Saturday, August 28, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume 2 Stories 18

 The Hill behind my house.

 

Author's Note: I used the hill as a theme to denote the long-sufferings of the lady and how she moved on. She could have paused or stopped in her climb but she went on. She wanted to better herself after the release of her previous bond. She is a fighter and as the hill, it's a solitary warrior against the oncoming development. Both are dying in their ways, but both find a purpose to be there.

Living is using all your senses to enjoy the moments of it, even though it could be brief.

 

 

Contests rules:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It's not often I get to take walks but I made it an exception today. I got up this morning and decided to do it to the hill at the back of the house. It's not a high place but there are the steps that I need to mount. It's the only piece of the land which they have not put in any concrete slabs into the ground; well not yet, so I might as well enjoyed it before they do. I would probably be in the ground before they do them here but I am not taking my chance. As I have said, this occasion is a rare one to me. I have been sheltering myself within the four walls of my house with most times in the kitchen and the bedroom. I hardly ventured out from there unless it's Sunday to the church. Those were my only luxuries then but now I am a free bird again. Yes, I hear you up there, you rascal. Like the birds, I was a free bonny who would run the place and more so up and down his hill daily. I was then until eighteen before I got married and now after fifty years I am back to when I was eighteen. Funny how we older folks tend to repeat ourselves; it must be the need to be reminded before we forget ourselves.

 

I see those steps and I was told they numbered three hundred and nine to the top. Bloody use at that number at my age but if I have been pacing my twenty-five by eighty feet house more than a dozen times a day for that last fifty years, I am sure I can mount up those damn steps. I will be blessed as I may get to see more of this blasted place again beside the view from my windows before. It would be more than I have seen in the last years of the blasted Sean who still harbors his lust for me. Darned it, that must have been over sixty years when I allowed him to kissed me on my lips and that fool still thinks he would marry me in his blasted lifetime. By golly, he never moves from his family house next to ours and keeps on looking over the hedges into my yard when I am drying the clothes. I once shower him with my washing water but nothing seems to dampen his mood. I would say I should have married him but those days, it was not my decision but mom and pop's. Be heck with him, I am past my prime and he can wank his fantasy on my tombstone for all I care. Mary Anne, you sordid old lady; still thinking about those days. You got some steps to climb up there and clear your mind of those thoughts or Father Seamus would be pale-looking when he walked out of the confession booth.

 

Yes, the hill I am to climb; by golly, it looks rather big from this view. Maybe I ought to turn back and be that old frail lady than to die on the steps like a silly old hag trying to be a young jogger.

 

No, I would not turn back to my old life; I already spent fifty of my life years there. I am climbing up these steps again like when I was eighteen. I took my step and laid my hand on the wooden railings. It still feels cold and clammy like in the old days but then I had another warmer hand to pulled me up. That was how much I remember my dad as we used to climb up here when I was a kid. But not anymore as he's long gone. I felt the gravel stones on the steps below my leather-covered shoes but they are looser than before. I guess it must be from the running of those young joggers; they never did wipe their feet below before they mount the steps. We used to do that years ago, and that is probably what kept these steps still looking pristine for so many years.

 

Let's do it, Mary Anne; you old haggard. Yes, that's me now but I was Mary Anne the Light One then; me running upon the steps like a mountain goat. I was so strong and agile than now but now I am all solidified into a bent frame that they would probably straighten for my coffin when the time comes. I see the old oak tree still at the base of the hill. I stepped off the steps and walked towards the tree. I laid my hand on its trunk and looked for the particular spot on its bark. Oh my goodness, they have scarred the bark so much since then with those etchings, but here is mine. It said; "September 18th, 1961". Yes, it's still there as I can feel it as if it was that evening when I etched those words on it.

 

"Sorry, Mr.Oak. I thought it was to be my happiest day, but to be honest it was the day I became a slave. But today I am free of that oath and be gone to hell with those years. I thought I ought to apologies to you as you was the first I had told then and now I am telling you first of my liberty." I took my leave of the oak tree and walked to the steps again. Okay, it's doing it or be gone with my desire once and for all. I took the steps up one at a time and rested at every twenty or was it fifteen but who is counting then. Every time I rested on the steps, I get to view the place ever again like it was fifty years ago. But now I get to see is more houses and roads when those days they were scattered homes with smoking chimneys. The smell of the air then was roasts and bakes but today, it awful smell of God fearing fumes. Maybe if I go up more I might get to smell the clear hill trees forest air more.

 

Mary Anne, you done two hundred steps and nine steps. If you are thinking of quiting now, think again as its double that amount to go down to than to reach the top with half the number. But the smell here is better and the view is further but I would say is never the same as before. Even the trees up here are scarce and the thick undergrowth more or less gone. Those days I could take a nature call up here and nobody would had noticed. Its not that I needed one now but I had on my diapers which would probably took up the constant leaks. It won't dampen the air here with its smell but what I am smelling up here would not be a difference if I am on the road.

 

Mary Anne, its a third of the way so let's get it done with or you would put the Highlands to shame if you quit now. Think of the young dashing men up there with the kilts and dirks, and the pipers playing "Blue Bonnets Over the Border".

 

Come from the hills where your hirsels are grazing,

Come from the glen of the buck and the roe;

Come to the crag where the beacon is blazing,

Come with the buckler, the lance, and the bow.

Trumpets are sounding,

War-steeds are bounding,

Stand to your arms then, and march in good order;

England shall many a day

Tell of the bloody fray,

When the Blue Bonnets came over the Border.

 

( "Blue Bonnets Over the Border".Sir Walter Scott was steeped in the history of the Scottish Border country where he lived for a large part of his life. Here is one of his rousing, Border marching songs.' )

 

I hummed to myself as I mount the last hundred steps. Its an achievement for me but one I would say much came from my Highlands spirits to never give up. I stood up there and now I can see beyond the stacks of houses to the rolling hills and dipping valleys. Its a sight of an eighteen years girl then full with inspiration to faced the coming life. I used to say to myself 'come what may, nothing shall me back down from my dream.' Today I had that dream to mount up this hill again despite my age, pain and a missing leg. But before I can conclude the trip, I need to do one more thing. I reached for the nearby overhanging chestnut tree and pulled at its leaves. I took one of the leaves and placed it on my tongue. I could taste the acrid smell on the leaf but I am not really going to eat that green. I just want to blow it between my lips to hear the hymn again. But I failed to do so as it may be the wrong tree I think or my lungs are not as before.

 

Nevertheless, I am standing on top of the hill and free of my previous bonds. I am a free woman today standing on top of a hill admiring what was mine to admire fifty years ago. I chanced down the steps to see the perverted old man trying to make his way up.

 

"Sean Magnus, you perverted sicko. How dare you climbed up behind me and tries to peek under my skirt. I would had you charged with outrage of modesty." But you ought to admire his patience and true devotion after over fifty years, he still loves me still. Maybe he deserved a second chance. After all in life, not many gets a second chance. More to it, he was a great kisser.

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...