Monday, August 16, 2021

Dante Book 1 Canto IX Scene I

 Canto IX

The Furies

Scene 1

 

“Do any of those whose only punishment is deprivation of hope, ever descend, into the depths of this sad chasm, from the first circle?” Dante asked of Virgil after they had sat there pondering the next part of their journey.

“We must pass through the gates. Nothing can prevent us from doing that. After all, we have been promised help. Or …no, we will receive help, but it is taking more time than I like for help to get to us.” Virgil replied. He then looked at Dante.

“I told you I reached here, and I did go in…. rather I was offered a journey. Do you recall the witch named Erichtho from Lucan Pharsalia?” Virgil smiled.

“She was a witch that uses the body parts from the dead for her magic spells. In that she delights in otherwise heinous and macabre acts involving corpses; for instance, "when the dead are confined in a sarcophagus … then she eagerly rages every limb. She plunges her hand into the eyes, delights at digging out the congealed eyeballs, and gnaws the pallid nails on a desiccated hand." Dante recalled his readings.

“In Lucan Pharsalia, she was mentioned.” Virgil smiled. “I was into theology and myths too.”

“She was sought by Pompey’s on. Sextus Pompeius. He wanted her to perform a necromantic rife, that he might learn the outcome of the battle at Pharsalus. Erichtho complies and wanders amidst a battlefield to seek out a cadaver with "uninjured tissues of a stiffened lung". She cleans the corpse's organs and fills the body with a potion (consisting of, among other things, a mixture of warm blood, "lunar poison", and "everything that nature wickedly bears") to bring the dead body back to life. The spirit is summoned, but, at first, refuses to return to its old body. She then promptly threatens the entire universe by promising to summon "that god at whose dread name earth trembles". Immediately following this outburst, the corpse is reanimated and offers a bleak description of a civil war in the underworld, as well as a rather ambiguous then about the fate that lies in store for Pompey and his kin.

Sourced from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erichtho#Lucan's_Pharsalia.

“And I met her here. She gave me a task to travel to the pit of Judas at the bottom of the Inferno and bring out a spirit for her to consult. This is something she had done before. While I was still alive, she sent a soul to the bottom of the Inferno to retrieve another soul who would foretell the victor of the Battle of Pharsalia, in which the forces of Julius Caesar defeated the forces of Pompey. Because I have traveled throughout the Inferno, I well know the path that we will take and I am familiar with the place we are now. This swamp of the Styx surrounds the city of Dis, which we will enter although not — as you know — without some trouble.”

Extract from https://davidbruceblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/08/dantes-inferno-canto-9-retelling/

The shivers went up Dante’s body when he heard that but then he looked up, he saw the descending winged creatures.

“Enrinyes! They are also known as Furies! I read of them.” Dante recognized the creatures from their serpent for hair, and the blood on their body. They were said to wreak vengeance against children who killed their parents.

“I see them. They are named Megaera, Alecto, and Tisiphone in the middle.” Virgil called out.

The Furies hovered in the air, shrieking and tearing their skin with their fingernails, drawing blood. They shouted, “Come, Medusa, and turn this living man into stone. We let Theseus get away from us too easily.”

This is a threat that needs to be taken seriously, Virgil thought. Any living human being who looks at Medusa, who also has snakes for hair, will instantly be turned into stone.

Virgil told Dante, “Turn around and cover your eyes because if you see Medusa your journey is over and you will not return to the Land of the Living.”

Dante did as he was told, and Virgil also covered Dante’s eyes

Extract from https://davidbruceblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/08/dantes-inferno-canto-9-retelling/

When all was deemed to be doomed, a miracle happened.

It was a surreal sound that went above Dante and Virgil. It was so loud that it is timid even the roar of the hurricane. A hurricane in its wrath will tear through cities and all that was in its part was removed. It was God who was often viewed as the one causing such catastrophes but in the progress of learning, the hurricane was attributed to the movement of the air when warm air rose and cold air replaced it. It was a scientific solution but what caused it to be was considered as an act of God.

Such was the roar of the sound, that the perched ones on the wall wailed and fled the walls. Dante saw Virgil’s hands were removed from his eyes and he saw the soul of sinners who had earlier clamor to the surface had dove back in.

“Virgil, are we to be doomed?” Dante called out and with his ears clasped shut, he heard not the reply. He asked again with his hands dropped.

“I don’t think so. We may still see salvation. Virgil saved us.” Virgil spoke out. “Or rather Virgil 3.0 did.”

Dante looked up and saw the small orb was rotating rapidly in its ascent and it was emitting the sonar beam at a high frequency towards the furies. The furies were also leaving the wall from the sonar blasts.

“The orb had done what I could have thought of if given time on myself. It had out-thought itself here in the programs.” Virgil was elated to see his invention soaring.

“Good day, Creator. I have what you may term as ‘gave them a harrowing’ experience.” Virgil 3.0 greeted its creator. “I had heard you mentioned the Harrowing in Hell, and I did my references to it.”

“Why did you …. used the sonar beam?” Virgil asked.

“It was all I had. And what I was told or rather discreetly heard, there was a loud sound during the Harrowing of Hell, and these are intangible beings which I thought of sonar as the one weapon they may not be able to tolerate.”

“You are the despicable rebel….” Virgil laughed. “I am glad I gave you the tools to be made illogical decisions.” Virgil was elated at his invention.

“Despicable is your reference to me when I amazed you with my analytics. And in the true words of the Vulcan, illogical does not exist in my mind.” Virgil 3.0 did a series of spins in front of its creator.

“What infernal thing did you create?” Dante asked of the creator. “It displayed sarcasm.”

“Not much more than what God created in us. The ability to think for ourselves, and perform the unlikely. I am just recreating the new life into the mechanical being, but I am dead and my notes are in my mind. Alas, whatever I do will not see light. I do wish we could have clones.”

“Don’t despair for the works of clones had not yielded the required results. It was banned after the second generation. We should not …create an extension of life when life by itself is a gift to us by God.” Dante reverted to his theology self. There was the acceptance that the living could be lived on in clones but the latter proved to be defective and the clones were destroyed.

“Man has one lifetime to journey here. Its sacrileges if we are given the extension artificially.” The people were divided but the mass won were the minority wealth was not able to stop their protest. It was what Dante recalled then.

It was then when Dante saw a gate appeared on the wall. It opened wide.

“We go in,” Virgil told Dante. He then paused in his steps. “Before we go in, let me caution you that what you had seen in the other Circles, these may be more repulsive. You must…”

“I am fine, Virgil. I have learned to accept Hell.” Dante cut in.

“Clear your mind now. Go in there and see the new experiences, and offer no judgment.” Virgil told Dante. It then looked at the orb. “Return to me, Virgil 3.0. We have not completed the journey as yet.”

 




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...