A war between the King and Emperor. The King was killed; a father by bloodline, and on my right, I am to avenge his death. I know of his killer, I had identified his killer. I had spent days pondering yet I am unmoving to my action.”

“O, from this time forth my thoughts be bloody or be nothing worth!” Hamlet forced his mind to think. “Am I truly lily-livered? I feel nothing of worth in me but anger.”

“Or am I mad to do anything? I am maybe that. I am mad in my mind to think of all acts, yet there were just plays. Acting before an audience and backstage I am my own. I am putting on faces for others.” Hamlet was in self-questioning then.

“Why me, Father? Do I deserve this? You whom I hated since five, banished me, and on your death, you called me back. I did reluctantly if not for Horatio’s pleading, I may not have.  I returned to see the woman I …loved, and yet hated too. You did me well; ghostly to appeal toward me, a tug on my heart, and bounded to seek your vengeance.”

“Father, you bred me to be an actor, not a Prince, nor a killer. I had heard of the evil deeds that you have done as King; taking another of their career or destroying their families, or taking their mortal life, it matters not to you. You were the King. The more I hear, I dislike you. I detest you.”

“Yet I returned.” Hamlet sighed. “I must have been mad.”

“Was it our bloodline to be mad?” Hamlet chuckled.

“But truly, it was not you came back for, but Ophelia. She is…not anymore, she was to be mine, but I had to bring her out. Away from your castle, and her father; he peeks when he should not…..  and your empire.”

“The truth, when I saw her, I could not. She was so much in there. I was in putting on faces to avoid her, and behind the faces, I was still attracted to her. I cared for her, loved her, and yet I am unable to fulfill my obligations toward her. I guess I was not to see her for my lover, but maybe… a sister.”

“Again, I was undecided.” Hamlet sighed.

“Decisions…decisions… to be or not to be? That was always my question.” Hamlet looked to the sky. “It was so easy to soar like a bird, but what if I was the ape that was not to leave the ground?”

“It was easy to defend what is yours? Two streets it may be to others, but a nation came to its aid knowing that the bloodbath will awash with theirs, and yet they are there.” Hamlet thought of the Polacks. “They are not mad, Father. They are passionate about what is theirs. As I must do for myself.”

“I must decide now. Or madness will take over me.” Hamlet looked at the airships. “I know now. I must reach my decision. If I can’t fly, I will be flown.”

“Father, I cannot be you entirely but I will act in parts like you. I will avenge your death as you wanted, and take Ophelia away. Thereafter, I will wait for the final curtain. What transpires behind the stage will be of myself/..” Hamlet rejoins the others.

 

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...