Friday, August 13, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume 2 Stories 9

 Stay True.

 

Author's Note: This is a tale based on a photo.

 

Contests rules:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 



I drove up to the farm in the borrowed pickup as it's too far to walk. It's been like twelve years since I took this trail, and nothing has changed since then. The cedar tree still stands at the third turn and so is the wooden bridge. I thought of by now they would have done it better or make a new one, but the old one still stands. The stream below still flows like it was then when I ran across it to avoid the dogs. But those are the past and now I am back at the camp. On my next turn, I would come up to the main gate to the camp.

 

There its; the place I grew up in with my family and many others in the same area. We used to number about a hundred then from about fifteen families and some unmarried couples. Pop was the leader and me his second in command, even though I was thirty-five then. There was Ma, my brothers Irwin and Matthew plus my younger sister Annie. We were one happy family in a larger community of people who loved and cherish everyone in the camp. It was named the Community then, and we lived and protect each other. Everything we need was in the camp or the adjacent lands. It was fine then until the others came. They claimed to be Federal authorities and demanded to come into our camp. They said there have been reports of us kidnapping children and also of committing heinous crimes. Pop being our leader denied all that but he also refused them entry into our homes.

 

By then the men including myself have armed ourselves with guns to protect our homes and families. The unarmed folks stood in four lines with the children in the fore. They clamped their fists and raised them to their chest with elbows locked between them like a chain. On each of the people's inner sides of the palm including children are the words 'Stay True'. It's our call to stay true to the family and community. The joining of the first is to show our call to joins the two to become one. It means either one is the same as family and community are one. They soon chant the words that inspire us all then; stay true.

 

It was an action that nobody could explain what happened. One moment we were singing and then the shots rang out. I remember shooting the deputy who released his gun at my Pop. Then I remember being surrounded by a dozen or so men in the blue. Then I remembered the three shots that hit me causing me to blackout. One week later, I was to wake up in the hospital with my legs shackled to the bedposts. They sent me to Federal Prison for manslaughter twenty years but were later commuted to fifteen. I am on parole now.

 

But I am back.

 

There are two men at the gate, and they are armed with rifles.

 

"Howdy, I am here to see Irwin Wallace. I am his brother." I introduced myself to them, in case they forgot who I was. A decade of years can change a man and I am one of those.

 

"We know who you are. Irwin told us you might come back today. He is expecting you at the house." They raised the bar that latches the gate. They then pushed open the gate for me to drive on in. There have not been many changes since I left. The houses are all still there and so are the barns. There are farms and the orchards as where I remembered them. I saw the main house and I pulled up there. When I got out of my truck, I saw the kins coming out. It's a long-delayed reunion for all of us as no one comes to see me in the Prison. I embraced everyone but I can't find my Pop.

 

"Pop died three years back and I am in charge now. He was sick." I fell to my knees to asked for forgiveness as I was not there to see his soul leave for a better Kingdom. I hugged my Ma and we all went to the house. It was fine to be back and seeing the family but I had my chores to do. I asked Irwin if I could have a piece of land to build my house. He told me to do so at the adjacent land next to the house. I looked at it and find it's also next to the Community Rest Place. I agreed to the choice and I stared at my house. Everybody wanted to help me build my house, either with the assistance of hands or materials.

 

Finally, I build my house. It's a simple one with a high roof that projects up to the sky. It has one large hall and a smaller one in the rear. There are three windows on the sidewalls and a double door to act as the entrance. I furnished it with some benches to fill the hall. Then I build a small platform at the end of the Main Hall.

 

"It does not look like a house to me, brother." I looked at Irwin and smiled.

 

"The house of the Lord need not be lavish but it needs is the congregation here to rejoice and be praised in his presence. It's the same as we do here in this community. We are one big family who chooses to live together, rejoice in the love we all shared, and be praised for our community achievements. That's what Pop wanted to do when he started this camp. He wanted all his family and friends to be a happy community that can be lived together and is at peace. I am expanding his dream. I am bringing the belief of faith to his community. We all need faith in our life or we will be like floating driftwood on the ocean." My brother looked at me with disbelief. He's never been to a House of the Lord although he was brought up on the laps of my Ma with a book of faith read to him when small.

 

"You changed, brother. What did happen to you? Look at your fist. It says 'Stay True'. Are you diverted to something else?" Irwin has stepped back from me. He held onto the words that our Pop gave us years ago. It's his belief we shall always stay true to the belief. His belief then.

 

"I am still the same." I showed him my fists. The words are still there. "I stay true to our Pop's belief. But I place in now the final puzzle to his plan. I placed in it the love of God. Our community needs faith to believe it. Every community has one but we do not. We will grow better as one with the faith of God in our belief." I held out my arm to Irwin. "The House of Lord welcomes anyone anytime. My door is opened to all who wish to join me in having faith. Give yourself time and come when you are ready."

 

In the next five years, my congregation grew from my first guest which is my Ma, and then slowly the others. I did not get all to come into the house, but those who did were welcome with love. Irwin was one of the later ones to come. That evening after my congregation has gone back to their homes, I sat alone on the bench in the big hall. I took out the letter from my vest. It was written four years ago.

 

"Son, I could not come to see you where you are now. You are serving a period for my sins. I am so sorry. It was me who shot the Deputy first, and not you. But that is the past. Today, I am here to tell you I am sick. I would be going away soon, but hopefully, I will be seeing you again before I do. If I don't, I need to ask you a favor. I know of your conversion to your Ma's faith. She is a strong woman and a stronger one in her faith. She tried to raise all of you as God's children but I did not offer her that opportunity. Not even in this camp, I built myself. Over the years, I find something missing here and also in my life. I know now what it is now. Please come back to us and build a House of the Lord for the community. They are good people but they need a place to complete their faith in this lifetime. I begged of you to do so for that would strengthen my call of 'stay true'. Let them stay true to their faith in yours or any, but allowed them to display it as I had barred it before. I hope you would forgive me for denying you this too until now. Love, Pop."

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...