Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Dante Book 1 Canto X Scene II

 Scene 2

 

Farinata immediately wishes to establish to what party Dante's ancestors belonged. He brusquely asked Dante. Dante told him.

“I met you before at Florence. We were on opposing sides but you protected the City of Florence as your ancestors did before. I am the son of Alighieri di Bellincione X.” Dante told Farinata. “I am honored to meet you.”

“A line of my bitter enemy, they were to me. To my fathers, and my party, so that twice the hatred I have of your family. Many a time, you were scattered by us.”

“If they were scattered, still from every part, they formed again and returned both times,” Dante answered. “But yours have not yet wholly learned that art.”

Farinata glared at Dante on those words.

“And if,” Dante going on from his last words, he said, “Men of my line have yet to learn to that art, that burns me deeper than this flaming bed but the face of her who reigns in Hell shall not be fifty times rekindled in its course before you learn what griefs attend that art.”

“And as you hope to find the world again,” Dante sneered at Farinata. “Tell me: why is that populace so savage. In the edicts, they pronounce against my family and friends? The havoc and the carnage that rivals even this realm with its flow of blood had caused many vengeful cries from both sides.”

“I was not alone in that affair,” Farinata replied “If I was certain then, I would have not joined the rest without good reason but the rage in me was long embedded through the ages by calls of the ancestors. As had my forefathers, I too have saved Florence in my own time.”

“Then clear your conscience and mine so that we may put to rest,” Dante begged of Farinata. “This dark place had left my mind perplexed. Do guide me. I am told that the lost souls can tell the future.”

“You are mistaken. They can see the past. Or the present at times. It’s the gift of the soul.” Farinata replied. “It may be that the soul had been to many places that you may not have, but your soul did. Even your sleep, where do you think your soul go? It was to rest for it had its mind. It wanders in the realm and it pursued knowledge.”

“Do you sometimes have the déjà vu feel? Was I here before? Look into your soul, Dante.” Farinata looked at the poet. “You seem to see in advance all time’s intent, ever questioning if I have heard and understood correctly but you seem to lack all knowledge of the present.”

“Do you still believe that God still grants us that much light as in here? Do you see the night, as we once did? Yet we do not perceive it except what others bring us. They are the ones that passed us by in full sight like you. We know not of what but what you may tell us. Like Cavalante, he wakes every time he hears a familiar voice. He asked the familiar question and till now, he had naught for his question.”

“I am telling you for we will be dead forever.” Farinata laid out the truth.

“The truth I will speak now. Guido Cavalante son is alive as I saw him only before I descend here. He lives on. He leads the squad back in the forest. Seek his father’s pardon for me, as I did not speak well when he asked. I was confused. Who else lies here needs an answer, I will try to give to them nowhere and in the truth as I have seen? Let their souls rest.”

“How many lies here? This parcel of land?” Dante asked of Farinata.

“More than a thousand cram this parcel of land. The tombs are inside and may have fallen through the bottom. I can tell you second Frederick is here, and one Cardinal. Of the rest let us be dumb.” Farinata then returned to the mire and into it to his tomb.

Dante stood there disheartened and it was Virgil who spoke to him.

“What troubles you? Why do you look so vacant and downhearted?”

“Well, may you bear these words in mind?” Dante pointed to the top with his right index finger. “Now pay attention to what I tell you here: When finally, you can stand before the ray of that light whose bright eye sees all, you will learn the turnings of your way.”

“Let us move on. I have seen enough yet much I had to do.” Dante sighed then and from we moved on ignoring the parcels of land and their callings of the others. We held no stops but straight walks making tracks of our own.


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...